1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot seem to get any sound whilst playing an SACD on the Pioneer DV-868AVi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ResB, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can only play the SACD when the DVD player is set to "CD". When I set it to Multichannel or 2ch no sound is heard. The SACD is a hybrid SACD would this be the reason?

Thanks all. :)

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    Have you connected the 5.1 analogue outputs on the dvd player to the external 5.1 input on your amp?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    With the exception of the Pioneer iLink the only way to connect a player to an amp for multichannel music is via the 5.1 analogue connections.
    If it is anything like playing a DVD-A disk on my system you have to set the DVD to output via the analogue 6 channel outputs. Set the receiver to the external input and then set the disk to play the SACD multichannel soundtrack.

Mark.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    didn't i say that?

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    must of been in irish............OH!!

6. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I believe I have but I will check tonight. It's is likely that I have overlooked something as while I was trying to set it up the lad was trying his best to put the Anthony Gallo Micro speakers in his mouth... :) The buggas got bottom teeth now so it's getting kinda fun... :D

Thanks for all of your replies it sounds like that is the answer. :)

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point is licensees aren't permited to emit unencrypted digital out of the player from an SACD source. That would let you make "perfect" copies. So your current choices are encrypted digital from player (via ilink/firewire), or analogue.

8. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just thought I would reincarnate this thread as I have been away for a while and have just started messing woth the AV equipment again.

I still cannot get SACD to work. I have the DVD player connected to the Receiver via the Anologue 5.1 in/outs. I have set the DVD player to play multichannel SACD (Note...DVD-Audio is also on) and the Receiver is set to 5.1 Anologue.

All I get is the SACD playing but no sound at all. I do not have a Scart connected to the DVD player at all as I understand the Digital Audio Coaxial will provide the 2 Channel Anologue.

Emm, still kind of fluxed with this one..any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers :smashin:

9. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi ResB I spent at least 2 hours last weekend with a similar problem.I was confident that I had my denon 2910 and 2805 correctly connected but couldn't get a squeak out of the newly acquired sacd DSOTM.I eventually worked out that I had set the HDMI output to multi and that when this is done the 5.1 analogue doesn't output anything.Switched HDMI to 2 channel and voila!Don't know enough about your equipment to know if it may be the same,but it may help.
    Regards
    Ian

10. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ah ha....I had done this before but thought that it was only 2ch being fed through the 5 speakers. How can you be sure it's multichannel as oppsed to just stereo?

Just for information I connected a SCART to the Receiver and DVD Player and again got no sound. However, When I selected Advanced Music on the receiver I got sound through all the speakers. I just need to take the SCART out and see if sound still plays without the SCART.

11. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    As far as I understand it if you're playing an sacd disc and your dvd is set to read the sacd layer then all processing should be done by the dvd,none by the amp.This being the case the only 5 channel output should be via the analogue ext.in cabling.So if you've got your amp set on ext in and you've got music from all loudspeakers it's sacd you're hearing.If you're unsure disconnect everything but the sacd cables and see if there's still something to hear. It does sound very different to analogue or digital stereo.
    If I'm teaching you to suck eggs ignore the ramble!!
    Regards
    Ian