Canon 400d Half Black Photo Problem

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by thefeature, Jul 28, 2012.

1. thefeature

thefeature
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first time posting on the forum but it seems as though there are a lot of experts here that might be able to help, as I have tried scouring the internet for my problem and cannot find an answer.

I have a Canon 400d and it has been working fine up until recently. No matter which lens I use (default 18-55mm lens or my other Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens), my pictures seem to only take a third of an image. The rest is faded out black, as you can see here:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r572/bhuk83/cannon_pictures_007_Small.jpg
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r572/bhuk83/cannon_pictures_006_Small.jpg

I have tried factory resetting back to default settings and both AF and manual mode, so I am not exactly sure what the problem could be?

I currently have a SanDisk 4GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card in the camera, and wonder if it is this that is faulty - or something else internally?

Note: One other thing I noticed recently, before I made the factory reset, is that the camera often gave the 'busy' message a lot in AF mode even when I wasn't shooting continuously and tried all the standard troubleshooting - such as standing further back, waiting for a period of time for flash to recharge etc.

That is why I was wondering if a faulty card could cause this black fade problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,063
    Looks like it could be a shutter or a mirror problem,its not a card problem.

If it still under g/tee take it back,if not it might have to go Canon for repair.

:)

3. thefeature

thefeature
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - although that was not the answer I was hoping for! ;)

It is out of warranty, so I might have a look at the shutter/mirrors to see if I can locate the exact problem. Failing that, it looks like I might have to send it away for repair.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    To me, it lloks like the mirror is not fully raising.

Set a longish shutter speed (4 or 5 seconds) take the lens off, look into the mirror box and fire the shutter - you should be able to see if it is the mirror or the shutter.

I doubt very much whether a repair to either of those parts would be cost effective though, probably cheaper to sell it on e bay for parts and buy yourself a new one IMHO

5. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    you mentioned flash
    what shutter speed are you using ?

the camera will not sync with the onboard flash above 1/250th and will cause blacking out of some of the photo but i have never seen it that severe before

6. DolbyDan

DolbyDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Shutter looks shot unfortunately

7. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    The EXIF data on the images you posted showed a shutter speed of 1/500th Sec and no flash,

If you were using flash it would have been the shutter speed was the problem (Too High, Flash will only Sync upto 1/200sec on the 400D)

But as these images were not taken with flash then its a sticky shutter I am afraid. On a 400D probably cost more than the value of the camera I am afraid.