Canon 6d mk2 coming soon!

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to reports, the Canon 6d mk2 "entry level" full frame camera is being launched on Thursday (29th June), replacing the original 6d that's been out for coming up to 5 years now. Leaked specs seem OK, with an articulating touchscreen, 45 point all cross type AF system and 26mp ... BUT... no 4k video and only a single SD card slot!

Have Canon gone far enough with this camera? Has it closed the gap on the Nikon D750? ... Speaking of which, the Nikon is rumoured to being replaced itself shortly, so the gap will widen again in favour of the Nikon. Canon will be playing catch-up yet again. Maybe they should've knocked the specs outta the park to future-proof it a bit. However, I can understand that they don't want to make it too attractive to potential 5D4 purchasers.

Anyhow, has anyone else been waiting for this camera to enter the fray? ... and are you happy with the leaked specs so far? ...

Canon EOS 6D Mark II Detailed Specifications
  • Number of effective pixels: 26.2 million pixels (total number of pixels: 27.1 million pixels)
  • DIGIC 7
  • 45 points AF – All Crosstype
  • Dual pixel CMOS AF
  • 7560 pixels RGB + IR metering sensor
  • Viewfinder: 98% coverage
  • Viewfinder magnification: 0.71x
  • Continuous: Up to 6.5 frames / sec (up to about 4 frames / sec when servo AF is set for Live View shooting)
  • Standard ISO: 100 – 40000 (extended ISO: 50 [L], 51200 [H 1], 102400 [H 2])
  • Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30 seconds
  • Sync Speed 1/180
  • Video: Full HD 60p
  • 5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilization
  • Fully Articulating 3" touchscreen
  • Anti-flicker
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • NFC
  • GPS
  • Electronic level
  • Battery: LP-E6N / LP-E6
  • Number of pictures per charge: Approx. 1200 pictures (when viewfinder shooting)
  • Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I card compatible)
  • Size: 144.0 x 110.5 x 74.8 mm

Looks like a good step up from the current 6. I think you're right about leaving a gap to the 5dm4, I'd still go for that.

Looks OK, is this the first Canon with the 5-axis IBIS? If so it's a bit of a game changer. Single card slot is unforgivable imo. Whilst it's an entry level FF it's still a prosumer/enthusiast body and as such who in that category is happy to shoot without a backup? I know my EM1 only has one slot (mark ii has 2) but I would never buy another camera that doesn't have dual.

Metering looks down compared to the nearest competition with 'only' circa 7.5k. I guess sensor performance with be similar to the 5D4 so 'decent'.

I guess it depends on the price but knowing Canon it'll be more than the D750 and so you'll be paying more for a camera that's not as good.

I'm looking to replace a Canon 5D Mark III with this as the dynamic range should be much better and in line with the 5D Mark IV.

Its announced rather than launched isn't it? Normally there is some delay between the two.

There's always got to be space between it and the 5D4 plus presumably also the entry level pro cini cams. Certainly enough on other forums think the 5D4 was hamstrung with such a poor codec for 4K to prevent cannibalization. With the 6D being much cheaper the codec issue may have been something people are more willing to accept hence dropping it

Looks OK, is this the first Canon with the 5-axis IBIS?

It's electronic only stabilisation so I expect it to be rubbish.

One big advantage newer Canons have over the Nikons is excellent live view autofocus for video.

It's electronic only stabilisation so I expect it to be rubbish.

One big advantage newer Canons have over the Nikons is excellent live view autofocus for video.
Don't get me started on Nikon's live view :mad::laugh:

So, it's announced! :rolleyes: Are we underwhelmed? ..... Overjoyed? ..... Pre-ordering? ..... :eek:

No 4K video? That's going to cost them some sales!

I think Canon realise the potential purchasers of this camera only dabble with video. While some of the vloggers may have bought into it had it been 4K, most seem to prefer something light they can slap on a stick and walk around with, the 6D2 would probably be too big.

The Ibis, if it s anything like on the 77D it is quite good. It only works in video, but does no cropping etc which is better than some others. I am not sure how the 5th axis works however, I would love to see an explanation somewhere.

There has also been a lot of people complaining it has no focus peaking. I am not into video so I may be way off base. To me it seems like a feature you need when the AF is not very good at its job. With DPAF being so accurate, is it still needed? Maybe some video geeks can enlighten me on this.

Other than that, looks like a great camera for its target market. I bet it will fly off the shelves, just like the old 6D did.

I think Canon realise the potential purchasers of this camera only dabble with video. While some of the vloggers may have bought into it had it been 4K, most seem to prefer something light they can slap on a stick and walk around with, the 6D2 would probably be too big.

The Ibis, if it s anything like on the 77D it is quite good. It only works in video, but does no cropping etc which is better than some others. I am not sure how the 5th axis works however, I would love to see an explanation somewhere.

There has also been a lot of people complaining it has no focus peaking. I am not into video so I may be way off base. To me it seems like a feature you need when the AF is not very good at its job. With DPAF being so accurate, is it still needed? Maybe some video geeks can enlighten me on this.

Other than that, looks like a great camera for its target market. I bet it will fly off the shelves, just like the old 6D did.
Focus peaking helps in manual focus. I'd rather they invented a digital form of a split prism though as I find focus peaking distracting sometimes.

With the 10* zoom feature is focus peaking needed? As I said, I am not a video shooter so have little clue about these things. I probably shoot less than an hour of video a year.

With the 10* zoom feature is focus peaking needed? As I said, I am not a video shooter so have little clue about these things. I probably shoot less than an hour of video a year.
Dunno, I don't shoot video either :laugh:

I've had my 6d for about 3 years now and there have been rumours about a replacement for almost as long. I actually thought Canon were never going to release a mkii as so much time has passed that they would have done it a year or two ago.

Now we finally have a mkii and the specs are roughly what I expected. I would have liked 4k video but I am quite happy with 1080p/60 as it suits my needs and I much prefer 60fps to 30 anyway regardless of resolution.

Initially I thought I would not upgrade but I have found that the limitations of the 6d have occasionally been evident in use (low fps and poor tracking, a few focus points and only one that I actually trust, no tilt screen etc). What's never been in question is the image quality so if the mkii is improved and to be on par with the 5div then that is even better.

I've built up a nice collection of Canon glass since purchasing the 6d so I'm invested in the system now and upgrading to the mkii would be a logical choice as I simply cannot justify the extra cash needed for a 5div, especially when you factor in trade-in / sale price of my current 6d with grip and relatively low shutter count, it will halve the price of the mkii. It certainly becomes an attractive proposition. I will wait for some early reviews but I do think that I will be upgrading to the mkii.

To further add to my post I am pleased about the 4k time lapse and having an intervalometer built in. It means I don't have to carry an extra remote cable around to achieve the same thing.

With trips to USA in the autumn and Japan in the spring the thought of capturing 4k time lapse at such stunning locations has even more potential than before.

Say what you will about Canon not keeping up with rival manufacturers but they can make cameras that just work as they are supposed to. Mirrorless might be the future but they do suffer in areas that a regular DSLR does not and they haven't quite nailed the ergonomics or ease of use of a DSLR either.

That's pretty damning. If the Mkii had the same sensor as the Mki then you might put the differences in variance between a "good" copy and a "bad" copy but given it's a new sensor it looks like they aimed at the same performance (?) and missed :eek:
I know others, US based hence the naming, have speculated that as its Canon's "entry level full frame" that they've moved the 6D more into the space of a FF Rebel than it being one step below a pro camera. In reality its still both given the next one up is the 5D iv but its certainly not good news for the majority

Seems Canon have sold out, back orders filling etc. Looks like they know what they are doing.

I feel many have expectations that are too high for what really is an entry level model.

Seems Canon have sold out, back orders filling etc. Looks like they know what they are doing.

I feel many have expectations that are too high for what really is an entry level model.
People buy shiny new things that's just the way that it is. I agree that our expectations are very high these days, but I think the absolute least that we can expect is that no part of the camera is worse than the previous generation, especially when it's 5 years old. To have the main part of the camera (sensor) having worse performance is poor imo.

Probably, but £2k is a big chunk of money. As Toby intimated, this is essentially a step back in time, using basically old parts and tech paired up to a new sensor that seemingly ain't a better performer than that in the mk1 (or 80d in terms of DR).

IMO, this FF 80d camera shouldn't cost more than £1k.

Canon are taking the pi** out of its customers with this offering (and others) BUT, it will still be bought in large numbers so ultimately Canon will continue to treat us with distain and put the bare minimum into their future cameras. Good luck to them if they can get away with it. If we voted with our feet and didn't buy it, they would have to be more ambitious/competitive with their offerings instead of drip-feeding us tiny "upgrades" every five years.

People buy shiny new things that's just the way that it is. I agree that our expectations are very high these days, but I think the absolute least that we can expect is that no part of the camera is worse than the previous generation, especially when it's 5 years old. To have the main part of the camera (sensor) having worse performance is poor imo.

The sensor seems to show more detail, and retains that detail as the ISO increases. That is not too bad, at least from the early samples. If we are talking of replacement models having worse performance in some areas we could look at the Nikon D7500.

When the 6D first arrived, every single review lambasted it in so many ways. It was universally slagged off on forums, blogs, photography sites and many mags. As time moved on people began to see its strengths, where it really shined. It ended up being a great selling camera, a reliable beast that excelled in low light. Maybe the new model will succeed, maybe not. I think it is a little too early to really tell. It is not a model that I will ever be buying, it just doesn't fit my needs. I reckon there are plenty who will grab them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom