Canon 100mm Macro - what combination of tubes will get me 2-3x life-size?

Mysticpuma

Now I'l be honest, I would love to buy a 65mm lens, but for practicality just can't justify the price as I need a portrait lens too and the 100mm f2.8 Macro will do this job perfectly.

So, in a previous life I used a Nikon 105mm and although I could get in close, I was still disappointed as I even though I could count a Spider's eyes, I could get nowhere near those great shots where you can see the pattern on the eyes of a fly.

So going with the fact that I will be getting a 100mm f2.8 macro, can I realistically expect to get in as close to 2x-3x life-size on the sensor using tubes or a doubler?

If I can, what combination would work well?

Cheers, MP

PS. I really would love the 65mm....maybe one-day I will, but for now it has to be the 100mm. Cheers.

Mysticpuma

Thanks, much appreciated. I still don't know whether to save the money and get the 65mm though?

I have a 16-35mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8, I feel that getting the 105 just for the macro is a bit of a false economy as I am doubling up on lenses?

The 65mm would do exactly what I want it to......I think I my go for it after all?

Now where are the Christmas bargains! ;)

Cheers, MP

Jammyb

Novice Member
Just playing devils advocaat (christmassy!) unless you've a commercial use for your macro shots spending £850 on a lens to see the pattern on the eyes of a (presumably dead) fly seems extreme for what's essentially a single use manual focus lens.

Mike.P®

spending £850 on a lens to see the pattern on the eyes of a (presumably dead) fly seems extreme for what's essentially a single use manual focus lens.

Ah but what a single use macro lens.

I had to buy a camera to put it on as well. :laugh:

shotokan101

Suspended
Mike.P®;16009581 said:
Ah but what a single use macro lens.

I had to buy a camera to put it on as well. :laugh:

Yep - there's "Sad" and then there's "Mike" :devil: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom