Canon 400 in singapore

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jagdeepp, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Guys, i'm currently on hol's out in Singapore. Was in a massive complex where i haggled for over an hour with a guy selling cameras. Managed to bring him down to the equivalent of 333 quid for a canon 400d with kit brand new. Now i've checked on various sites and it looks like i'm getting an awesome deal. I've also managed to swing him into agreeing to give me a 2 gb memory stick.

I have a question. Having looked at various reviews it would appear that the standard lens is not the creme de la creme. Thinking therefore of going for body only and negotiating a seperate lens. He showed me what i think was a 75mm? it was marked 'high definition' and had a wider lens. Which lens would you recommend for a sharper and better pic than the standard. Not looking for a mega expensive one just better than the standard. Advice appreciated with a sense of urgency since i've to get less than 72 hours left in the country....

2. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Canon 50mm 1.8f: a great, sharp and fast prime lens and is absolutly dirt cheap. I got mine for under $100s...

Canon 70-200 f4 or f2.8 (depending on budget) is a good choice for a zoom.

you may find a 75mm a little long for an everyday lens. remember to multiple the lens length by 1.6 to adjust for the 400d sensor crop factor. so a 75mm becomes a 120mm lens.
    although 75mm seems an odd focal length... canon have a 50mm, 60mm and 85mm series of lenses. no 75 though?

The EF-S 17-55mm offers a nice range of focal lengths and has the Image Stabilisation feature. There is a cheaper option with the EF-S 17-85 too. but some may argue the quailty will suffer.

All depends really on type of photos you are going to take, do you need a zoom, a portrait, macro etc.
    whats your budget? most lenses are often more expensive than the actual camera body. some by a huge amount.

if you are new to SLR photography and are just going to be experimenting with the camera etc, then to be honest... i would think about sticking with the kit lens. some say its rubbish, but more often than not they are the type of people that have 5Ds and can drop 1k+ on L glass. the kit lens isnt actually all that bad and it still surprises me with some of the images you can get from it. its a great all round lens to start and learn with.

3. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Got to agree with this....unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, then I would say stick with the kit lens, especially if its your first dabble into the world of dSLR. I got into it a few months ago, and whilst there are deficiencies with the kit lens, its a good starting lens to give you time to familiarise with exposure/composition etc before the upgrade bug bites you...........the upgrade bug is now nibbling at me (I'll probably satisfy him around Christmas time perhaps?) and I think I'm going to go for the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro (FWIW).....

4. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If you have the cash and get a great deal then grab the 17-85 f/4 IS and 70-200 L f/2.8 IS, if nothing else you can always sell them on when you get home to pay for the body ;)

Don't forget, you will have to declare the kit when you come through customs and might be subject to VAT etc.

Agree with the above though, if you are not cash flush then use the kit lense for now and see how you get on :)

5. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Thank you all guys for all advice so far. Everything is taken on board.
    I guess it may just be a case of me getting massively carried away! I've got a digital sony cam - T1 i think it is.. however the quality sucks in night shots and when it comes closer to evening or in slightly darker areas. I hate those pics where you stand someone in front and the flash shows them but blackens out the background. The Sony serves its purpose as a compact digital camera but i want to capture proper memories and i'll be required at a couple of weddings to take a few pics. Want to know i have good diverse kit and on that basis alone i was looking to get a good lens. I have got into my head that i'll get a 'sharper' pic with a better lens. How true that is i dont really know. I am thinking now of sticking to the standard lens. Its very true that i wont be requiring a wide lens much. I rarely require a wide lens and dont think it'll be worthwhile spending so much more on this luxury.

I'm going to buy in 2 days from now. Let me have your views, everything is very much appreciated.

6. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Whatever equipment you buy, if you would like to keep the boxes etc. post them empty to your home.
    Carry the camera in your hand luggage. You never bought it there........;)

7. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    i didnt buy anything in Singapore at all.. honest.. Stop it Johnny, stop it! Johnny be good!

Thanks for the tip! Was looking to just dispose of the boxes but that wouldve been too risky! Will sort out postage today :smashin:

8. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Jag, any chance you could have a look how much the Sigma 10-20mm Canon fit lens is... I'm in Singapore in 2 months and want to know if it's worth waiting to buy over there or just bite the bullet and get it here. Much appreciated if you could...

Cheers

Chris

9. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Hello mate. I've spent more than 4 hours researching and visiting various outlets in Singapore. Dont bother with the lens. THey'll tell you its crap and you should go for a better one (in fact it wont be better) prices are significantly inflated.

I hope my findings will help others who think a trip to Singapore is fantastic for electricals. Here goes:

1. The cameras warranty will not extend to the UK. The lens however can be covered by international warranty. You really therefore have to balance out the risk. Many turn their noses in the Uk to grey imports. This can be deemed the equivalent.

2. With e-shopping being more popular than ever in the Uk its times like this when you realise that notwithstanding the congestion charge, council tax and excessive income tax i.t gear such as dvdr's, ram, internal hard drives+ external are still dirt cheap on places like ebuyer and scan.co.uk. There were over 60 shops in Sim Lim Square dedicated to i.t equipment. NONE could beat the price of UK ram, internal or external hdd's.. In fact the Singaporeans do not use divx, h264's or mkv encoding. Neither do they back up movies on hard disks so a 500gb hard disk is rare and expensive!

3. Sim Lim square which has been declared probably the biggest electrical complex (6 floors of electrical equipment) is unfortunately manifested by non-local chinese sellers who work in packs. You are called into a shop and find the place filled with salesmen in a claustraphobic environment. Nothing is formally priced. Tourists are sniffed out like farts in a car..ie very easily. A massively inflated price is offered. The primary tip would therefore be to research in advance asto market price. To get an idea you can pop into Mustafa shopping centre and get a fixed price on your chosen item. Take that price into Sim Lim and bargain from that... Now, heres where the trouble began. One shopped offered me the 400d for 1495 sgd (498 quid). The price was quickly reduced to 1200 sgd. It was then further eventually reduced to 1050 with a 2 gb memory card thrown in. Now thats 350 quid. 7% tax can be claimed back at the airport your told. That sounds even better. The hand goes to the wallet and you think Bob's your mothers brother, i'll take it. You walk away saying you'll be back in a few mins. The sales man moans aggresively. I didnt feel intimidated because i'm a wiseguy so walked away unoffended.

THis is where it all began to unfold. I went to another retailer a few doors away. He offered me the 400d for 790 sgd for body only. That is 263 quid!!!! Cheapest is 399 in the uk at wilkinsons.. Bloody marvellous i thought!! But he only had one box behind him.. where was he storing the camera? I became suspicious. I looked for a sign telling me he is an official dealer i saw none. He mumbled something in his native language to a bystanding worker which from facial expression i sussed out to mean something like "quick sell and take cash before he works it out" (maybe thats me being paranoid). I made my excuses and walked away like a news of the world reporter :rotfl:

I then visited an official canon retailer in the complex. The guy showed me intimate business docs confirming that all salesmen pay a minimum 1150 sgd (383.33) to Canon to purchase the cam. They then sell to customers to make a profit. He explained the art perfected by the many many scammers in the building selling cameras to foreigners. You will be told a very cheap price. THey will then tell you to take a better model (in fact an inferior one) and ask for a higher price (just as you are about to swipe credit card). If you do not take the inferior model they'll try and flog you tripods etc at bulked up prices. If you refuse this, your cash will be taken or card swiped and they'll then realise that they've run out of the camera. You'll be asked to return the following day. You go back, still not here come back 2 days later. If you're returning to the Uk they'll offer an alternative which is a cheaper inferior model. Further they wont tell you that the warranty doesnt cover you. They wont tell you that they will be adding the 7% tax onto your buying price as you are about to pay and a further 2% if using your card. You'll then be told that you've got to go down to claim your tax. Some shops are not recognised in this regard so you may NOT get your money back. I heard and saw 2 people (both australian) return to the shop. One asked about tax which he'd been wrongly advised on and the other asked why his camera was not ready as he was flying out and had paid for it. Both were turned away.

2 further retailers have confirmed the above to me and i have researched online and read of others who've fallen victim to the con artists.

My advice therefore is to research before you go and if it sounds too good its probably dodgy!!!!

All in all the best official package offered came to 411 quid for the 400d with standard kit. Now its not that bad but considering i'm not covered by warranty and will be safer spending that little bit more its worth sticking to the uk.

The only equipment which i found mildly cheaper than the uk are laptops and mobile phones. They are 10 to the pound in most complexes and can be bought and good prices after very little haggling. Anything else.. 'forget about it'

10. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Agree with the above poster, watch yourself in SimLim as there are dodgy characters around (usually HK). Make sure you know what you want and don't get swayed into buying accessories or other kit that they 'demonstrate' instore. That goes especially for camcorders, I've lost count of the amount of daft (usually drunken) sods that have went in for a particular sony etc. only to come out with some inferior model (usually for more money) and a load of cheap tat accessories! I can't remember where the best place would be to buy camera gear is in Singapore as I didn't buy any camera gear there but did pick up a Denon amp for half the UK price. It was a b***ger to carry home though! There are plenty of decent guys in SimLim etc. though, just watch out and if the price sounds too good to be true, watch out for the usual patter that follows..... Have a nice trip though, it's a cracking place and great for gadget shopping! :thumbsup: