Question Canon 5D MK IV - Lens Recommendation?

henda1988

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Ladies & Gents,

I currently own a Canon 5D MK IV with a 50mm 1.8 STM & 24mm-105mm II USM.

I am looking for a few recommendations on lens' whether that be Canon made or Canon fit alternatives.

Potentially looking at shooting wildlife and I have a potential interest in the close up photography of insects so a lense recommendation for that would be great.

I also like shooting sports, portraits and landscape as well.

Any lens recommendations would be great.

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry cannot suggest anything but would help other if you confirm a budget?

I know for Nikon some of the good lenses are the 24-70 which I think you already have covered and 70-200 f2.8 or even f4.

I have the Sigma 100-400 OS contemporary, it does not have such a wide max aperture as the canon 100-400 IS L II but is significantly lighter and is very sharp wide open ( very similar performance to Canon) and is about 1/2-1/3 the price (£600ish), the Tamron version is also supposed to be very good (I use it on a 6D).

Sigma C 100-400 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM review - Introduction - LensTip.com

Tamron 100-400 mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD review - Introduction - LensTip.com

Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM review - Introduction - LensTip.com

I would heartily recommend the Canon 100-400II. It is superb as a general wildlife lens. The Is, focus speed, contrast, sharpness and build are top notch. Mine is very abused at least three days a week and performs brilliantly.

If money is of no worry then the 500 or 600mm canon lenses are great. The 500 is fine handheld but the 600 enters tripod territory. Personally I find tripods restrictive so mine stays in the boot most of the time.

As for macro lenses I’ve owned and extensively used many. On a FF body the Canon 100mm L IS is the pick of the bunch. Mine doesn’t get used much these days as I prefer to shoot macro on a crop body with the 60mm or MPE-65. But when my FF does get used for macro it is the go to lens.

If you want to get serious about macro then you will also need to think about lighting. Will you want to shoot using natural light or will you want to utilise flash? Using flash can make things easier and harder at the same time. It also opens up more possibilities.

Last edited:
Sorry to be pedantic it is Lens not Lense
Well, you are obviously not sorry, or you wouldn’t have posted.

Despite being a Geordie, I am sure the OP can spell. Like most of us, the odd typo is easy to make. What is not easy is editing the title after the fact as the forum software restricts that. So it is sometimes painful when you go back and notice that your blooming autocorrect on your phone or tablet has decided to play silly beggars with your text. Someone coming along weeks later is just jabbing a hot poker in your eyeball. And yes, I am aware it is typed three times in one post, but sometimes blooming autocorrect does that so I am prepared to give a little benefit of the doubt here.

+1 for 100-400 and macro lenses as next ones to try for what you like to shoot.

Well, you are obviously not sorry, or you wouldn’t have posted.

Despite being a Geordie, I am sure the OP can spell. Like most of us, the odd typo is easy to make. What is not easy is editing the title after the fact as the forum software restricts that. So it is sometimes painful when you go back and notice that your blooming autocorrect on your phone or tablet has decided to play silly beggars with your text. Someone coming along weeks later is just jabbing a hot poker in your eyeball. And yes, I am aware it is typed three times in one post, but sometimes blooming autocorrect does that so I am prepared to give a little benefit of the doubt here.

You're right, it isn't easy editing it on the mobile version, unless i'm just missing something, hence the reason it wasn't edited.

Anyway, that CanNik lad decided to message me today, nearly 2 weeks after he posted on here to outline that "There is no "e" on the word Lens "

What an absolute idiot. Some people seriously have no life. The only joy I think they get is correcting others because it gives them a semi.

We lived in the North of England once" Pontefract, filthy.

We always knew when we were entering the North divide, the graffiti would start as would the litter and dirt along the sides of the road, and when you finally started to leave, the litter ended as did the graffiti.

One assumes that bad spelling and litter is a way of life ooop norf

Anyway, as I have no interest in this forum, boring, bye

Last edited:
We lived in the North of England once" Pontefract, filthy.

We always knew when we were entering the North divide, the graffiti would start as would the litter and dirt along the sides of the road, and when you finally started to leave, the litter ended as did the graffiti.

One assumes that bad spelling and litter is a way of life ooop norf

Anyway, as I have no interest in this forum, boring, bye

A little bit of a baby aren't you.

Imagine living a life that is fuelled by correcting another persons mistake. I bet you're a barrel of laughs to live with.

Two more missed full stops and what's with the single quotation marks after "once"?

(Hopefully this is grammatically correct).

Definitely recommend the 100-400L IS. I got wildlife shots in Sri Lanka without putting myself in danger. The IS is superb - shots you think you've missed are still sharp. Focus is as fast as you need. 100 is wide enough so you can survey the scene, find a target and zoom in within a few seconds. The focusing options in the IV, especially the 3X3 pattern mean you have to be blind or dead not to get a crisp shot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom