Cannot record CHANNEL 4 and watch BBC1

JohnFW

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Humax Foxsat is great...but I find on some occasions - like last night - when recording channel 104 I cannot watch channel 101.:confused: Why is this? Very puzzled.

John

If you are saying you were just recording CH 4 and have two cables then there is something wrong. With two cables you can always view and record any second channel. If you are recording two though the choice of third channel viewing depends on what you are recording.

If you have two cables try this

Start an instant recording on 108, start a second on 951. Now tune to a selection of other channels and press pause. You should be able to view and live pause any other channel on the epg. If you can't there's a fault somewhere most likely the second tuner connection.

Hi Graham,
Just tried:
Now recording both 108 and 951 as suggested. Seems to work - I can pause both. But if I use the OK button to select the channels, BBC2 is grayed out and if I attempt to select it by pressing "OK" the Not Allowed mark appears at top right. Similarly if I attempt to run through the channels by using the UP/DOWN arrows I cannot find BBC2 (channel 102) between 101 and 103.

Tuner problem do you think?

You're not meant to pause 108 and 951; you're meant to tune to a "selection of other channels and press pause".

Hi Graham,
Just tried:
Now recording both 108 and 951 as suggested. Seems to work - I can pause both. But if I use the OK button to select the channels, BBC2 is grayed out and if I attempt to select it by pressing "OK" the Not Allowed mark appears at top right. Similarly if I attempt to run through the channels by using the UP/DOWN arrows I cannot find BBC2 (channel 102) between 101 and 103.

Tuner problem do you think?

You did not say how many cables you have from the dish assuming you have two there's something wrong. 108 and 951 are on the same transponder so the hdr only needs one tuner to record both. The second tuner should give you 100% coverage of all channels and also allow time shifting. It sounds as if your box thinks it's only got 1 cable and the loop from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in (this is consistent with what you found BBC 2 is Horizontally polarised so would not be viewable with 108 and 951 as these are vertically polarised). Assuming you have two cables check that they are connected to the two outer connections. If wrong correct them (have the box in sby). Now do a factory reset and check the box reports two cables found.

If you originally installed the box with one cable and susequently added another then this would explain the problem the box needs a reset to find the second cable.

Last edited:
Hi again Graham, thanks for spending time on this one:thumbsup:
We're getting there.
2 cables from LNB and both were in outer sockets so OK. Performed factory reset, diagnostic reports two cables. MAYBE have solution. A month back the LNB failed on one polarisation and had to be replaced. Before diagnosing the problem I manually tuned. I did not attempt factory reset after LNB replacement - just Freesat tune as I remember. However now I CAN record two channels and pause a third whilst watching.:) But still a strange query - if I instant record Channel 4 (104) and BBC2 (102), most of the channels shown when pressing the OK button are grayed out. In particular 101 and 103 are grayed out. Can you explain?:confused:
Regards, John

Yes I can. CH 4 104 is on transponder 10714 H and BBC 2 102 is on 10773 H. The ability of the hdrs tuners to receive two channels from the same transponder means that you can then only view channels sharing a transponder with either recording. In this case thats

Code:
104 Channel 4	10714	H
125 More4 +1	10714	H
300 Film4 	10714	H
301 Film4 +1	10714	H
974 Channel 4	10714	H

102 BBC Two	10773	H
105 Channel 5	10773	H
106 BBC Three	10773	H
107 BBC Four	10773	H
600 CBBC 	10773	H
601 CBeebies	10773	H
950 BBC 1 London	10773	H
957 BBC 1 NI	10773	H
968 BBC 2 England	10773	H

For more info see this thread

Hummy.org.uk Forums - View Single Post - What can I record and watch ?

Fantastic! Great help. Many thanks. Supplementary query?
I want to use a homeplug network so I can use BBC Iplayer. Do I really need 200mb units, or will 85mb do?

John

Fantastic! Great help. Many thanks. Supplementary query?
I want to use a homeplug network so I can use BBC Iplayer. Do I really need 200mb units, or will 85mb do?

John

Hard to answer this one. 85mbps is fine for the current iplayer but you won't get 85mbps as this is the maximum under ideal conditions. Signalling through a dis brd onto a seperate ring main and noise on the mains will reduce the speed. The higher rated ones will give you a better margin under less than ideal conditions and also allow for a possible future HD service. Best of all, cheapest and future proof is a length of cat5E cable :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom