• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Canon 30D

The Bass

Hello all,

I've been looking at buying a first DSLR for a while now and after having decided upon a Canon I set my mind on either the 1000D or 400D. Second hand prices on both of these (especially the 1000D) are generally well over £300 so I started looking at some older models.

The 30D seems great and goes for between £200-300 with a kit lens which is perfect but I was wondering how the image quality and features hold up to a more recent camera.

I've seen quite a few users with 30D's so hopefully they can recommend it to me :)

Cheers,
Lawrence

Rich Marshall

Hello all,

I've been looking at buying a first DSLR for a while now and after having decided upon a Canon I set my mind on either the 1000D or 400D. Second hand prices on both of these (especially the 1000D) are generally well over £300 so I started looking at some older models.

The 30D seems great and goes for between £200-300 with a kit lens which is perfect but I was wondering how the image quality and features hold up to a more recent camera.

I've seen quite a few users with 30D's so hopefully they can recommend it to me :)

Cheers,
Lawrence

I've had a 20D, 30D and now have a 40D. IQ is fantastic on all 3 and I didn't see much of an improvment with each change.

I would go for the 30D and kit lens OR the 20D and a better lens. The glass is where you will see the IQ improve. :smashin:

Have a look on th Canon forum for extensive advice here

senu

Distinguished Member
Hello all,

Cheers,
Lawrence
The Image quality of the 30D is well at par with the " recent ones"
What you get with the 30D is a better and more responsive shutter /buffer a AF speed accuracy and better build quality
Also you get faster access to many of the settings
You get lower noise at higher ISO
In short far more " keepers"

I have used a 400D and 30D for an occasion or 2 on different sites ( same day) which involved lower light and in good light PQ was was near identical, however as the shooting conditions became more challenging I simply stopped using the 400D as it was struggling compared to the 30D

I also have a 40D but would suggest you get a 30D body and some decent glass.. The kit lens is usable but you wont begin to enjoy it till you change it
All in all you will find using them a better shooting experience

Last edited:

denno75uk

Get the 30D. It's a quality camera. When I got mine nearly 2 1/2 years ago, I stretched my budget to get it with the thought that it would be a camera I could grow with, that would serve me well once I knew what I was doing. Well I like to think I know alot more than I did then, but the crucial thing is I'm still learning and the 30D is still all the camera I need. It can handle pretty much any situation incredibly competently. I replaced my walkabout lens with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 last year to go with the Sigma 70-200 I've had for 2 years and it gave the 30D a new lease of life. Or should I say it allowed me to further exploit the camera's capabilities.
New, I reckon you'd have to be looking at a 40D/Nikon D90 or upward to get any better.

The Bass

Thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a 30D but I did manage to get a 400D and kit lens for £230 so -£50 for the 18-55 and I'll have a good amount left over to buy a nice lens.
I'm sure in a few months the urge to upgrade will lead me to getting a 30/40D anyway though :D

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a 30D but I did manage to get a 400D and kit lens for £230 so -£50 for the 18-55 and I'll have a good amount left over to buy a nice lens.
I'm sure in a few months the urge to upgrade will lead me to getting a 30/40D anyway though :D
This being the 18-55 with IS?. It is much better than the older one

The Bass

No it's the old one, I'd probably keep it if it was the IS.
Do you have any recommendations for a similar focal length before I start looking through the excellent Canon forum that drivinscool posted? <£300 secondhand preferably.

senu

Distinguished Member
No it's the old one, I'd probably keep it if it was the IS.
Do you have any recommendations for a similar focal length before I start looking through the excellent Canon forum that drivinscool posted? <£300 secondhand preferably.
The Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 can be bought new for not a lot more than £300
I cant commend it highly enough

Last edited:

denno75uk

Yeah, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a belter of a lens. Definitely worth getting. To get any better you'd have to spend...etc...etc...:D Mine's never really off my 30D and I'm constantly impressed by it. The focus motor could be better, but the quality of the optics is amazing.
When I got mine last year from warehouse express it was only £270. I can't believe how much it's gone up, but it's still half the price of the Canon equiv. From HK on ebay they are quite a bit less than £300, but obv depends if you want to 'risk' it. Some people here may be able to advise on reputable sellers.

The Bass

After looking at all the options the Tamron 17-50 definitely seems like the best buy, especially after all of your glowing recommendations.
Now I've just got to get the money :D

Thanks a lot :smashin:

Holowlegs

Hello there

I had the 400d and replaced the kit lens with the Tamron and am very happy with it, and it works well with my 40d.

Can't believe how prices have gone up, picked mine up for £200 new. Thing is with this lens you don't often see it on the 2nd hand market.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom