1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot use the HDD in FR Mode for Multiple Titles?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tdale, Sep 17, 2004.

1. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that I could use FR mode for multiple titles at the total minutes that I want on the end result DVD. I realise now, that if FR mode is used to the HDD then each title will be recorded at best quality to fit 4.7Gb.
    Whats the easiest way around this? I have read the sticky.
    I guess that if I had 3 48 minute episodes (136 minutes), I can record to HDD in XP mode, then dub these to one DVD-R, using FR mode, and it will need to be on normal record mode as it will re-encode?

Thanks to all!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You calculate in your head how many minutes will be on the final DVD-R and then dial that figure in instead!

For example you have three 1 hour episodes that you want to archive to a DVD-R (48mins programme with 12mins adverts). You record each one with a FR setting of 144mins (48mins x 3) and use Partial Erase to edit out the adverts and trim the start and finish. Once you have recorded all three episodes you can now dub to DVD-R or DVD-RAM and the disk will be full.

3. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. After reading your sticky a few days ago, I thought GREAT, I can use FR not just to fill a 4.7 blank, but to use it as a custom bitrate as per your example, so that the mutlip;le titles will, after editing on the HDD, then allow a burn to a DVD.

BUT....It seems that if I record to the HDD with FR, that will , I quote "When recording to the HDD, picture quality is automatically adjusted to precisely fit a transferred (dubbed) title on a 4.7Gb Disk", page 15 of the manual

This tells me that if I record 3 titles to the HDD, on FR, each one will be 4.7Gb.

BUT, is this perhaps referring to a timer recording only, given that I just set to FR with no minutes? (Although the recorder will know the minutes as per the timer).

I did wonder about this today when re-reading your sticky, and noticed that you wrote to a seperate RAM disk for each title.

While I fully understand your example, my doubt now is that if I set the FR to 144 minutes, I would end up with 3 x 4.7Gb titles, although as each title will only be recorded to 48 minutes, then each file should be 1/3 of the 4.7Gb, but what comes back to me is the manual statement above. But, I assume, that the only way I cam make this work, is to record to the HDD manually, setting the FR to 144 minutes, and stopping the record after each title is recorded? If I use the timer it will FR to the total minutes of each title, i.e. FR to 60 minutes, and I will have 3 4.7Gb titles.

If the timer FR mode had a seperate minute settinmg that overrode the timer record minutes that would work, but I feel that the device didnt design FR to allow custom bitrates, just aimed it at filling a disk

Can you make sense of my ramblings?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes - but if you are recording a 48min programme and you set the Flexible Record/Timer to record 144 mins (3 x 48mins) then the bitrate will be set to fill a 4.7GB DVD in 144mins. Accordingly once you record all three episodes and edit out the unwanted 96mins after each one (assuming you didn't just manually stop the recording) then you have a perfect fit!

Of course it's aimed at allowing custom bitrates :rolleyes: It's all very simple IMHO - you either set the Timer or dial into the Flexible Record option precisely how many minutes of programming you want on your finished DVD-R. Once you've done all the edits and recorded all the programmes you have a perfect fit onto said DVD-R!

5. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tks again Rasczak
    "Yes - but if you are recording a 48min programme and you set the Flexible Record/Timer to record 144 mins (3 x 48mins) then the bitrate will be set to fill a 4.7GB DVD in 144mins. Accordingly once you record all three episodes and edit out the unwanted 96mins after each one (assuming you didn't just manually stop the recording) then you have a perfect fit!"

I understand and agree fully

"you either set the Timer or dial into the Flexible Record option precisely how many minutes of programming you want on your finished DVD-R"

Here is my point. Timer recording. Manually, I can set the 144 mins, the record each 48 mins (net), leaving 3 48 minute files, all totalling 4.7Gb. Yep, got that. But....if I use Timer recordings, i cannot set each of the 3 recordings to record for 60 minutes at a 144 minutes FR mode. The device will run it at FR, it will record a title for the 60 minutes that it is aware of, and Iwill then get a 4.7Gb file for that 60 minute record (ignoring the fact that max bitrate will be met at just a 60 minute record, I gess that will basically be XP mode more or less). Under the timer recording example, the recorder is not aware that I wnat a 144 minute FR, it will know that the title is 60 minutes, and that I wnat FR mode.

So, as I see it, I have to use manual recording at the FR minutes I want.
    I dont see an option to tell the recorder that the 3 timer recordings are all grouped as one FR.. That would work, but it mnust see them as individual timer recordings, each of which is at the mode specified. Just as I could have 5 timer recordings set to occur ovber a few days, 3 of them may be your example, 1 other may be at XP, one other may be at SP. I would expect that the 3 FR timer recoprds I have set, will be treated as 3 individual FR timed recordings, which will be each to fit a 4.7.

The FR minute setting screen only has an option to START, not to SET for a timer recording

Do u follow this?
    I appreciate your help too, very much

Cheers
    Tony

6. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A workaround, although a bit messy, may be to set a timer recording for the 3 60 minute episodes, so that the record time is 144 minutes for each one, leaving me with 3 4.7Gb files, that cointain my 60 minute episode, plus a further 84 minutes of extra unrelated recording. I can then edit the intentional excess out, leaving me with the 3 x 48 minutes, each of which will have been recorded at a FR 144 minute rate.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    So set it to record for 144 minutes! Whatever it is only going to use about 4300MB per episode out of the 80,000 you have available on your HDD!

8. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Rasczek said, you need to programme the timer for the total time you will eventually be transferring to a DVD-R. So if one of the hour long programme (including ads) starts at 7pm, then you need to set the start time for 7pm and the end time for 9.24pm (ie 144 mins). This needs to repeated for the remaining two programmes so each is recorded with the timer set for 144 minutes. Don't forget though, even though the timer is set for 144 minutes, you can still manually stop the machine at the end of each programme.