1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 300D v 10D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Party Animal, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have been fortunate to be able to have a play with both of Canons D-SLRs 10d and 300d this morning
    first off I would say that I am a poor amateur photographer who would dearly Love to own either of them and currently use a Canon 300v 35mm SLR and have a Canon A70

The 300d has a much simpler menu system and even I soon got to grips with it.. the 10D has more dials and needs rather more input from the user to get up & running

the Picture quality is exactly the same as far as I can see -- obviously the camera is only as good as the Lens its using. but after taking various shots with both, I can see no difference

the 10d is a fair bit heavier the the 300d --and a lot has been said about the different bodies ie the 300 plastic and 10d metal I actually prefer the silver one.. but I know lots of folk hate the plastic... apparently the 300d now comes in black as well

one area where the 10d scores a knockout blow was when in motordrive mode (if thats what its called) the 300d will rattle off 4 shots on the bounce whereas the 10D will fire 9 shots -- both cameras take a minute or two to transfer the pics to the flashcard from the internal buffer

The 4 frame buffer against 9 would not put me off the 300d as my type of photography would not need 9 frames on the trot.. so if you were wanting mainly action shots I would say definatly get the10D
    if however you just take general/candid/Landscape shots and occasional fast moving objects, the 300d would do just fine

as to which format to shoot in I am now a convert to raw from jpeg. I feel that the Raw files on both models would give more quality than jpegs when zooming right in

now for the red face :blush: I have stupidly deleted the pictures taken with the 10D (told you I was an amateur) so I no longer have the side by side pictures

I am very Lucky to have a brother who kindly loaned me the 300d for a short while.. and a friend who also loaned me the 10D.. to do a comparison as I have been wanting to go digital for ages -- and like a lot of posts on the photography forums -- its a hard choice as to which model to go for.. after this morning, I am leaning strongly towards the 300d

2. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now can I have my camera back. .. :lease:

The sun is shining and want to take some more pictures... :cool:

3. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I prefer the 10D, essentially for the build quality. Whist the 300d is a smashing unit, it feels very much like a budget digital SLR to me in comparison with the competition. The black one as far as I know is only available in Japan but I may well be wrong on that one. At the end of the day go with the one that you feel most comfortable with, if the menus on the 300D seem more your cup of tea then leaning towards that is understandable (although i find the menus fairly similar).
    The 300D is certainly the one to go for value for money wise, cracking camera and a bundle can be found considerably cheaper than the 10D body only price.

4. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    in short no :D

matiano.. I agree with you about better build quality, but at the end of the day most people who fork out this sort of money obviously treat there equipment with the utmost respect.

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Not entirely sure how relevent this is, as obviously you already have lenses that you have for your 300V, but i recently managed to purchase a (admittedly used) Sigma SD9, 18-50mm Kit lens, and the Sigma 50-500mm EX lens for under £1000.

I think this is a real bargain, but obviously if you're not a fan of the tank like nature of the sigma body, being tied into Sigma only lenses, increased workflow (only takes its own type of raw picture files, not JPEGs), sometimes ropey AF, and bizarre sensor configuration, then it's not for you. But then again it might be, especially if, like me, you're not as flush as you'd like to be.

Just my chip in :)

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a 10D for just over a year and now have a Nikon D70, I would suggest you take a look at the D70 before making a final decision. In the hands of an expert both cameras are capable of producing astonishing pictures, in the hands of a less experience person the D70 has the edge as it's metering system is more sophisticated and less likely to be 'caught out' in tricky lighting conditions. It is also *much* faster shot-to-shot than the 300D or the 10D and is sharper as well due to the less aggressive anti-aliasing filter which means less work post processing the pictures.

7. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Nikon looks a fine camera - but is a non starter for me as I have Canon Lenses... plus I have always had Canons so am now pretty much used to the
    various menus etc

8. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have Sigma lenses?

My existing sigma lens caused ERR99 on my 300d. I know Sigma can rechip it but I wish i'd known before I bought the 300d(body only). Bought the Tamron 28-75 lens which is pretty good.

9. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have Sigma lenses

No... I have Canon Lenses - although the 10D I used had a 28-105 sigma on it (new) and it worked like a charm on both cameras