Cannot Open casing of Humax HDR 1100s Box?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Blemished, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Blemished

Blemished
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I got rid of SKY and bought a Humax HDR 1100S 500GB

I had a 1500GB custom size Sky+ HD box and today I trashed this box to retrieve the HDD so I can put it in the Humax HDR 1100S 500GB. I have removed the single screw at the back under the warranty seal which is pretty good going for a bit of kit I only had for an hour (not even tried it yet).

I pried the top from it and I am faced with a grey plastic grid and this has no visible means to remove.

There are 4 screws underneath (not under the 4 rubber feet like on the 1000S) and 2 of these were under warranty seals.

I am now wondering if any of the screws underneath need to be removed to release the grey grid. If the answer is yes then I did not need to take off the top. If the answer is no I run the risk of unscrewing a component inside.

Has anybody an educated guess or even better, a definitive answer. I have searched the Forums before starting this thread. I have also spent a lot of time Googling, looking on Youtube and more. All I find is earlier models being opened up, not found anything showing the Humax HDR 1100S case being opened.

The HDD I pulled from the SKY box is a Samsung HD154UI (1500GB/R54/32M) SATA 3gb/s

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The 2nd and 3rd image show like clips. I have tried pushing them but there seems to be no give.

The final image is looking down the slit above those clips in image 2 and 3.

If you can help it will be greatly appreciated.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    The case screws are usually hidden under the stick on rubber feet on the base (at least on a HDR1000S they are). If you remove carefully they will stick on again.

3. Blemished

Blemished
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was expecting screws to be under the rubber feet Graham but no screws are under them. I still have the top off it and will likely replace it if I get no solution soon. I mainly watch football on TV and rarely watch anything else. If I record anything it will be football so I am thinking the 500GB Drive on it will be big enough for my needs. I want the bigger drive in it so I can stream wirelessly the files I transfer to it via USB DRIVE, but since I cannot set it up to join my home network until I figure out how to disable the DHCP IP assigning in my router, this isn't going to happen soon.

The 4 screws underneath I loosened as much as I dare and the grey plastic frame did not seem effected. I forgot to add a photo of these screws, I'll add one soon.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Post a query on MyHumax, someone is likely to have done a disk swap on the 1100S.

5. Rizer57

Rizer57
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I managed to replace the HDD successfully.

To open the case there is only one screw, which is on the back where the cable connections are, in the middle. It is under a warranty sticker so peel that off if you don't have a problem invalidating the warranty. It is a black screw.

If you undo this then put the unit face down so you are looking at the bottom, there is one point on each corner which are recesses and in those holes are grey teeth/clips which are the locking clips for the grey cage referenced in the photos above. Using a flat head screw driver you gently push up or down and then where the top case screw was just undone you can gently pull the top case off by running your fingernail/flat head screw driver along the join and at the same time as you go each corner prise the grey clip and the corner cover will pop out as you go round the machine.

Be careful not to press too hard as you might snap the clip. When all four are up you should be able to prise the top cover off and the grey cage remains attached to the top cover exposing the innards of the machine, the grey cage should not be separate to the black top cover, as is photo'ed above.

There are five screws to remove the hard drive, 4 are underneath on the bottom cover and one is next to the HDD on the motherboard with a cushioned grey aluminium clip holding it in place (presume to absorb any vibration). I removed the 4 underneath first and then the grey clip. The hard drive then slid out/away from the connecting teeth when I gently pushed it away from the connection the motherboard/HDD has.

The original HDD I had in there was 500gb 'video' HDD and the replacement was a 2tb HDD 'video' i harvested from a defunct sky + HD box. With your replacement HDD I would recommend getting a 'video' one as these are apparently better than regular HDD when there are two streams of data to record at once, or in other words to TV programmes to record at once.

I discovered the 2TB drive is slightly deeper than the 500gb one (a little over 1cm perhaps) but was the exact same length and width. This unfortunately meant the grey cushioning clip was not tall enough to cover the replacing HDD's depth but I simply turned it upside down and other way round, peeled off the cushion, restuck the cushion on the opposite position then refitted the clip, it worked a treat. I then replaced the 4 screws on the underneath and popped the top cover back on.

Refitted it to my TV and booted up, no problems at all. The Humax realised it was a new HDD so automatically asked to reformat it. I clicked ok and the reformat took approximately 5 mins. I now have after format 1782gb available space, the old 500gb allowed for 463gb recording space, so I am very pleased.

The whole process took me about an hour but probably more because I was being very careful to not break the cover and as it was uncharted territory given the HDR 1000s Humax HDD drive replacement on youtube turned out to be of no help to doing the same on this 1100s machine :) I hope that helps.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    There is up to 3 HD data streams being recorded. While recording two and watching a 3rd, then the 3rd is also being recorded to the time shift buffer file.