1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 300D or Pro1 etc

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by TimF, Sep 2, 2004.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some advice if possible

Currently I have a Canon EOS 600 with Sigma 24-70mm Aspherical and Canon EF 75 - 300mm lenses.
    Also got Cobra 700af canon dedicated flash gun.

Firstly would I be able to use the lenses and flashgun with the 300d? Also what will be the focal length conversion for the lenses?

Moving on I also have a Canon G5 digital camera which is great for convenience but the images are still not a patch on film with the SLR.

Would the 300d give the best of both worlds for me or would I be better flogging the lot and going for a better integrated digicam - Canon Pro1 or nikon 8700 for example - My understanding is that the wide angle lenses are not so wide on digi SLR and I want (35mm equiv) of at least 28-300mm.

Any feedback most welcome

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should be able to use any Canon EF lens with the 300D, you might want to check about the sigma though.

I think the flashgun may give you a few issues, have a look on the canon website for more.

the magnification will be 1.6x, I'll leave the maths up to you...

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The Sigma lens will work if its not too old, or it can be re-chipped by Sigma.
    The flash will work (your model has a safe trigger voltage at 4.4 volts), but I'm not sure it will support full E-TTL on a 300D.....maybe someone else knows?
    No problem with the 75-300 at all.
    The 'crop' factor is 1.6 on the 300D, so your 75-300 will actually work like a 120-480. All well there, but you loose out on wide angle lenses.

If you want to see my results from a 300D and 75-300, take a peek here..

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...rnet.com&sort_order=views&distinct_entry=true

Regards