1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot use 32bit colour setting??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MrNPG, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks,

I've recently bought a new 19" LG TFT monitor. I have the resolution set to the native setting of 1280 x 1024, which is fine, however my pc will not let me select 32bit colour with this resolution. I have to use a lower resolution in order to select 32bit colour.

Therefore, I presently have to use 24bit colour which I feel is not ideal.

So my question is this, I presume this has something to do with my graphics card? It is an old ATI Rage Pro card that came with the pc years ago.

If I was to buy a new graphics card, would I then be able to use the 32bit colour setting with the 1280 x 1024 resolution?

If a new graphics card is the answer, what sort of card should I go for, without spending too much money!?

Cheers.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I expect it is the graphics card and the solution would be to get a new one.
    If you have a very old motherboard you may not have an AGP slot in which case you should look for a PCI card. Just about any newish card will give you 32bit colour at most resolutions.

3. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're current card probably has't got enough memory for higher 32bit res. Probably 4MB. Since all current cards have at least 64MB any card will do. Just make sure you find the rigt type (pci/agp).

On lower res. do you see any difference between 24 an 32bit?
    If you're TFT panel is only 24bit, buying a new card would be pointless.
    Unless you'd want better 3D performance.