• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cannot get remote control to work.

Wallace1297

Novice Member
I recently bought a Sony RDR-HXD970 DVD Recorder which was to replace the exact same make and model I previously had of which the Disc Drive had failed. I'm having terrible trouble trying to get the remote control to work. The tuning in process just seemed to happen out of the blue so that's not an issue, I think. I can't get System Menu, Input, Play, Record, changing from HDD to DVD or anything to work using the remote. My TV (Panasonic TX-32LXD70) has just 2 HDMI sockets and I use HDMI-1 for my Sky Box, HDMI-2 for my DVD Recorder. When I want to use my PS4 I change the HDMI-1 over leaving the HDMI-2 socket as it is in order to use the DVD Recorder. The Sky Remote Control works fine on both HDMI-1 and HDMI-2, changing channels is fine. However, when I try to use the DVD Recorder remote nothing works. I've tried as Page 24 Parts 1 and 2 of the manual suggests which is hold down the TV green button (bottom right) and press the appropriate code number, in my case (because I have a Panasonic TV) 17 or 49. All this does here is turn off the DVD Recorder and the TV set. Obviously using the old remote on the previous Recorder (which was the exact same make and model) was not a problem, so why is this ? Where am I going wrong ? Please help if you can. Yes, batteries are installed correctly and everything is as it should be at the back cable-wise.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You need to set the "command mode" for the recorder/remote, see the last paragraph on page 25 of your user manual where it refers to DVD3.

Wallace1297

Novice Member
In between posting the topic and seeing this reply I managed to figure it out. Yes, you're perfectly correct it was a command mode issue, in this case DVD1. Thanks for the reply.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom