1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by VORD, May 22, 2005.

1. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I have been having this problem quite a lot recently on Internet explorer. I have tried using Mozilla also and having the same problem (although mozilla call this error 'the connection was refused').

Alot of people say the error is down to ISP's. This is NOT the problem with me. I am on a University LAN and others on the same LAN are not having these problems. Therefore the problem must be on my computer.

I generally find that this error comes up alot when searching google and clicking on sponsored links.

I have tried every antivirus and spyware program out there with no result. I have also tried several registry mechanics to no avail.

I would reinstall windows XP but have lost the disc.

I would be grateful if anyone could assist me with resolving this problem.

Thanks.

2. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure if it will help, but worth a try:
    Go to control panel/add-remove programs
    Click on remove explorer, and it should give you the option to select 'repair'.

Good luck,

Dean.

3. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Intermitant problems like this are rarely down to the local software or hardware. It could be a hardware fault with your network card. If an icon for it doesn't appear in your lower right system tray then go to the card properties and select the option so it appears in the notification area, then keep an eye on the icon. It will change if the physical connection is ever broken

It could also be your network cable or the port that you are plugged into. This is a more likely cause and often gives the kind of loss of connectivity you are getting