Cannot start PS3 but hard drive is readable on laptop

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by taposh, Jan 6, 2012.

1. taposh

taposh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Short version of long story.

On my 2nd replacement from Sony for a 60GB PS3. 1st replacement lasted 25 mins before YLOD :eek: and the 2nd arrived yesterday.............

And gives me Cannot start Ps3. The Correct Hard Drive cannot be found error.

Waiting for SOny to get back to me with options (do I get another etc). Tried a bit of digging myself while waiting and actually a bit confused with problem.

The device won't go into recovery mode at all. I have tried formatting the drive on a laptop and it formats ok and laptop recognises it. But when I put it back in it gives same message.

However the odd thing is when I put my spare HD in (my upgraded HD from old PS3) it gives me the option to format when console switched on.

Bit curious. Is the 60gb HD just knackered/busted ? Just odd that it works in a PC.

Any ideas ? Waiting to see what Sony say. Dont really want to plough on with this console for now as the upgraded HD (750gb) took 40 hours to format !

2. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    That sounds like the problem that was introduced with one of their firmware updates, 3.56 maybe. They released a patched firmware but the root problem was never resolved! People on that firmware could NEVER update their hdd if they didn't have the original in it's unformatted state! Send it back!

3. taposh

taposh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Axum. Just speaks volumes about their quality control. How on earth did this make it out the factory.