1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Record or Playback following disk upgrade

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Alf Tupper, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 160Gb drive around 6 months ago, and at weekend I finally got the kids to agree to lose all their recorded programmes so that I could upgrade. :thumbsup:

Anyway, on Saturday I removed the lid and plugged in my new drive. It worked OK. I briefly tested Record & Playback and it was fine. :thumbsup: However, I didn't have a T10 bit to remove the old drive so I reconnected the old drive and went off to order my new T10 bit from Maplins.

Last night, armed with my new T10 bit, I completely swapped drives, and plugged in. But the system now comes up with an error if I try to Record anything. I spent 2 hours+ checking things and connections, and in the end had to give up, and put the old disk back. :mad:

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may have done wrong, and what I can do to fix things? :lease:

Thanks in Advance. :)

BTW It's a Pace Version 1 box, and I followed the excellent instructions from humvee.co.uk (formerly hummer.co.uk).

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Is the IDE cable damaged? If it's damaged then a search for "IDE cable for BSKYB3000" might find a supplier. Mind you, if the old drive works, that suggests the new drive is now faulty. Did you observe static electricity handling precautions? Did you do the swapping with the mains completely disconnected?

Are you sure that the IDE cable isn't just intermittent?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Did the box do housekeeping on the drive when it first booted ?

Did you turn off instant rewind before changing the drive ?

4. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Sam,

As you say, given that the old drive still works it suggests that the cable is OK. I "kind of" observed the static precautions as much as possible - is it possible that I've "fried" the drive. (It does power up, and make the reassuring clicking noises).

The mains was completely disconnected.

Over the course of 2 hours, I swopped the drives a few times, but the results seemed to be consistent - so I guess it isn't an intermittent cable fault.

Regards.

5. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

Not sure what you mean by "the box do housekeeping". As per the insts on the hummer site, I waited 2 minutes, pressed the Sky button, and then did a manual housekeeping procedure.

As far as I'm aware I did turn off the Instant rewind (sorry to be vague here) on the several occasions that I swapped drives, but I do remember that on 1 occasion I hadn't turned it off. Is this a major issue?

Regards.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, when instant rewind is turned on, the box is continuously writing to the drive, and this may have mucked up the housekeeping. Try turning the instant rewind off, then do the housekeeping again. You can turn the rewind back on when it's done. It's very unlikely that you've fried the drive.

7. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reassurances on frying the drive. Anyway, I will try again tonight now that my brain is suitably refreshed, and post my results.
    Thanks.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The thing you want to avoid is to jar the drive whilst it's spinning. Hard drives can withstand several G's when "parked" (switched off) but they don't need much of a knock whilst they're spinning to cause damage.