• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cannot send mail to other email accounts

freddyuk

Standard Member
We spent hours last night configuring email on my MacPro for our new business account. I can now send mail to my partners inbox and he to mine.
When i try to send mail to any other address it says i cannot use my server to send the message.
We have rechecked all the server settings and we are identical.The Pop server settings are correct so something else is wrong
Why can't i send mail outside of our two accounts?

I have set up the same email account server on 2 other laptops and they work just fine so it is an Apple issue. What have i missed?

Last edited:

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
What email program are you using.

Are you 100% sure that you have entered all the information correctly?

I have 5 email accounts running on Apple Mail and 6 running on Entourage.

It would tend to indicate that it isn't an Apple issue and more of a user issue.

spudtator

Prominent Member
Presuming you're using 'Mail' on your Mac.
Have you tried looking at 'Connection Doctor' from the 'Window' menu? Can give you a clue to where the issue is.

D

Deleted member 27989

Have you actually entered any SMTP settings? Pop is ok for receiving but you need SMTP for sending...Normally sending to the person on the same mail server is ok without SMTP settings, but if you want to go outside that server and onto the Internet you need to authenticate first...Hence put your details in...

freddyuk

Standard Member
Have you actually entered any SMTP settings? Pop is ok for receiving but you need SMTP for sending...Normally sending to the person on the same mail server is ok without SMTP settings, but if you want to go outside that server and onto the Internet you need to authenticate first...Hence put your details in...

All required settings were entered but it refused to send anything via that server.
We have now set up using IMAP and it seems to work so far but now my mailbox empties itself.

i thought this was going to be a great system but still have the usual nightmare getting everything to work and things go wrong without any obvious reason.

D

Deleted member 27989

All required settings were entered but it refused to send anything via that server.
We have now set up using IMAP and it seems to work so far but now my mailbox empties itself.

i thought this was going to be a great system but still have the usual nightmare getting everything to work and things go wrong without any obvious reason.

I'd be pretty certain not all setting are entered. Especially the ones to authenticate prior to sending mail.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
What/where is the mail server you are using? Is it at your ISPs or do you have a mail server at your business.? If your server login details etc. really are setup correctly then the error message that you cannot use a particular server to send the message indicates a problem with the server.

Here are details of exactly what you should be doing
Configuring email accounts in Mail (Mac OS X v10.5 or later)
I suggest setting up a temporary address with Gmail & then accessing that email from your Mac Mail just to confirm that your methodology is correct.

Please give us as much detail as possible of what exactly you are entering like whether you are using SSL & which port numbers are used for IMAP & SMTP.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom