Cannot get Dolby atmos set up on my pc

spartanz1080

Novice Member
I only have a 2 channel soundbar and it supports Dolby atmos. And I have it connected like this. Lg c2 connected to soundbar via hdmi arc and pc connected to tv via hdmi 2.1 using Nvidia audio drivers with the tv outputting to the soundbar I get sound. In my supported Audio formats in the tv when the soundbar is set to pcm I get Dolby digital plus Dolby digital true HD and Dolby digital. I am able to use the Dolby access app to set up Dolby home theater but when I play Dolby atmos content I do not get a Dolby atmos light on the sound bar. If I use pcm on my ps5 I do not get a Dolby light but if I change it to pass through I do get a Dolby light on my ps5. So I thought change it to pass through and then i will get the Dolby light on my pc but when I change it to pass through in my pc sound settings all my supported formats except Dolby digital go away so I am not able to re enable Dolby atmos from the access app. I am super confused on what I should doing.

Attachments

• 5E05BB0A-F739-458E-B3E7-B4F44500443E.jpeg
    5E05BB0A-F739-458E-B3E7-B4F44500443E.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 30
  • E8C255E4-F8FD-4AB5-A032-3750851EF34F.jpeg
    E8C255E4-F8FD-4AB5-A032-3750851EF34F.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 27

KBD

If you want the TV to pass ATMOS to the soundbar, you'll need an eARC connection:

1654135628867.png

Another option is to connect the PC to the soundbar. (if it can pass video through to the TV)
I did some experimenting with this a while back from my ThinkPad to my TV & found the best results were direct to the soundbar.

spartanz1080

Novice Member
I am only trying to pass through Dolby digital I downloaded some Dolby audio drivers from guru3d and I selected Dolby digital and it worked I launched a Dolby game and the Dolby icon lit up but then after 5 minutes the sound stopped working and I can not get it come back on why did it go away? It was on pass through and everything only problem is now there is no sound. Is the an Nvidia audio driver with Dolby digital or anything audio drivers I can download from Dolby

Attachments

• C716A562-F272-4E1A-B5D8-0BD1E22AC391.jpeg
    C716A562-F272-4E1A-B5D8-0BD1E22AC391.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 28

spartanz1080

Novice Member
Ok so I was able to download an Nvidia driver with Dolby digital and now I am able to pass through Dolby digital in selected format over hdmi and the Dolby icon lights up on sound bar in all content. However I get more Dolby formats if I change the setting to pcm on the tv and I am able to enable dolby atmos for home theater in dolby acess however the dolby light does not light up anymore so im wondering which is true dolby content I assume the one which the soundbar is displayed in dolby

JaylumX

Standard Member
Try this to get more audio formats.

1. RTX 3090 HDMI out to C2 HDMI IN - This mean you keep 4k120
2. If your soundbar has an ARC and another HDMI port then RTX 3090 via passive Displayport to HDMI cable to soundbar HDMI IN and not its ARC port.
  • The reason I say use a passive Displayport to HDMI adaptor is that I do not think a 3090 has more than 1 HDMI out. If yours does then sure connect the 3090 to soundbar HDMI using HDMI cable.
  • Connecting 3090 to Soundbar will make PC think soundbar is a display so in Display Setting set to "Extend these displays" and set the Soundbar to 1280x720 60hz resolution and align it diagonally to the right and bellow your main display to prevent mouse from going there.
  • In the sound settings, you should have the C2 as a sound device and your Soundbar as a sound device. Disable the C2 as a sound device by setting it to "Don't allow" or you might have annoying issues.
3. Connect C2 HDMI ARC to Soundbar HDMI ARC so you can not only hear audio from your C2's internal apps as well as any other devices connected to the C2 but also you can use the C2's remote to change volume coming from PC.
4. Enable Dolby Atmos for home theatre in the Dolby access app.
5. To avoid a delay before hearing a sound on your Soundbar, use Soundkeeper app (google search) and set it up to launch at startup.

Doing the above will allow the Soundbar to decode lossless audio formats like TrueHD or DTS-MA via bitstreaming if your Soundbar support those formats. If you are lucky to have a Soundbar that has 3D sound capability then enable it and it will virtualize 7.1/5.1 PCM format. The latest version of the Dolby access app encodes PCM to Atmos.

spartanz1080

Novice Member
It only has one HDMi port so I am stuck 3090 to pc soundbar to tv. I have a few more general questions. When I have it set to pass through the only format I get is Dolby digital and the Dolby icon lights up when I select Dolby digital but when I set it to pcm I get Dolby digital Dolby digital plus and true HD but the Dolby icon does not light up on my soundbar anymore when I select it am I still getting Dolby sound I thought it had something to do PCM processing just making sure if this correct and why I get more formats in PCM than passthrough. It’s on bitstream. It also supports DTS. I am able to get on optical but not HDMI passthrough. I read lg does not support DTS passthrough if it’s true but what about PCM. Sorry I am pretty new to this

spartanz1080

Novice Member
It’s just a vizio 21x j8 not much it supports dts and Dolby digital true hd and digital plus I have all those supported formats except dts over hdmi but I get dts over optical. But when it’s on pass through on the tv I only get Dolby digital the Dolby icon lights up but when it’s on pcm the Dolby icon does not light up but I can still set the output as Dolby digital so I didn’t know if it was still Dolby . I don’t think lg can pass through dts over hdmi but what about pcm. I’m just trying to learn.

JaylumX

Standard Member
The answer to the issues you are having stems from the limited ARC capability of your soundbar and its limited audio format support.

Looks like the soundbar only has one HDMI which is ARC only. Your C2 cannot (correction from can) passthrough DTS over HDMI ARC hence why it is only supported via optical.

In windows, my soundbar is listed with the max number of channels as 8 and the encode formats extending far more than yours.

Your soundbar has no object based audio formats and you are only limited to 2.0 LPCM sound compared of mine as LPCM 7.1.

Last edited:

spartanz1080

Novice Member
The answer to the issues you are having stems from the limited ARC capability of your soundbar and its limited audio format support.

Looks like the soundbar only has one HDMI which is ARC only. Your C2 can passthrough DTS over HDMI ARC hence why it is only supported via optical.

In windows, my soundbar is listed with the max number of channels as 8 and the encode formats extending far more than yours.

Your soundbar has no object based audio formats and you are only limited to 2.0 LPCM sound compared of mine as LPCM 7.1.
Ok thank you my last question is If I have set to PCM on the tv and Dolby digital on the format selected on my PC is it still Dolby audio even though the light doesn’t show up or do I only get it in passthrough since the light shows up?

JaylumX

Standard Member
Ok thank you my last question is If I have set to PCM on the tv and Dolby digital on the format selected on my PC is it still Dolby audio even though the light doesn’t show up or do I only get it in passthrough since the light shows up?
It will be Dolby audio if sound was from the tv only but because you have also connected the soundbar your TV will decode Dolby audio but send PCM to the soundbar.

If set to passthrough on the other hand then the Soundbar will decode the audio because the raw Dolby audio format is sent there.

There are three levels of decoding.

Either your PC decode Dolby to PCM and sends to TV.

Or you bitstream from PC to TV which then decodes Dolby audio to PCM and sends to soundbar.

Or bitstream PC, bitstream TV and the soundbar will decode Dolby audio.

The last one should light up Dolby on soundbar.

Last edited:

spartanz1080

Novice Member
So does that mean it still is technically Dolby because the TV is decoding Dolby it just doesn’t light up the soundbar because it’s sending PCM to the soundbar. I think that’s what I got.

JaylumX

Standard Member
That is correct.

It would be better if you let the Soundbar decode it though.

JaylumX

Standard Member
The arc port on soundbar is bidirectional so it should accept dolby audio from PC or TV if soundbar is connected to tv's hdmi arc port and PC and TV is set to bitstream.

spartanz1080

Novice Member
The arc port on soundbar is bidirectional so it should accept dolby audio from PC or TV if soundbar is connected to tv's hdmi arc port and PC and TV is set to bitstream.
So I have connected to the tv on bitstream and passthrough and now I get the Dolby light on pcm I didn’t get the Dolby light is passthrough the correct setting as I understand?

Also when I set it to pcm two more formats show Dolby digital Plus and true HD as opposed to just digital in passthrough but then I don’t get the Dolby light anymore.

Also is there a way to get Dolby digital sound output without downloading custom Nvidia Dolby audio driver. Just wondering.

JaylumX

Standard Member
Passthrough is the correct setting.

Your TV does support DD+ and true HD but it will decode it and send it to soundbar as PCM stereo.

You can try Microsoft's High Definition audio device audio driver.

spartanz1080

Novice Member
Passthrough is the correct setting.

Your TV does support DD+ and true HD but it will decode it and send it to soundbar as PCM stereo.

You can try Microsoft's High Definition audio device audio driver.
Thank you for all your help. One last thing I’m not sure if my soundbar supports eARC but it sounds better on eARC.

JaylumX

Standard Member
I do not think your soundbar supports ARC. I did not find any references to it in your soundbar manuals.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I only have a 2 channel soundbar and it supports Dolby atmos' - set your Source to 2.0 (stereo) and stop stressing about lighting up 'indicator' LED's and processing the audio in the chip in the Soundbar vs. the chip in the Source device, it'll make no difference where you process it.

Joe

spartanz1080

Novice Member
'I only have a 2 channel soundbar and it supports Dolby atmos' - set your Source to 2.0 (stereo) and stop stressing about lighting up 'indicator' LED's and processing the audio in the chip in the Soundbar vs. the chip in the Source device, it'll make no difference where you process it.

Joe
Ok sorry I’m just really new to soundbars when I bought it I just wanted something better than desktop speakers but now I’m kinda learning about stuff about what matters and doesn’t

JaylumX

Standard Member
It’s connected via HDMI arc do you mean eARC?

"I do not think your soundbar supports ARC. I did not find any references to it in your soundbar manuals."

Sorry i was meant to say "eARC". Your soundbar does not support eARC, just bog standard ARC.

Check out Mr Mans post in the linkage for the difference between ARC and eArc capabilities.

Linkage

spartanz1080

Novice Member
"I do not think your soundbar supports ARC. I did not find any references to it in your soundbar manuals."

Sorry i was meant to say "eARC". Your soundbar does not support eARC, just bog standard ARC.

Check out Mr Mans post of the difference between ARC and eArc capabilities.

Mr Man
Ok it seems to sound better with it on maybe placebo should I turn it off is there any harm..

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow