Canon 1d mk iv or 5d mk ii??

o0dafunk0o

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at upgrading my canon 350d that I have owned for a number or years to either the 1d mk iv or 5d mk ii to go with a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens.

It will be used mainly for portrait and modelling shoots.

Any opinions?

Thanks

If you can afford the costlier camera it is better .. why do you ask?

1Ds Mk III would be my choice probably, then a 5D MK II then a 1D MK IV.

Why would you choose a 1D3 over a 1D4?

5D2 gets you full frame 21mp, but poor focusing system vs the 1D4.

IQ the 1D4 is likely better but lower resolution, 5D2 can have some horrid banding in shadow areas.

A friend who shoots weddings has just ditched his 5D's for 1D4's and loves them (with 24-70L etc).

Why would you choose a 1D3 over a 1D4?

5D2 gets you full frame 21mp, but poor focusing system vs the 1D4.

IQ the 1D4 is likely better but lower resolution, 5D2 can have some horrid banding in shadow areas.

A friend who shoots weddings has just ditched his 5D's for 1D4's and loves them (with 24-70L etc).

A 1Ds Mk III, note the 's'. That is full frame and 21.1 mp. Probably due an upgrade soon though, but still a real heavyweight for portraits and studio work etc

There's a second hand one on mpbphotographic for ÂŁ2700 but they can go for sub ÂŁ2500 on forums, buying cameras new is a mugs game at todays prices. If I was seriously into portrait/studio work it's the best camera Canon make.

Hi,

I've just bought a 1d mk iv (upgrade from 500d) and absolutely love it. Results have improved no end!!!

Little Jem

Well in my opinion, 5D Mark II is a bit better according to the camera rankings and reviews that I've seen online.

I have friends who own both. They are both outstanding. The 1DMK4 has faster superior focusing and is waterproof...I don't see any benefit in either of those features for portrait or model shooting. It does already have the built in portrait grip though. You may also want to consider files sizes and processing resulting processing times. My mate with the 5D has a new super dooper sony laptop and it still chugs along loading up the previews of the shots in lightroom.

(Slightly OT but...) Gordon, if your mate's Sony doesn't already have one then an (Intel) SSD may well make that problem go away. If it's a business tool, then I'm sure the SSD will be money well spent. Just avoid an OCZ for lots of RAW images, they don't go so fast with data that's already compressed. Normal Laptop HDD's are usually abysmal for performance, regardless of how high spec the rest of the laptop is.

(Slightly OT but...) Gordon, if your mate's Sony doesn't already have one then an (Intel) SSD may well make that problem go away. If it's a business tool, then I'm sure the SSD will be money well spent. Just avoid an OCZ for lots of RAW images, they don't go so fast with data that's already compressed. Normal Laptop HDD's are usually abysmal for performance, regardless of how high spec the rest of the laptop is.

why are OCZ slow for raw images? for less money OCZ SSDs are twice the read/write performance of intel SSDs

Because their speed relies on the controller being able to compress the data in the first place. RAW and JPEG can already include an element of compression, hence the OCZ drives can't deliver their usual figures.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom