• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Canon 400D to 100D upgrade?

LeeroyB

Hi guys,

I’ve had my 400D for quite a number of years now and feel like an upgrade might be due. I’d love to be able to afford a full frame camera to take advantage of being able to use higher ISO’s in low light conditions, but due to the price, coupled with the fact I’d need a whole new set of lenses, it’s pretty much out of the question.

Therefore, I wondered if you think I would benefit by upgrading to a 100D? From doing a bit of research it seems like the 100D is the best available buy (out of Canon products) for that price range. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Many thanks.

Peeej

I looked at the 100D when I got my 600D and found that it was a little to small for my liking. My fingers didn't fit round the drip and my pinky finger was hanging off the end.

Other than that it was a nice camera fraid I don't know much about the technicalities but I thought it was a little uncomfortable compared to the 600d

LeeroyB

Thanks, Peeej. I'm hoping it'd be the opposite in my case since I do suffer from shaky hands a bit, so I'm hoping something a bit smaller and lighter may assist, even if by only a little bit, trying to shoot with a more steady hand. Plus I do have fairly small hands as well!

I'm just hoping it'd also be an improvement in other areas as well.

loz

Distinguished Member
There's a good argument that
Thanks, Peeej. I'm hoping it'd be the opposite in my case since I do suffer from shaky hands a bit, so I'm hoping something a bit smaller and lighter may assist, even if by only a little bit, trying to shoot with a more steady hand. Plus I do have fairly small hands as well!

I'm just hoping it'd also be an improvement in other areas as well.

There's a good argument that actually bigger and heavier is better at counteracting shaky hands as that makes the camera more stable...

But the best solution for shaky hands is probably to make sure you buy a kit that includes an IS lens

The main improvement of the 100D compared to your 400D is going to be the sensor of course which is nearly double the resolution.

At the same price point, the advantage of the 100D over say the 600D (which is still available in some stores) is the hybrid sensor but this is mainly only of benefit when shooting movies or live view. The 600D does have the swivel LCD which can be very useful, whereas the 100D is touch sensitive which is also very nice.

But the 100D is probably the best VFM Canon DSLR at the moment in their current line up.
You also get a free tripod and remote control at the moment 100D Promotion -

Be sure to use Compare Canon Digital SLRs Price Comparison, Compare Prices And Save Now! to find the best deals (no affiliation on my part there...)

LeeroyB

There's a good argument that

There's a good argument that actually bigger and heavier is better at counteracting shaky hands as that makes the camera more stable...

But the best solution for shaky hands is probably to make sure you buy a kit that includes an IS lens

The main improvement of the 100D compared to your 400D is going to be the sensor of course which is nearly double the resolution.

At the same price point, the advantage of the 100D over say the 600D (which is still available in some stores) is the hybrid sensor but this is mainly only of benefit when shooting movies or live view. The 600D does have the swivel LCD which can be very useful, whereas the 100D is touch sensitive which is also very nice.

But the 100D is probably the best VFM Canon DSLR at the moment in their current line up.
You also get a free tripod and remote control at the moment 100D Promotion -

Be sure to use Compare Canon Digital SLRs Price Comparison, Compare Prices And Save Now! to find the best deals (no affiliation on my part there...)

Thanks loz. I had some vouchers for Amazon so I bought the 100D with 18-55mm III Lens last night. There was only a £10 difference between buying just the body or one with the Kit lens.
I then bought the 18-55mm IS STM Lens for £70 and plan on recouping some of the money from that by selling the III lens.

loz

Distinguished Member
Thanks loz. I had some vouchers for Amazon so I bought the 100D with 18-55mm III Lens last night. There was only a £10 difference between buying just the body or one with the Kit lens.
I then bought the 18-55mm IS STM Lens for £70 and plan on recouping some of the money from that by selling the III lens.

That sounds like a very good deal. Where from?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom