Cannot choose which channel is sent out via AV1 ?

H

hypersonic

Hi all.

During the Obama Inaugruation, I wanted to record the occasion so that my wife could watch it later on once she got home..

I have the ariel connection straight into my 42LG7000 & it is FULLY tuned with 5 analogue channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 C5), Loads of digital channels, & numerous DAB radio stations.

When selecting to view AV1 from the 'input' button, it duely shows the menu screen from my HDD/DVD recorder PLAYER combo on the TV. (My external device connected to AV1) (The scart IS two way, thus sending a signal out (to record?) & also RECEIVING the image back, so that you can watch it ... a DVD for example.

Indeed when monitoring in the record/pause screen, I AM seeing the channel that the tele is pushing out through AV1 to my external machine, so that it can record it.

Now here's the prob.
The external device is a record/playback device only, totally at the mercy of what the AV /scart sends/recieves & has NOTHING to do with the choice of channel to watch/ record via it.

Therefore how the heck DO you choose the channel sent out from the TV TO BE recorded!??
The channel that WAS being sent out was Analogue channel 1 - in this case BBC1 ... but there was NO way to change that channel to BBC2, ITV & so on... Let alone any of the digital channels. - And YES i WAS able to record it & thank goodness BBC1 were broadcasting what i wanted to record.

But what if it had been on BBC2 ? - There was NO aparrent way to tell the TV to send BBC2 out of the AV1 as opposed to BBC1 that was their by default!?

Seems a crazy oversight to NOT allow the user to select which channel is sent out the AV connection, as this almost defeats the Purpose of having an ariel connection on the tele, if LG completly blocks the means to choose what can be recorded from what is received from the TV's ariel socket.

The ability to record freeview channels etc is not illegal per-se especially for personal use... Thats why we've had VHS's for decades & now HDD & DVD recorders (like i have)

Before you ask "what aren't you connecting your ariel via the HDD/DVD recorder?" - The answer is that it is analogue only. And even if i did, it would defeat the purpose of a TV with an Analogue/digital tuner built in!?

The issue here is WHY a user can't seem to choose what channel is sent out of the AV1 for recording via SCART.

Perhaps someone can also try this to confirm if this is an issue, or me being stupid, in which case HOW do i do it?

Any Ideas?
Cheers

The issue here is WHY a user can't seem to choose what channel is sent out of the AV1 for recording via SCART.

Perhaps someone can also try this to confirm if this is an issue, or me being stupid, in which case HOW do i do it?

Any Ideas?
Cheers

There is no dual (DTV) tuner on the LG range of TV's (along with most other manufacturers...) therefore the TV will only 'send out' the channel that you are watching at that time. sometimes the SCART(s) on the DVD recorder may need to be 'told' what they need to be doing (outputting the DVD or inputting a signal from a TV)

There is no dual (DTV) tuner on the LG range of TV's (along with most other manufacturers...) therefore the TV will only 'send out' the channel that you are watching at that time. sometimes the SCART(s) on the DVD recorder may need to be 'told' what they need to be doing (outputting the DVD or inputting a signal from a TV)

Hi,
But that's the point... the TV DOESN'T send the channel you were watching last out to the AV .. if it did, there wouldn't be a problem as that would be a work around at least.

For example, i could be watching channel 80 which is digital, flip to AV1 - & the signal being received by the external device via the AV Scart, is analogue channel 1 - (BBC1) with NO way of changing it.

Go back to 'antenna', change to analogue channel 2 (BBC2) for example.
Then flip back to the AV ... is it BBC2 showing? NO! it's analogue BBC1 still! - What to do!? :confused:

Go back to 'antenna', change to analogue channel 2 (BBC2) for example.
Then flip back to the AV ... is it BBC2 showing? NO! it's analogue BBC1 still! - What to do!? :confused:

I see!!... weird!... that's not good! i'm quite sure you're NOT in the minority for wanting to use the SCART as an output from the freeview tuner. Does the same thing happen using DTV? can you go to the EPG and set a 'reminder' to change the channel? I know that one or two of the older LG TV's did this.... (although they even had DTV OUT wriiten on the back of one of the SCARTS.)

Hi all.

When selecting to view AV1 from the 'input' button, it duely shows the menu screen from my HDD/DVD recorder PLAYER combo on the TV. (My external device connected to AV1) (The scart IS two way, thus sending a signal out (to record?) & also RECEIVING the image back, so that you can watch it ... a DVD for example.

Cheers

I agree this is a very weird issue, unfortunately I have no way of testing it.
I can only postulate that the TV is limited to only outputting the analogue or DTV tuner on the SCART for copy protection reasons. So when you are watching TV it works fine and will output the channel you are watching, however when you navigate away from the analogue tuner onto the AV signal, which might contain a copy protected DVD for example, perhaps the TV panics and defaults back to Analogue Tuner Channel 1 for the output.

Try going to BBC1, start your recorder recording then stay in the analogue tuner and change channels between BBC1, 2, ITV, C4. Then stop the recording and playback what you got. See if these channel changes get recorded. I should imagine they will.

There is only a one tuner in the TV, if you are watching BBC2 on the screen from the tuner (NOT the loopback), this is the only thing that CAN be recorded.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom