CAnnot dupe to hard disc at high speed.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Painter, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Painter

Painter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The machine: Panosonic DMR-E100H. The problem? Having recorded several films to the Hard Disc, I follow the "Dubbing" precedure to dupe 2 films, of 53 minutes duration (so 106 minutes max), to a dvd-r disc at high-speed. Having selected "Start Dubbing" the following message appears 'Not enough space on the disc or the card'.

The films were recorded to HD at SP (2 hour speed).
    The setting "DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode" was set to 'On' prior to recording said titles.

Panosonic are adamant that the fault lies with the make of disc I use (RiDisc and/or Datawrite Classic) both of which work perfectly well with my Pano DMR-E50 model!

Anyone offer a solution?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    It probably is the disks - if they are 1x speed media then high speed dubbing (which requires disks that are 2x speed or greater) will not work. Your E50 doesn't use high speed functions of the disks and would work. Likewise you should be able to do a realtime dub on your E100...

3. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that High-speed dubbing on my E100 worked fine with the last remaining batch of 1X discs I had back at the end of last year. I’ve used only 4X discs since then so I can't remember 100%. I'll check and find out. I can't see any reason why 1X discs shouldn't work. Although High-speed dubbing means copying a programme losslessly it is not always dubbed faster than realtime (ie. when you transfer XP). Therefore that doesn't mean it can only be performed with discs which are 2X or more.

4. Painter

Painter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, forgot to mention that the dvd-r discs are 4X, as against 1X.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    It may well have done. But not all media is created equally and in many instances cheap media may not be able to be written to at a higher speed than what it was designed for.

What brand of media are you using? It could just be a compatibility issue...

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s certainly true as not all media can be ‘overclocked’ (and I personally wouldn’t recommend you try it, anyway, unless the manufacturer condones it). Besides, surely this only applies to recordings on drives?

However that’s not what I was referring to since you previously said:

But this statement isn’t correct (on the E100 at least) since high-speed dubbing to 1x speed media occurs successfully at 1x speed. The E100 does not try to write 1x discs at 2x.

Remember, Panasonic’s term “High-speed dubbing” does not refer to writing faster than 9.8Mbps (=1x speed), it refers to losslessly copying a video file which usually takes less time than if you dubbed it in realtime. But as I pointed out earlier, if you ‘high’-speed dub a programme recorded in XP then it will take the same time as it would have done if you had played/dubbed it in realtime to a 1x disc. So Panasonic’s terminology is a bit of a misnomer for 1x discs as it only applies to SP and below.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Fair point OARDVD - I was thinking of E85/E95 as opposed to the E100 - I forgot the E100 doesn't have true high speed dubbing.

8. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m not sure what you mean by ‘True’ high speed dubbing Rasczak. If you mean greater than 9.8Mbps then the E100 will also perform true high speed dubbing (at 4x speed) to 4x DVD-R discs, the same as the E85 & 95.

Painter, I agree with Rasczak, I think there may be a compatibility problem. I see you’re using RiDisc and/or Datawrite Classic. Try one from other manufacturers (eg. Tayo yuden, TDK, Maxell, Verbatim, Panasonic, etc.). Discs labelled as being made by manufacturer ‘A’ are often made by manufacturer ‘B’. This can vary over time, too, with even with the "same" brand of disc changing its source from month to month. Also, there are different grades of disc (ie. manufacturing quality). The best thing is to look up a disc’s manufacturing code using a tool like DVD Info. I tend to buy discs from well known Japanese ‘labels’ and have had very few failures out of over hundreds.

9. Painter

Painter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oardvd and Rasczak. Have to say, it's darned frustrating. Will try a different make of disc and post the result. Thanks for your advice.

10. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another explanation is that you recorded one or both of the films in 'XP' Mode, not 'SP' Mode as you believed, which would make them too big too fit on the disc. When you select the films for dubbing, does it tell you the total capacity in megabytes of the two films (it does on the E85 Recorder)? If the combined size of the films is showing as being over 4100MB then at least one of the films was recorded in 'XP' Mode. This being the case, you'll need to dub in them 'FR' Mode to fit them on the disc.

11. Painter

Painter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jesmat2003, you cracked the 'problem' in one. I did indeed record 1 film in 'XP' Mode and the other in 'SP' mode (can't think why, but it's easily done!) Lesson learned. Will re-dub both titles and post the result.