Cannot get youtube in 8k on LG NANO95

Chisel

Novice Member
So trying to watch YouTube 8k videos on my nano95, when I open a 8k video and check the resolution it generally autos to 1440 but will not allow me pick anything higher 4k. Spoke to LG and they blame youtube however I did find one video that did allow me to pick 8k but this is not readily available in all 8k videos on youtube. Anyone know why this is such an issue?

sebna

It is bleeding edge. Problems like this will take at least one generation to iron out. Probably 2-3.

Chisel

Novice Member
Thanks for quick reply, seems to me as I found another couple of videos on youtube that are actually 4320p that it may be due to most not being in av1 format?
Very frustrating but guess this comes with being ahead of the curve.

next010

Distinguished Member
From owners of ZX (8K OLED), the Youtube 8K AV1 is working .

The nano95 has the alpha9 gen 3 chipset so should be the same as the ZX OLED.

See if you can play either of these videos.
first has an AV1 HDR 60fps video stream in its listing via YT-DL.

second has an AV1 SDR 24fps stream.

third has an AV1 SDR 60fps stream.

Chisel

Novice Member
These were some of the videos I found, I guess that for whatever reason most of the 8k videos on youtube are not 8k which was threw me originally.

rupert81

These were some of the videos I found, I guess that for whatever reason most of the 8k videos on youtube are not 8k which was threw me originally.
Half the time my 4k tv cannot play 4k videos either. My router is quite far away. I can only imagine the bandwidth 8k needs!

Chisel

Novice Member
Not a bandwidth issue, I get over 150mb on 5g network. It's purely a lack of 8k content that's compatible with YouTube app on TVs.

next010

Distinguished Member
t's purely a lack of 8k content that's compatible with YouTube app on TVs.

Its hard to know for sure, one way to test is download the AV1 video that wont play in 8K via the app and see if it plays on the TV via USB.

Use Jdownloader 2 to grab any YT link, select the 4320p AV1 video option. It will download and save it to a MP4 container (AV1 officially uses .MP4).

In addition run that MP4 through MKVtoolnix and create a .MKV copy of it in case the LG refuses to play the AV1 MP4 file.

If neither work then it remains a mystery but if one of them plays then you know its Google's YT app on WebOS that needs to be improved.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom