Cannot screw filter onto Infocus 7210

Meeko

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just received my Infocus 7210 and it's incredible! Been playing High Def clips from my aging laptop and the PQ is simple breath taking.

I've also bought a Hoya HMC 72mm NDx2 filter which really boosts the contrast and reduces the brightness nicely, as it's almost too bright.

Only prob is I can't get it to screw on. The manual says screw it on clockwise, and it simply wont bite and screw in.

Any ideas?

Meeko,

Nice to hear that you got it & you're pleased. They say it's brighter than the 7205, even tho it's rated as the same, apparently it's due to the higher contrast ratio.

I did read a post ages ago where someone had a similar problem. It should be the same as the 7205, since they have same casing. I must say a couple of times I had trouble getting it to bite. I think it goes in quite far before it reaches the thread. Also, don't forget it goes clockwise, lol.

T.

that's interesting.
I have a 7210 on order for my new HC, is this filter necessary as I hadn't considered it ?

My PJ is around 3.8m from the screen (which is a 100" 4:3 - I know, not ideal!) and I can say that even with the lamp in economy mode the picture almost too bright. It looks seriously impressive, but I almost got a head ache from glare after watching a 2 hour movie. The filter not only improves the contrast (obvious improvement), but makes the movie far more cinema-like.

There's no doubt that the image looks more impressive and sharp/crisp without the filter, but depending on the individual, it may be just a tad too bright.

Meeko, if it's still too bright & is overpowering, try an ND4 which will take it down further. When I was considering a 7210 I was going to try an ND4.

Also, after the lamp has dimmed after a few hundred hours you could then transfer to the ND2 to get some brightness back.

I have a 7205 and a Hoya ND2 as well. In a small room such as my HT room it improves the viewing comfort and the contrast/black levels.

The threads on the 7205/10 are tricky, if you haven't yet fixed it to the ceiling the easy way is to put it between your legs with the lens facing up. Then place the filter into the ring and turn it very lightly clockwise. It might take a couple of attempts to get the filter to lay flat enough not to cross-thread but once it goes you will see how.

If it is already on the ceiling then just try and get the filter as vertically straight as possible and place a thumb and finger on opposite sides of the rim of the filter and with a feathertouch twist clockwise.

The thread on the 72xx are quite short so the filter will only rotate once or twice before it is fully in place. Don't overtighten it either as they a pain to unscrew again sometimes.

I have the same pj with the same filter as yours and I did'nt encounter any problems fixing it, just be careful as the filter is a little bit fragile and can break the glass or damage the thread. I agree with you as this pj is really awesome and when I have friends around they are all impressed with the pic.

Sorry to go slightly adrift topicwise, but I was wondering if anyone with filter experience could confirm whether it's generally okay to place an ND2 filter somewhere inside the focus ring? I'm looking at picking up an ND2 for my new HD72, and noticed that a 52-60mm one (plus a little bluetack) could potentially sit all the way back inside the lens area, on the final 'step' before the glass lens itself. Aside from being a cheaper solution, the outer focus ring is almost 8cm, so I'm not even sure a 77mm filter would be big enough anyway...

Cheers in advance for any assistance.

omenII said:
Sorry to go slightly adrift topicwise, but I was wondering if anyone with filter experience could confirm whether it's generally okay to place an ND2 filter somewhere inside the focus ring? I'm looking at picking up an ND2 for my new HD72, and noticed that a 52-60mm one (plus a little bluetack) could potentially sit all the way back inside the lens area, on the final 'step' before the glass lens itself. Aside from being a cheaper solution, the outer focus ring is almost 8cm, so I'm not even sure a 77mm filter would be big enough anyway...

I'm not sure about the H72i, but I've got an H79, which doesn't have a thread. The lens is about a 72mm size & have used a 77mm Hoya HMC ND2 so it's propped against it held in place at the bottom with a bit of blu-tack. Works a treat, so you should be able to sort it.

just got my 7210 can you help me out with the setting i.e what do they mean ?on the service menu it has offset red\blue\green/y and pr/cr pb/cb have looked in the user guide no help there !
thank dave

hello djdave,

just to let you know, this is an old thread......you might want to start a thread of your own asking what settings people use with the same projector (example being for a thread title put 'Infocus 7210, what settings are people using?'...)

i cant help you as i use a 7205, altho similar it has a few differences, but the main one being my bulb is on around 2,500 hours so i've altered a few things to adapt to the slightly lower brightness (altho to be honest it isnt a lot duller)........

like i say, try posting your own thread on the subject, you might get more response :)

omenII said:

Yup, I had a Hoya 62mm ND2 and that sat nicely inside the ring of my Hd72i. A dab of blutac held it in place. The light path got nowhere near the edge of the filter

It had to go in the end as I found an 8 foot wide picture at pretty much full throw to be too dim with the filter - even on the 72 !

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom