cannot get 360 to work with new tv via hdmi

Tinderbox (UK)

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an LG PK590 an 1080p plasma tv with freeview hd, I have only had it three days , I cannot get my jasper Xbox 360 to work, latest software on xbox and Tv, I just get a no signal message on all four hdmi ports that work fine with my Panasonic blu-ray and humax hd prv, I have 3 brands of hdmi cables , hdmi 1.3 and some new hdmi 1.4 high speed with lan.

I have an 19" LG TV with a single hdmi and it work fine with my Xbox 360, I have been going though all the hdmi setting and resolution on my 19" LG and then connecting my Xbox to 50" Plasma and nothing, I only get NO SIGNAL not a flicker.

I have tried the holding the Y button and right trigger on xbox boot, but still nothing, still no signal.

Also i have spent hours searching, and tried many fixes, but all i can think is that there is some type of handshake problem.

I have just ordered a component cable, as it seems it`s the only way i will be able to get hd on my LG PK590.

I have set my PK590 to factory defaults and also the Xbox 360 the same.

I am not happy. :( :(

I can't help you, but there is quite a large thread dedicated to that TV in the LG forum on here. Perhaps you'll have more luck asking there, as people that own one can answer. You've already tried everything that I would have suggested.

You're not Hot swapping the leads are you ? Make sure you power everything down

No they're not, power everything down, as Joe says avoid where possible

have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV ?

I have tried all four hdmi ports, still nothing, but no signal with the 360 , every other hdmi device i have works fine.

No they're not, power everything down, as Joe says avoid where possible

have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV ?

I've got the same problem with my 42LG5010 LCD. My Xbox has never worked via HDMI on this tv. From what research I've done personally, I have found out that there are ALOT of LG tv's that have a known issue with the Xbox 360. They do not 'handshake' correctly, so I'm afraid that component cables are going to be the solution for you. The odd thing is that some LG tv's (as you've explained) do work with HDMI....

It is weird, good thing is tho that plasma's handle component wonderfully so he'll be just as happy. My old Sony Plasma (was in older Top Gear shows, KE32TS2E silver, Gits copied me :D) was fantastic with component, Certainly gave as good if not better than my Toshiba LCD does with HDMI now.

I wouldn't worry about it, annoying yes but will be almost as good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I read component can do 720p and 1080i , and as far as i know the 360 games are 720p?

I found a newer firmware on the lg site, even though my tv said i had the latest version, i was hopeful until i flashed it and reset my tv to factory default, but after another hour of changing the 360 hdmi setting on my 19" lg and then connecting to my new 50" lg , I still get no signal message, I am counting the days till i get my component cable.

Thanks for all help.

John.

Just stick to the component cable, less hassle. I've had the same problem from day one with a Sony Bravia 32" LCD. My Xbox 360 never worked on HDMI even though everything else HDMI connected works fine. Have tried it on Samsungs,even a cheap branded LCD from Sainsburys and no problems. Have never worked it out!

And its not just LG either. My Panny worked fine with my xbox for years. I moved the xbox to the oher side of the room and HDMI stopped working! Works perfectly on 2 other TVs so is probably a handshake issue too. Swiched to VGA and no problem. (just as good a picture too IMO).

Hope the cable comes quick!!

I got my component cable the other day, £2.83 delivered on ebay, cannot be bad, and it works great, I have been wondering if one of the 360 update`s had caused this problem, I don't remember this auto detect display settings option, is it new? , I have tried it with it enable/disabled and it makes no difference.

Thanks for all the help guys.

John.

I believe the auto dectect feature is new to the recent update. Never seen it before. I tried enabled and disabled, still didn't make a difference.:confused:

One step forward two steps back.

Hdmi came out in 2003 , eight years later they manufactures still cannot get it right.

At the start of this thread a few member warned me to turn off devices before plugging/un-plugging cables, but the hdmi specification says it`s hot pluggable, so what is right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I believe the auto dectect feature is new to the recent update. Never seen it before. I tried enabled and disabled, still didn't make a difference.:confused:

Last edited:
Who knows! Basically if your TV and Xbox don't "handshake" correctly then forget it. I've given up. Tried everything, even gone into the TV service menu and reset the TV to no avail. IMHO component leads give just as good picture as HDMI leads do and less hassle.:D

I received my component lead the other day and it appears to work great, though i haven't used it much as i am still in my plasma burn-in period.

So i still do not know who to blame, though i am leaning towards Microsoft as i read of a lot of people with Panasonic, Samsung and LG and others brands of TV, that are having problems also.

Thanks for all the help.

John.

BrutalUK said:

Auto detect has been there for ages, I'm sure it was added when HDMI was added to the 360.

I'm not sure why some models of tv seem to suffer this problem? Its just as common with PS3's too. My brother in law has an LG and hdmi works fine on his 360 with that. Have you tried contacting LG about it or maybe exchanging it for another one?

I have two samsung lcd's that I use and have had 3 separate 360's on them all with no HDMI problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I read component can do 720p and 1080i , and as far as i know the 360 games are 720p?

PHP:

I'm not sure what the official spec says, but my tv tells me that it has a 1080p input when I use my 360 with the component cable. I've got my Sky HD set to 720p, and the tv is correct at telling me that when I swap to the sky HDMI.

Does my tv lie when it tells me that it has a 1080p signal coming in from my xbox component, or does the component actually send a 1080p signal?

Yeah, now i have my component cable, my Xbox 360 menu gives me an 1080p options as well, There is a list of 360 games and there resolution and 99% are 720p or lower "Halo for one", only a couple are 1080p.

John.

Component can DO 1080p, but IIRC most TVs dont support it, due to lack of AACS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom