• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

canon 5d mk ii - price drop

gangsterman

do you think a second hand canon 5d mk ii will drop under £700 when the canon 5d mk iii is released?
if not how much?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jammyb

Get one for a grand maybe if you're lucky, I doubt second hand prices will drop too much over what they are now.

twist

Distinguished Member
Well used they seem to fetch 1250-1300 now so I wouldve thought to about 1000-1100. The 5D3 will not launch for current 5D2 RRP. Itll be quite a lot more 5D was $3300, 5D2 was $2700 at launch.

JDE

Agree with the above, the 5D3 will be £2.5k + and it'll hold that price for a while which means there won't be much downwards pressure on used 5D2 prices. The 5D2 is still a very capable camera (albeit with slightly ropey AF) and Canon has no real reason to rush a replacement out while it's still selling well.

It'll be interesting to see what the 5D3 brings to the table, given that the 1DX is 'only' 18MP, if they use the same sensor it'll be a 3MP drop on the 5D2 which although it'd probably produce better IQ, would probably be seen negatively by the consumer (although it'd be nice to think that if you're buying a camera of that price you'd know that more MP doesn't = better IQ). Of course it's possible that they've developed another full frame sensor for the 5DIII (unlikely given the high costs of developing and manufacturing full frame sensors) but then would they put more MP in a camera that sits below their flagship? It's gonna be interesting...

TRL

Banned
I'm going to guess the mkiii will be 25-35mp, a slower frame rate than the 1x of around 6.5-8 fps, and maybe accurate and usable autofocus for the HD video.

Tony

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Of course it's possible that they've developed another full frame sensor for the 5DIII (unlikely given the high costs of developing and manufacturing full frame sensors) but then would they put more MP in a camera that sits below their flagship? It's gonna be interesting...
They already have. The 5D MkII is their highest MP camera, the 1Ds is no more, and the still current 1D MkIV is only 16MP.

I think it will be more interesting to see how Canon plug the now very large gap between the 1D X and the 5D MkII. I'm not sure they are going to want to push up the price of entry to full frame to do that. The 5D/D700 market is too large to slap a £1000+ price hike on. Certainly any new model will initially command a premium, but I would not expect much SRP difference.

Given that both Canon and Nikon are due refreshes of various competing models, it will be an interesting year in 2012 gear wise...

Canon 1D X vs D?
5D MkII / D700 refreshes?
7D / D300s refreshes?

The 1D X surprised me, so I've no idea what that lot could bring.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom