1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon 50mm 1.8 II vs 85mm 1.8 vs 100mm macro

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, May 4, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My brother-in-law is coming over and can bring me a lens. I now have to decide which of these 3 to go for (I know there is a big price difference but am prepared to pay). I need to let him know in the next day or so.

I will use it mainly for portraits of the kids and candid shots.

Any suggestions?

2. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    80mm is the focal length usually used for portraits. I presume you have a 300D,350D,20D with a 1.6x crop factor, which makes the 50mm work like 80mm. The 85mm and 100mm may be a bit long when you take that 1.6x into account (136mm and 160mm respectively) so I'd probably say, based on your requirements, go for the 50mm.

3. SnowCat

SnowCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for 50mm/f1.4 if it is possible. It is one of the sharpest lenses out there :) One more thing to consider - the II make of 50/1.8 lens has plastic bayonet (unlike the first make and 50/1.4 both of which have metal ones).

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'd go for the 85mm - i find 50mm a little too short for portraits, and like Snowcat says the 50/1.8 is made from cheap plastic so, as good as it is, you might feel a little let down by it.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the 85 1.8 and i'm off to get my replacement 50 1.4 today (first one developed a fault) both great lenses and not like to choose between the two the 50 will give you half body shots, the 85 shoulder and head shots if you're in an average size room

6. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    50mm f1.8 is a great lens, the cost factor means that well, bang for buck its priceless

7. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Boy am I confused. My initial instinct was to go for the 50mm for cost effectiveness. Then I read reviews on FredMiranda saying that it's soft wide open. This defeats the purpose of getting a fast lens. The 85mm gets very good reviews. For 100 pounds more the 100mm gets even better reviews and adds 1:1 macro. I think I'm inclining towards the 85 but will still give it a bit of thought.

8. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the 50mm f1.4 (on a 350D) and it's slightly soft and has CA from 1.4 to 2.2. However, the quality from 2.2 is astounding. And the softness wide open is less than the camera shake you'd get at 2.2. Also, it can't be used in bright light any more open than 2.2. Having said all this, and knowing the limitations of the lens, it is by far the most productive and creative lens I have!

9. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the 50mm 1.8 is soft wide open - but stop it down to 2.5 or 2.8 and you'll find it is razor sharp!

You can buy it for something like £60 from 7DayShop. I suggest you buy it yourself and get your brother-in-law to bring you the 100mm macro. That way you can do low light portraits, closer portraits and macro stuff...