Cannot get a resolution greater than 1080p 24hz with my J-Tech HDMI Extender

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pjirele, Jun 23, 2015.

1. pjirele

pjirele
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again everyone for the great info I've been able to get from this forum.

Issue: Cannot get a resolution greater than 1080p 24hz with my J-Tech HDMI over single Ethernet Cable Extender (supports CAT5/e, 6 up to 300 ft

Setup/Video Equipment:
    XFinity Cable Box Does 1080p (60hz I believe) and below
    WDTV Media Hub: Does 1080p (60hz, 50hz, 24hz and below)
    Sony Bluray Player: 1080p 24hz I believe
    XBox One: 1080p and 720p with "allow" 50hz and 24hz options
    Generic DK104 PET0104P HDMI Splitter 1x4 Ports 4 Port 1080P v1.3 HDTV 3D HD Audio splitter from Amazon (supports everything it states)
    Sharp 46 inch 1080p 60hz compatible HDTV
    Epson Powerlite 8100 (1080p 60hz compatible)
    Element 24 inch 1080p 60hz compatible HDTV
    Pioneer 5 HDMI input 1 HDMI output receiver

1x4 HDMI splitter is connected to my: Projector via 35ft HDMI cable (no issues with 1080p 60hz), Sharp TV via 2 CAT6 cables (Monoprice HDMI extender over 2 CAT6 cables - no issues with 1080p 60hz) and lastly to my J-Tech HDMI extender to my Element TV (only supports 1080p 24hz and below).

I have CAT5e run from my living room to my mechanical room (85 ft)
    I then have another CAT5e run from my mechanical room back to my bar area (40 ft) -(Issue location)
    Although the specs state I should be using T568B terminations I terminated them with T568A RJ45 "female" ends then connected the two ends (Living room to mechanical room CAT5 run <> Mechanical room to bar run) with a "factory" CAT5 T568B cable. Each end of my HDMI extender uses a CAT5 T568B factory cable. Note, the reason I did the T568A connections is because our networking guy at work said that as long as both ends match up pin-to-pin they are interchangeable. Also, everything I've read online states the same thing. (Initially tested the full run from basement living room to bar that was connected to my router and passed the online speed test with flying colors)

*If I bypass the run from the mechanical room to my bar with a 50ft factory terminated CAT5 cable run just laid on the floor to the bar area and connected to my J-Tech HDMI extender receiver end I can get 1080p 60hz no problem to the bar Element TV (note, TV is 1080p 60hz compatible). As soon as I connect my "normal" run of CAT5e I have to change my settings back down (WDTV to 1080p 24hz, XBox One to 720p, Bluray already outputs to 1080p 24hz and lastly my XFinity box to 1080i) to get it all working seamlessly on all 3 TVs/Projectors.

*Things I've tried:
    1. Unplugging the Projector and SharpTV connections from my 1x4 Splitter so only the bar/Element TV is connected (no luck - 1080p 24hz max) -thinking the signal may be degraded with all 3 connections. (worth a try)
    2. Directly connecting my Receiver's HDMI output to my Extender input (no luck - 1080p 24hz max)
    3. I have a backup 1x2 J-Tech splitter that I connected only the Receiver's output to and Extender to. (no luck - 1080p 24hz max)
    4. Bought 3ft replacement HDMI cables to connect to both ends of the HDMI extender.
    5. Replaced CAT5 Extender cables as well as my mechanical room "bridge/coupler cables with new factory cables (already had factory cables but hey, worth a tri).
    6. Drank a lot, prayed, surfed the internet all day at work today for an answer, almost cried. Ha

*In the end, the only thing that gives my full 1080p 60hz resolution on my Element bar TV is if I bypass my mechanical room connection with a factory connected cable.

-Could it be possible that my second run (mechanical room to bar) has just enough interference from my electrical wires in the ceiling or wall that my connection is being impacted?
    -Did/does terminating my CAT5e cables using the T568A standard make an impact?
    -Should I re-check my RJ45 punch downs I did to make sure they are all secure? (wouldn't it be an all or nothing from a connectivity perspective if one was indeed loose/not connected?)
    -Should I be using a punch down block/panel to join the two CAT 5e runs? (I seem to be well within standards for my run to not have to be using a punch down block/panel to connect the two runs)

Thank you all for reading my long winded post but I've reached the end of my troubleshooting I think (hope I've overlooked something). I just can't stomach running my XBox One with a resolution of 720p to get all the displays to work at once. That also goes for XFinity "HD" cable in 1080i mode. It just doesn't seem right. Ha. Of course my wife and 3 kids don't care but I know the real truth........ [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Pat

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Just because ethernet will work happily on either A or B wiring schemes it does not mean that other non-ethernet equipment will also be happy with the "wrong" terminations. If you re-terminate using the B scheme at least you can determine if that has any effect.

3. pjirele

pjirele
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must have read my mind neilball, just got back from Menards a few minutes ago and got some new RJ45 connectors to switch things to the B scheme. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and guessing there "might" be a reason that almost every single HDMI Extender Specification has "UTP cable termination follows the standard of IEEE-568B" in their specs. :) Thank you for the response.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We avoid the proprietary Single Cat5/6 extenders now and just use HDBaseT so much more reliable and trouble free.

As it looks like you are in the States, i dont know the Jtech range, do you have a link you could send.

5. pjirele

pjirele
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I only had one CAT5e to work with so this was my best option. Well, other than going wireless but I'm trying to avoid going that direction for now.

The product I purchased, which states it can support up to a 300ft CAT5e/6/7 run is Amazon.com: J-Tech Digital Hdmi Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7 (The Latest & The Best) Ver 1.3 Certified For Full Hd 1080P With Deep Color & Hd Audio And Max Bandwidth Of 10.2Gbps: Electronics

J-Tech Digital Hdmi Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7 (The Latest & The Best) Ver 1.3 Certified For Full Hd 1080P With Deep Color & Hd Audio And Max Bandwidth Of 10.2Gbps

Thanks again

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    HDBaseT is single Cat5/6 but the only recognized standard for this by HDMI.org

Avoid wireless

7. pjirele

pjirele
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, thank you.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor