1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 300d or Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by paulc1, Feb 8, 2005.

1. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am teetering on the brink of buying one of these cameras, I am leaning towards the Nikon,...because of the build quality, does anyone have any thoughts, I am going shopping for it on Friday.
    The Nikon is £75.00 dearer than the canon.

2. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    are you taking into account the £100 cashback on the nikon d70 currently?

3. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    you only get the cashback if you buy the lens kit
    sorry, I should have said, that they are from a camera exchange and second hand, the nikon is £450 with a 18-70 dx af lens, and the canon is £375 body only, they are both like new an both under 12 months old.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Personally I'd go for the Nikon. You get a lens with a good usable range for the extra money. I've never liked the feel of the 300d - but then again, if you have any Canon lenses already then the Canon would make more sense.

5. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wanted the 300d, but in comparison to the nikon, it seemed a little inferior when held in the hand, although I know that the canon takes excellent pics, because i've seen some on these boards, taken by some of you guys.
    I have put a deposit on both of these cameras until saturday so I'm trying to research, but to be honest, they seem pretty much in the same court.
    I have downloaded some Nikon d70 pics off a reviews sight, and again they are very impressive. perhaps the lens will swing it, because I aint got any canon Lenses.

6. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks avalanche, that is just the type of thing that I have been looking for:)

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's all a bit subjective this really paul. The 300D is classed as a landmark product becuase of what it offers at the price. The Nikon is said to be a better build though i've never held one, and many many people prefer the canon and vice versa so it really is a matter of what you want and how it feels in your hand. It's said that canon are about to bring a replacement for 300D out so it might be worth waitng, i read somewhere that the details will be out this month.

Side by side

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...300d,nikon_d70&camuser=canon_eos300d&show=all

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    £375 for a used 300D body seems a bit steep to me. Just before Christmas, I bought one of several new 300Ds from eBay with the standard 18-55 & a 75-300 lens for £450. I 've just had a quick look & the same guy has been selling some more of the same kits (here). I've got his e-mail address if you want to have a word & see if he will be getting more. he's based in Luton & was amenable to collection but I just couldn't get there so he posted RMSD instead. I checked with a number of his previous buyers before bidding & all were satisfied, as am I.

10. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its worth thinking about what other lens or acessories you might buy in the future - could be that one or the other has certain products that the other hasn't, or you can get your hands on their stuff more cheaply...

personally I went for the canon when faced with the same choice 6 months back. Can't say I'm disappointed (having played with both) but both are good pieces of kit. £75 goes some way to getting memory cards/spare batteries etc.

happy shooting whichever you go for, and don't forget to show us the results!

11. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    @seany, thanks for the links, they are all helpful, and the first one particularly, I take on board what you said about the 300d being groundbreaking, and I agree, that the 300D has dragged the digital slr market kicking and screaming, in to the realms of Joe average, and now with the cashback offer ending, it makes me wonder what Canon have up their sleeve, and I bet youre right, "a new model" with a price reduction for the 300D.(but this cash is burning a hole in my pocket)

@crocodile, I did look on ebay, but
    A: I thought that the 300d and d70 were a bit steep, with the average ending price for the 300d being over £450, and d70 even more, and mainly sourced abroad.

B: I got ripped off good style for NEW psion 5mx, that I won and paid for on ebay, only to find that the screen was faulty, and the thing was actually used, and cost me a further £75 to have fixed.
    At least if I have a problem with my camera, I can go back to the shop.
    I am sure bargains are had all the time on ebay, but my experiences have not been good.
    but thanks for the link, and I'm glad that your 300D was a genuine bargain.

@Aflaik, thanks for the input, and apparently, the D70 will not take a battery grip, but the D100 will, so it aint all rosey.
    it is a tough one because, I always wanted the 300D, but seeing them in the fresh just complicates matters,..it is true that you should never give anyone to much choice.

and I will definately post up some shots, whichever camera i get. :)

thanks alot guys for the comments, and it would seem that the general concensus is what I suspected all along,...That theres not much between the cameras in question.

12. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I wouldn't take any notice of Ken Rockwell, he's a Nikon user who can't bring himself to admit he's biased - something recognised by both Canon and Nikon users on DPReview ;)

I am a Canon user myself and I used to own a 300D. It is a great camera and if you bought it you would be very happy :) It is likely to be replaced in a couple of weeks, though.

My advice, however, is to buy the Nikon if you are taking the second hand route, as it appears to offer better value for money, especially as a lens is included. :thumbsup:

13. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a similar choice recently.

Both are great cameras. But I went for the Nikon. The 300D feels horrid, and the D70 has a few technical features which seemed better. Its more expensive as are the lenses tho, so if cost is crucial get a 300d - I doubt you'll be disapointed - remember I think Canon lenses are cheaper than Nikon ones.

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm missing my Nikon D100 i broke the lens in Malta & decided to go back to film.I bought a Canon EOS 1V with a Tokina AT-XPro 28-80mm 1:28 lens.It's a very good camera but the D100 was much more enjoyable the picture quality was excellent & was very good in low light.I'm looking to return to the digital fold & Nikon would be my first choice .I think the Canon 20D is not worth the premium you have to pay unless you're into sports photography.

15. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    That's a gross oversimplification of the differences between the 20D and the D70 :laugh:

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had hold of a D100 for almost a year with the battery grip/ flash. Felt pretty good in the hands i personally prefer my 20D over the D100 Never mind the D70. The 20D is widley regarded as the best prosumer camera that money can buy it's much more then just an issue of speed.

For instance the iso that you can use on the 20D leaves the D70/D100 for dust the colour temp and wb shift are fantastic features the cf settings, i could go on and on most people already know anyway

From respected impartial sites http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E20D/E20DA13.HTM "In all respects, Canon has really outdone themselves, offering a camera that not only captures excellent images, but which provides photographers with unprecedented levels of control in an extremely easy interface"

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page28.asp

"those upgrading from the likes of the Digital Rebel or from prosumer level digital cameras, should have the EOS 20D high on their list, it's the best in its class."

For instance the iso that you can use on the 20D leaves the D70/D100 for dust the colour temp and wb shift are fantastic features the cf settings i could go on and on most people already know anyway

But this isn't about the 20D or D100 its about the 300 and 70.

You'd be very happy with both paul you have the choice of two very good cameras. If the nikon comes with a lens then that could be the one to go for.

Now have you thought about the 10D:laugh:

17. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lol, thanks seany, and everyone else for the input, and I am going to get the Nikon, as it comes with a reasonable lense, funny really because I only went into the shop to get a 52mm extension for my canon g3,... I will be busy fiddling with the camera over the weekend, and will post some results of my handiwork, or rather my first attempts early next week.

Thanks again everyone. :)

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Nikon D100 is a very good camera the D70 from what i've read is a better camera in many respects. I've only a A4 printer so for my purposes i'd go with the Nikon D70.

19. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    Been there - done that. Once went into a music shop for a set of nylon strings & came out with a Gibson Les Paul.

20. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Got the nikon this evening,...Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes,...what a great feeling, the feeling of being liberated from my compact cameras, and what a bit of kit,..just got to learn how to use it now!!....Oh thankyou Nikon. :) :):)

21. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    coming to this a bit late I suppose but I got a nikon d70 out here in the states (where I'm on extended holidays :) ). great value, amazing pictures and very intuitive to use, even for someone who's never used an SLR before.

I've got so much admiration for anyone who learnt to use these before the advent of digital, it must have taken years to get any good (and cost a fortune in developing/film).

I've had some 8x12" prints done over the internet which I'm amazed with, don't see any signs of these being from a digital camera.

22. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am so pleased with my D70, I took it to Chester zoo, and took some great pictures, I cannot believe what I have been missing, I took a photo of an orangutan with its baby, and was so pleased with it, I put it on my photo pages under animals, along with one of a large monkey and some breeding elephants, take a look using the link below, the orangutan was heavily cropped but still retained detail,...just need a 300mm lens now and a couple of 1gig flash cards.