1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Download Movie From Camcorder To Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dez, Sep 26, 2004.

1. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys can anyone help i have been trying to dowload movies from my sony dcr-ip7e camcorder onto windows movie maker or sony vegas 5 unfortunately the video can not be captured from the camera.However i can download using sony movie shaker and do editing (software supplied with camera at purchase). I have been using the I-LINK cable or the usb 2 cable which seems to work only with sony software which was supplied with the camera. So guys how can i download my videos from my sony micromv to the computer using windows movie editor????? help?????? thanks

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'd be better off asking in the camcorder section;)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Or ask a nice mode to move it there, we wouldn’t want duplicate threads would we. :laugh: :hiya:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    AFAIK the supplied Sony software is only for transfer of still images or low quality web cam video and only via USB. USB is not good enough for transfer of full quality video. You say you have tried the 'Ilink or USB cable'. Are these 2 different cables or are you getting confused and think that they are both the same thing?
    To get full quality video from your camcorder onto a PC you need to connect a firewire cable between the cam & PC. To do this you will obviously need a firewire, aka iLink, ieee1394, DV port on your PC - Do you have firewire on the PC?
    MS Movie Maker is a great starting point for editing but a bit basic and will AFAIK only capture via firewire. Sony Vegas software is very powerful semipro editing software, and therefore IMHO a little too much for a beginner. I think you will be better sticking to MM for now.

Mark.

5. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Mark
    i do have the firewire on my pc ieeee1394 and the camcorder comes with the firewire cable but still windows movie maker says check if the device is connected as of the usb it only for dowloading still images from the memory card (also tried to download patches from the sony website in the hope it would help to no help) . I also agree that with the sony movie maker there are so many limitations when editing and the video quality is poor---still the question is i cant capture anything from my dcr-ip7e to movie maker what else do i have to do???? or is it that there is a problem with compatibility???

thanks Mark i do appreciate your help

des

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checking the basics dez - is your camcorder switched to 'VCR' mode - that is the mode you use to view your pictures on the TV. or LED screen.

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are running XP ensure you have Service Pack 1 installed. Had problem on my PC where Digcam was not picked up on firewire.

Tried everything until I found a post stating installing the SP. DId this & bingo, camera picked up.

8. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys

managed to speak to sony this afternoon they tell me that when they manufactured the camera dcr-ip7e it was meant to use sony movie shaker only. which explains why it could be picked up with movie maker they also went on to say the microMV IS NOT COMPATIBLE with windows movie maker. I have also checked in the digital video magazine issue 18 it informs me that pinnacle studio 9 or videostudio 7 is compatible with the micromv format.
    dez

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Ah, MicroMV - that explains a lot. Yes most of the newest versions of the editing packages should work with MicroMV, but a lot of the very basic ones wont.
    Studio 9 & Videostudio 7 can be downloaded from the relevant web sites for a free 30 day trial. Try them both and see which you prefer.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Mark.

10. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mark

i downloaded the pinnacle studio 9 free trial software i am pleased with the results so far ----thanks a lot guys --oh i also managed to burn my movie onto dvd just the trial one i guess whats left is to try the other compatible software.

des

11. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey can anyone help how do i delete scenes from the capture window of pinnacle studio 9 i have managed to make a sample movie, but when i open my trial software the scenes i have recorded remain in the window. i have deleted them from my folders??? . thanks for your help

des

12. dez

dez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you think of this camcorder guys panasonic VDR-M70 thanks for your opinions

13. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to use Microsoft Movie Maker, get a proper program and you'll benefit greatly.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I disagree!
    To me MM is too basic and can't do what I require, but for somebody who is new to NLE it is a great starting point and with the huge advantage that it is free. Many people will eventually outgrow it and will then have a bit of experience to fall back on when deciding on which editing package to spend some money on. Until then MM is good enough and is very easy to learn.
    Why try running before you can walk?

Mark.