Canon 350D Should I up Grade to it?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Luffy, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Luffy

Luffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi guys
    I'm after some advice please. I was out yesterday and was tempted by a Canon 350D with 18-55mm lens at Curries for £399. This seemed like a good price and a quick look on the net seems to confirm this. I had thought that when I up graded I would go to a min of 10MP. My question is should I upgrade from my G5 to the 350D now or would I be better to wait a few months and go for a 10MP model . What is the quality of the 350D images like a A3 which is probably as big as I am likely to go. I do like Canon having used them for many years but I am a little out of touch wit the current models. I did notice that the controls of the 350D seemed very like those on the G5 thats got to be a bonus as I know my way round the G5

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    This is indeed a good price but if you are happy with your G5 now,
    It may be better to hold off till Spring/ Easter:

The current Crop of DSLRs ( even the 6Mp ones) have a bigger sensors and arguable better image processing and mostly better lenses than the rather quite well rated G5

The 400D and Sony A100 are 10Mp and 350D 8Mp but they are broadly similar and many Nikon D50 ( 6Mp) owners do not seem to feel short-changed by being a pixel or 2 less :rotfl:

If you have been yearning to buy a DSLR.. now is as good a time as any: go for the 350D as seen 8Mp notwithstanding ( I have an 8Mp 30D which IMHO is not worried by the 10Mp out put of 400D or even Nikon D80) :D
    If you bought now, then you have a head start to save up for ancillaries ( lenses ect) as the buying doenst stop with the body and kit lens only:suicide:

Otherwise I suspect that as the market gets "saturated" competition will bring prices down in the new year and this in no way reflects on the quality of kit, just the need to sell them!

3. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The difference between 8 and 10 MP is minimal. The megapixel race is more about marketing than image quality, as it's an easy headline number push to at Joe Public. In reality, even at A3 size, you're not going to notice the difference. In fact all that happens is that 10MP sensors show up poor technique and poor lenses.

Here's a link to the list of the extra stuff you get on the 10MP 400D, which is going for about £480 with kit lens. Personally I'd probably fork out the extra £80 just for the dust reduction system (assuming it works!), but that's just me.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

Most of the changes are of the "bells and whistles" variety. If your big priority is image quality, and your budget is tight, then your first priority should be better glass rather than more pixels.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Bang on advice.

I have a couple of 20' x 30' pictures which were taken with my 350D and the quality is amazing. Don't get too caught up in the amount of Mp a camera has, as in reality it's not that big a deal when printing up to A3 size.

5. caseyf

caseyf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with the others. I have a 350D, and it is capable of excellent prints at A3 and beyond. The megapixel count is nearly immaterial now unless you are really serious or a pro, (I've perfectly good large prints from 3Mp cameras), quality depends on so many variables, not least the ink/paper combination you use.
    The larger processors are now showing up the shortcomings of the lenses, and bring their own problems.

The first thing you might want to change regardless of whether you go for the 350D or 400D is the lens, which isn't rated highly by some users. I bought a Canon 17-85mm zoom which is a good alternative.

Read the reviews and comments on the Digital Darkroom forum where there is a wealth of informed comment about all these cameras.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I used the kit lens for up to 9 months before getting the 17-85 Usm IS ( the only value replacement IMHO) . The IS rocks!

The Canon 17- 40 L is by far better, costlier and has less Zoom range.

Even with the kit lens , you will find the overall cleanness, clarity , colour and tone rendition of images refreshingly better than the G5.
    The kit lens failing is that it seems to make images "soft" even when stopped down, this is a comparison thing though and within its own limitations it is usable , only with time does it get to feel "underwhelming"

The in camera sharpening or USM in PS can be used to correct this " softness" a lot of the time

My point is that the kit lens is very usable to learn the camera and DSLR use in general and is as such by no means "rubbish" .

The 17- 85mm IS costs more than the body (£ 400) only so it is a big leap.

A cheap second lens would be the Prime lens ("nifty fifty") 50mm (f1.8) which for £60 is a sharp fast serious value for money lens even if you lose the zoom or wide angle view that you get from the kit lens

7. Luffy

Luffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks guys
    Looks like it may be a good option. I think I would have to upgrade the lens PDQ as I have been used to a good range of focal lengths for a long while and think I would take badly with a max of 55mm.

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I'll not try to recommend lenses, as I'm firmly in the Nikon camp and don't know the Canon range very well, but here's a nice little utility that may help you...

http://www.photo-freeware.net/exposureplot.php

Point this at a folder containing images with shooting data attached, and it'll give you a graph of what focal lengths you use the most. You may be quite surprised at the results. I found that although I had a superzoom bridge camera, I spent most of my time hugging the wide angle end.

9. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616

Nice little tool that - thanks for sharing! I seem to shoot mostly at 40mm.

P.S. their download link doesn't work... if you want to download it try this:-
    http://www.cpr.demon.nl/program/exposureplot_112.zip

10. Soundgeek

Soundgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure if you are aware or not but on the 350d due to the APS-C sensor the focal range in 35mm equivalent is actually equivalent to 1.6x the focal length of the lens. So the 18-55mm kit lens will actually become the equivalent of a 29-88mm lens. (Which you may well find too limiting)

11. Luffy

Luffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks Soundgeek I wasn't but actually for the sort of pics I take 29-88mm is better than 17-55 I tend to do a lot between 50 & 100mm sounds better and better
    Ta

12. morleymackam

morleymackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I think your best option would be to go for a second hand 300d from a certain poster wanting to upgrade to a 400d :hiya:

13. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    :eek: ;)

14. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    I am completely new to photography. Currently have a point n'shoot Sony P7 that is a few years old, but am thinking about getting a DSLR camera and trying to learn a bit about photography.

Have been doing some preliminary research into cameras and look like I have it narrowed down to the Canon 350d or the 400d, if I can justify the extra price. Is the 400d worth the extra pounds? The comments about the mp's are noted and that concern has been crossed off. Are the extra features of the 400d worth it? £399 seems a pretty good price for the 350d and one that is seriously tempting me! When do camera manufactuers bring out new models...is the price likely to drop even further in the next few months?

15. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    If you are buying new,

I think the £40-50 extra is worth it:

Not for Image quality: Even the much better 30Ds IQ is close though a notch above
    Not for 10Mp the difference is very small even at A3 print sizes

The 400D is a little quicker in operation, able to take a lot more RAW and Jpeg in burst mode and its larger LCD is much easier on the eye. Its Menu and control layout is a bit more user friendly despite being similar
    but perhaps most importantly
    The Sensor Self cleaning system is a very nice idea ( if it works as claimed):smashin:

Although I would not upgrade to 400D from the 350D even if i didn't have the 30D ( as I do) but having played with the 400D , It does seem worth the Little extra over the 350D.
    There is no doubt that it is holding its price while 350D stocks last and will fall in order to compete with the D50 and even D80 when 350D stocks run out