Cannot change volume of a DVD Movie in Media Centre

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by gphillips, May 7, 2007.

1. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I've got an issue with Vista Ultimate when playing a DVD movie in Media Centre. I cannot change the volume!

My mainboard is an A-open and I am using the SPDIFF output into a Sony 5.1 system. When I alter the volume within Media Centre the blue box appears in the top right corner of the screen and the volume output via my Sony system changes as I would expect - Except when playing a DVD... THe volume doesnt change regardless of if the on screen level is 0 or full?

Can anybody help?

2. craigbeat

craigbeat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get the same issue with my Aopen too - it happens when my amp switches to DTS or Dolby Digital (I connect through SPDIF). I'm not sure how to get round it really - I just map my remote to control my amp instead...

3. jakey

jakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I was puzzled by this also, this is a quote from PowerDVD help file

IMO this applies equally to any application which is sending the digital signal over SPDIF, it now seems logical to me that if you hand over control of the SPDIF volume to the PC then it would mean interfering with that signal in some way which is a big no no, the object of the exercise is to get the signal to the amp as pure as possible. So IMO this is how it should be, volume can only be adjusted AFTER it has been processed/decoded and that has to be done by the amp, not the PC.

That's my take on it anyway :eek: