Cannot delete channels from a JVC Android TV

samop

Hi

On my JVC Android TV I can delete channels so that you can't "jump" directly to them using the remote, however if you open up the guide and step through the channels all of them, including ones deleted, are still there and accessible.

This means for example that you cannot prevent kids from acessing adult content.

Anayone else seen this or am I missing something (although I'm sure I'm not)

mikej

Different manufacturers handle this in different ways, in my experience. Some allow you to delete channels so they disappear completely, whereas others allow you to hide them but sometimes, even when hidden, they can still be visible depending on how you access them (EPG, Now and Next, direct number button entry).

Most TVs I've owned have featured some kind of parental control - this is normally done by 'locking' individual channels with a pin number, so you could check your menus for this option as an alternative... and make sure you change the default pin which is often 0000 and therefore easy to guess !

samop

Thanks...

Tried that and it doesn't work. I've set the parental control on and blocked some channels but you can still "walk" to them by stepping up through the Programme Guide.

I've sent an email to JVC customer support and will see what they say. It appears though that this facility is broken.

mikej

I was going to suggest that you could do a manual tune and simply avoid tuning in to the mux(es) that those channels are broadcast on but as these appear to be COM5 and COM6, you would also lose access to around 30-odd other TV channels and a load of radio stations so this obviously isn't a great work-around.

If deleting them doesn't remove them from the EPG, then I doubt there will be anything you can do about it but if the TV is fairly new, then you might have good grounds for returning it on this basis (as it's clearly a bug or oversight) and swap it for one that doesn't behave in this illogical way.

JVC TVs are made by a company called Vestel these days and support (as you've probably already found) is provided by Currys.

gl20622

Novice Member
This behaviour is a recent 'upgrade' to the EPG. I've had a JVC Android model since Feb 2021 and this behaviour never used to happen - but it does since a few weeks ago and it's really annoying (and concerning, if you want to keep unsuitable content out of easy reach of teenagers). I tried Curry's but they were no help - they said my TV is out of the guaranteed refund period but still in manufacturer's warranty if it's 'developed a fault': I'm sure JVC will claim this this isn't a 'fault' but they need to be told it's a shoddy upgrade. D'you have a contact address for JVC because I can't find one and Curry's couldn't give me one.. thanks

mikej

This behaviour is a recent 'upgrade' to the EPG. I've had a JVC Android model since Feb 2021 and this behaviour never used to happen - but it does since a few weeks ago and it's really annoying (and concerning, if you want to keep unsuitable content out of easy reach of teenagers). I tried Curry's but they were no help - they said my TV is out of the guaranteed refund period but still in manufacturer's warranty if it's 'developed a fault': I'm sure JVC will claim this this isn't a 'fault' but they need to be told it's a shoddy upgrade. D'you have a contact address for JVC because I can't find one and Curry's couldn't give me one.. thanks
JVC have nothing to do with their TVs any more - as far as TVs go, the JVC brand name has been bought by Currys and the TVs are made by a company called Vestel in Turkey.

The JVC TV site directs people towards Currys in the event of any support issues or complaints. There's an email address, phone number and postal address listed on that page if you want to pursue this but, as annoying as the issue is, I suspect it won't be worth your time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom