Canon 50mm f/1.4 Build Quality?

happyhomer

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1.4 to replace my 1.8 MkII. Whilst I am generally pleased with the upgrade, I have noticed that there is a fair amount of side-to-side movement of the "inner barrel" (the part that moves in & out when focussing). When I compared this with the 1.8 I noticed something similar, but the heftier build of the 1.4 makes it more noticeable, to the degree that if I pick up the camera quickly when the lens is attached I can feel the movement in the lens (a light "clunk" is the best way I can describe it). Image quality seems fine (though f/1.4 DOF up-close takes a bit of getting used to!); I just wondered if this movement in the lens is normal-perhaps some other owners of the same lens could comment?

Many thanks in advance!

I don't own either lens (would like a 50mm f/1.8 someday) but my first impression is that something doesn't sound right there to be honest. I wouldn't envisage any 'clunk' noise being part of the design.

Perhaps people with personal experience might be able to shed more light...

I don't own either lens (would like a 50mm f/1.8 someday) but my first impression is that something doesn't sound right there to be honest. I wouldn't envisage any 'clunk' noise being part of the design.

Perhaps people with personal experience might be able to shed more light...

I agree.. that doesn't sound right. I have been looking at the Canon 50mm F1/2 and if you say your preivous version had and it was worst in the F1/4 then the F1/2 should be the worst :p. Saying that is shouldn't be the case as the F1/2 version is an L class lens meaning there is good build quality. Did you get both lens from the same supplier. I say if you did then i go have a word with them.

There's not much wrong with the build of the 50/1.4 but it could do with proper ring USM. Neither of the ones I've had, nor the 50/1.2, exhibited what you're describing though.

Thanks for the replies so far. It does seem that something may be amiss. I often drive through Stoke, so perhaps a trip to Lehmanns would be in order-I didn't buy the lens from a shop, but I've got a UK invoice. I guess I could give them a ring first to talk about it.

I agree, I have both lenses, the 1.4 is in a different league to the 1.8 . I find it quite well built TBH
What you describe is not right

I've got the lens in my hand now, and if I hold it around the focussing ring and the rear end then move it gently from side to side the inner barrel clearly rattles from side to side. This happens at both minimum and maximum focus settings-definitely not right then?

Not right.. even my 1.8 doesnt rattle

something wrong with ur lens IMO, send it back for another

the 1.8 compared to the 1.4 feels like a plastic toy!

I've got the lens in my hand now, and if I hold it around the focussing ring and the rear end then move it gently from side to side the inner barrel clearly rattles from side to side. This happens at both minimum and maximum focus settings-definitely not right then?

Definately not right...mine doesn't do that.

My f/1.4 is definately a step up from my (old) f/1.8 in terms of build quality. However neither rattled...

I've just come off the phone to Lehmanns, who said that a degree of movement in the inner barrel is normal. However they're happy to check it out as it's under warranty, so I'll get it to them ASAP. Thanks to all for your replies :smashin:

I've got the 1.8 version and whilst it's a bit "flimsy" as far as build quality goes it certainly doesn't rattle, they are Nikons at the end of the day and I can't see a rattle being "normal".

I was passing Jessops today and thought I'd pop in & see if they had a 1.4 that I could compare side-by-side with mine. Luckily they did, so I checked it out, and they were both the same! Perhaps I'm being over-critical, so I'm happy to live with it for now. As I mentioned before there's no problem with the IQ, and there's 10 months left on the warranty so I've got plenty of time to get it sorted if it deteriorates.
Thanks again to all those who took the time to reply.

Mine rattles a bit too, not much but it's does slightly, I think it's normal, I am sure I saw it mentioned in reviews too.

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom