• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Canon 400d Half Black Photo Problem

thefeature

Standard Member
Hi,

This is my first time posting on the forum but it seems as though there are a lot of experts here that might be able to help, as I have tried scouring the internet for my problem and cannot find an answer.

I have a Canon 400d and it has been working fine up until recently. No matter which lens I use (default 18-55mm lens or my other Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens), my pictures seem to only take a third of an image. The rest is faded out black, as you can see here:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r572/bhuk83/cannon_pictures_007_Small.jpg
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r572/bhuk83/cannon_pictures_006_Small.jpg

I have tried factory resetting back to default settings and both AF and manual mode, so I am not exactly sure what the problem could be?

I currently have a SanDisk 4GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card in the camera, and wonder if it is this that is faulty - or something else internally?

Note: One other thing I noticed recently, before I made the factory reset, is that the camera often gave the 'busy' message a lot in AF mode even when I wasn't shooting continuously and tried all the standard troubleshooting - such as standing further back, waiting for a period of time for flash to recharge etc.

That is why I was wondering if a faulty card could cause this black fade problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

thefeature

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply - although that was not the answer I was hoping for! ;)

It is out of warranty, so I might have a look at the shutter/mirrors to see if I can locate the exact problem. Failing that, it looks like I might have to send it away for repair.

John7

Prominent Member
To me, it lloks like the mirror is not fully raising.

Set a longish shutter speed (4 or 5 seconds) take the lens off, look into the mirror box and fire the shutter - you should be able to see if it is the mirror or the shutter.

I doubt very much whether a repair to either of those parts would be cost effective though, probably cheaper to sell it on e bay for parts and buy yourself a new one IMHO

cosmicma

Established Member
you mentioned flash
what shutter speed are you using ?

the camera will not sync with the onboard flash above 1/250th and will cause blacking out of some of the photo but i have never seen it that severe before

DolbyDan

Prominent Member
Shutter looks shot unfortunately

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
The EXIF data on the images you posted showed a shutter speed of 1/500th Sec and no flash,

If you were using flash it would have been the shutter speed was the problem (Too High, Flash will only Sync upto 1/200sec on the 400D)

But as these images were not taken with flash then its a sticky shutter I am afraid. On a 400D probably cost more than the value of the camera I am afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom