Canon 1.4X Extender question

dmx005

I recently got a 30D & EF 70-200mm f/4.0L which are both fantastic altho I havent yet had much time to use them. I've been reading that by using an extender I can extend the range of the 70-200mm which could come in handy.

My question is does this afftect the quality of the image? From what I've read you lose one stop by using an extender like the 1.4X but has anyone had any practical experience using these?

I'd just like to know if anyone would advise against or recommend getting one at some point.

RobDickinson

It contains glass. So yes it affects (detrimentaly) the image quality - will also (slightly) affect focusing speed too.

I havnt used one and there not cheap either (half the cost of a 70-300IS I think?).

I'd expect similar IQ to the 70-300IS but better focusing.

h4rri

A lot of people use these and the 2x, I use this with the 70-200 f/2.8. It costs me two stops but still AF's with the 5D. I think it's a good way to extend the range of a given lens without the cost or additional weight of getting another lens.

Nip into your local retailler and try one if they have one in stock. Have you considered the Kenko ones?

Tobers

The 1.4x is a very handy little thing to keep tucked in your bag. It does slightly soften the images when wide open (at f/5.6 on your 70-200 F4L) but at f/7.1 and above it's fine.

Most of the polo action shots of mine on that polo thread were taken with the 70-200F4L and the 1.4x extender.

tdodd

I have a Kenko 1.4X teleconverter. It is much cheaper than the Canon version, IQ is very close indeed, and it works with more lenses, so I understand.

Here are a couple of shots I happened to take yesterday with my 100-400 and the telecon. The robin was at 400mm, f/8 (=f/11 with the teleconverter) and the flower was at 390mm and f/5.6 (= f/8 with the teleconverter). These are 50% crops.

As this lens is f/5.6 at the long end AF performance is a bit variable, although generally OK, but I have to tape the three pins on the telcon that inform the camera of its presence.

Attachments

• 20080512_132109_4107_DPP.JPG
    20080512_132109_4107_DPP.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20080512_170750_4120_DPP.JPG
    20080512_170750_4120_DPP.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 70

dmx005

Here are a couple of shots I happened to take yesterday with my 100-400 and the telecon. The robin was at 400mm, f/8 (=f/11 with the teleconverter) and the flower was at 390mm and f/5.6 (= f/8 with the teleconverter). These are 50% crops.

Those shots are very crisp. I'd be very pleased with that quality.
I think it might be worth nipping into a retailer as h4rri suggests and seeing what they have.

Most of the polo action shots of mine on that polo thread were taken with the 70-200F4L and the 1.4x extender.

wow, I saw those shot & they were first class..

Thanks for the advice! So much to get, so little time! (& money!) :smashin:

dfrear

To be honest DMX you might not want to get too sucked into thing's straight away. I would consider a Canon 1.4x quite an investment really, they aren't cheap. As you haven't really had much chance to use the equipment you have I would advise that you try and get some practice in before buying more equipment - it soon becomes an obsession, believe me!

tdodd

dmx005

A Kenko 1.4X will cost around £65 delivered from Hong Kong (where I got mine), more if you get hit for customs though. ODS have it for £80 delivered with a No Tax warranty.

eBay search - http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...n=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

ODS - http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=107

The UK price for a Canon 1.4X is £207 - http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod313.html - or more.

thanks for that tdodd.. great prices!
dfrear makes a valid point though! I think I will probably invest in one but I do need to get out there and get in some practice with what Ive currently got - one step at a time eh! I do tend to get ahead of myself!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
there was a kenko in the classifieds the other day, not sure if its still there.

I got one from there recently. Thought the shots were a little soft, but I'll try stopping down to 7.1 see if that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom