Cannot switch to Audio System, TV speakers active

JDXAV

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using this 806 with the Sony GT700 soundbar for a while now (via ARC). Today I was watching at lunchtime and turned off the TV, but the soundbar didn't turn off as normal.
When I came back to it this evening I cannot get the soundbar to connect to the TV. The soundbar does not turn on/off when the TV does, and whatever I do trying to select HDMI out from the TV menu gives "Cannot switch to Audio System, TV speakers active".

I hadn't changed any setting it's just stopped working and I'm not sure what to try. TV speakers are awful!
What should I do in what order to diagnose/fix this?

I've been using this 806 with the Sony GT700 soundbar for a while now (via ARC). Today I was watching at lunchtime and turned off the TV, but the soundbar didn't turn off as normal.
When I came back to it this evening I cannot get the soundbar to connect to the TV. The soundbar does not turn on/off when the TV does, and whatever I do trying to select HDMI out from the TV menu gives "Cannot switch to Audio System, TV speakers active".

I hadn't changed any setting it's just stopped working and I'm not sure what to try. TV speakers are awful!
What should I do in what order to diagnose/fix this?
I had this happen with my 806 and Yamaha AVR and sorted it by rebooting the TV. No idea why it happened but it's only done it once.

I had this happen with my 806 and Yamaha AVR and sorted it by rebooting the TV. No idea why it happened but it's only done it once.
This is what I ended up doing, once we figured out the only way to reboot the TV is to physically turn it off at the wall. We had noticed the interface seemed slow recently - not responding to the remote control for a few seconds every now and then. So maybe this is linked.

Hopefully others might find this helpful if they get the same problem.

A complete mains power disconnection and wait for say 15-30 mins is the first thing that should be tried to cure weird symptoms.

Have this issue on a daily routine with my new 65 OLED 807. Only solution for now is rebooting the TV. You can also reboot if you go to settings => android settings => device => reboot.

Have this issue on a daily routine with my new 65 OLED 807. Only solution for now is rebooting the TV. You can also reboot if you go to settings => android settings => device => reboot.
I don't have that option, annoyingly

Have had this issue with my 55OLED807/12 and Sharp HT-SBW160 since day-one regardless of cable changes, software updates, reboots, settings resets and even full factory resets 🤷🏼‍♂️... Have partially resolved it by using optical out (sounds great👍), but this means no HDMI-CEC to control soundbar volume or on/off from the tv remote so I have to keep the soundbar remote handy as well. Has anyone raised a ticket with Philips and had a response other than "update software, factory reset" ?.

Same issue on 43PUS8506 + Denon x2500h.
Was working just fine at the beginning. But after FW update i'm getting "Cannot switch to Audio System".
Firmware: TPM211EA_R.101.001.003.251

Did factory reset help anyone with this issue?

Same "Cannot switch to Audio System" error with TPM211EA_R.101.001.004.105 firmware (43PUS8506)
Currently using optical cable as a workaround.

Wonder if it is worth trying factory reset?
Not sure if reset helped anyone to remove this error, or just added few more hrs of pain to set all stuff back after the reset :/

Same "Cannot switch to Audio System" error with TPM211EA_R.101.001.004.105 firmware (43PUS8506)
Currently using optical cable as a workaround.

Wonder if it is worth trying factory reset?
Not sure if reset helped anyone to remove this error, or just added few more hrs of pain to set all stuff back after the reset :/
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but despite 3 factory resets and at least 2 firmware updates since February my 55oled807 still has this issue 🤷🏼‍♂️. Like you I have used optical out (sounds great) but would much prefer the extended control that hdmi brings over external audio components 🤔

I had the same issue and my sonos bar was reporting a HDMI conflict. Turns out it’s my Virgin box that’s causing some weird HDMI conflict. Turning the Virgin box on and off again seems to clear it and then the TV will then switch to HDMI sound system.

UPDATE:

A new HDMI cable fixed the issue - it's works again.

I have the same issue with my Philips Soundbar B97/10 and Philips TV 807 (55). The issue started yesterday were the tv suddenly said cannot switch to audio system – tv speakers are active.

I made a factory rest on both devices, but it didn’t work so have disabled everything and powered off both TV and Soundbar since last night and will after work today try to power on everything and connect it again.

Last night I couldn’t disable the TV speakers either nothing happened when I tried.

I haven’t seen any updates recently on TV or Soundbar and both are updated too newest firmware according to the TV and Soundbar Sound app.

I did notice that the left wireless speaker on the Sound Bar was flashing red and the right was constantly red (haven’t noticed it before). I have only docked out the speakers back in February and found the sound better when docked permanently. So maybe the Soundbar are the issue, as I couldn’t get any picture from the connected Blu Ray player to the TV.

I will pick up a new HDMI 2.1 cable today – just in case.

I have had the Soundbar since February 2022 where it was connected to my old Philips 803 TV. Bought the 807 in February this year and haven’t had this issue before.

I will contact Philips if I am still having issue as there still are warranty on booth devices.

Any out there how knows about the one speaker that are flashing haven’t been out of the dock for a long time – could it be broken or so? It’s way too early if that’s the case.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my Philips Soundbar B97/10 and Philips TV 807 (55). The issue started yesterday were the tv suddenly said cannot switch to audio system – tv speakers are active.

I made a factory rest on both devices, but it didn’t work so have disabled everything and powered off both TV and Soundbar since last night and will after work today try to power on everything and connect it again.

Last night I couldn’t disable the TV speakers either nothing happened when I tried.

I haven’t seen any updates recently on TV or Soundbar and both are updated too newest firmware according to the TV and Soundbar Sound app.

I did notice that the left wireless speaker on the Sound Bar was flashing red and the right was constantly red (haven’t noticed it before). I have only docked out the speakers back in February and found the sound better when docked permanently. So maybe the Soundbar are the issue, as I couldn’t get any picture from the connected Blu Ray player to the TV.

I will pick up a new HDMI 2.1 cable today – just in case.

I have had the Soundbar since February 2022 where it was connected to my old Philips 803 TV. Bought the 807 in February this year and haven’t had this issue before.

I will contact Philips if I am still having issue as there still are warranty on booth devices.

Any out there how knows about the one speaker that are flashing haven’t been out of the dock for a long time – could it be broken or so? It’s way too early if that’s the case.
Welcome to the club, have had this issue with my 807 55 from day 1 (February). It will only send audio to my Sharp 2.1 soundbar via optical out despite my Sharp working great via hdmi-arc with my old Samsung prior to 807. Unfortunately I (amongst many) have now also fallen foul of the “optical 10 second fade-out & in” since the recent firmware update 🤷🏼‍♂️…… great fun 🤣

Thank you TrimInTheSummer

I didn’t knew , that the club was so big ☹ that’s not good and should have been fixed by now.

I did read that 806 models had e-arc issue and waited for the 807 and bought if after I thought all the child disease were fixed – but apparently, they aren’t. The 803 and B97 worked like a charm but the lack of e-arc was the reason that upgraded to the 807 to get the higher sound format support. by e-arc.

Honestly TPV/Philips cannot ignore this major issue as I can read that it is. I hope all man on deck are looking into this so we can enjoy the products we have bought without these **** bumps.

It worked for me for 6 months so I hope it will work again.

I wanted to share a solution since it was bugging me for long days to fix... I have removed all other hdmi devices from the TV (Philips OLED42808) and Sonos Connect Amp connected immediately (using HDMI2 which is the designated ARC port)... turns out some devices interfere with hdmi sound out... this time it was an apple hdmi to usbc dongle...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom