Cannot capture to D: HDD

M

Mike Swannick

I'm using Vegas 4.0 installed on C:
I've followed advice and installed a 120Gb HDD (D: ) purely for capture.
JVC camcorder connected via firewire.
Vegas will capture to C: with no problems.
Vegas will not capture to D:\specified folder, although it goes through all the motions.
MovieMaker will capture wherever you point it.

Stuck.:rolleyes:

Try

File>Capture Video

In the capture window with "Capture" tab displayed go

Options>Preferences

Go to "Disk Management tab"

Make sure the path you want to capture to is highlighted (ticked). If not click on "Add folder" & navigate to it.

I tried that (and other options) when I set up the program after installing it. The cam worked but no capture. After a little more fiddling it will capture to d:\folder, but only after a restart. The problem now is that it will start to capture then stop in what appears to be any old arbitrary place. Sometimes it will do 20+ mins sometimes it do only 1min before the review image freezes and the available space value stops ticking down. The play and capture figures still continue. It will only start to capture again correctly after a full PC restart.

I'm starting to suspect something like an obscure buffer setting or even a temperature issue.

Sorry to hear that.

I've never had any problems with it. Do you have continuous timecode (record start to finish over new tapes with lens cap on before doing actual filming with tape). Just a thought, may help if you don't.

I'd advise against the previous post. It's a waste of time striping tapes when you use them in a camcorder because it works in assemble mode completely rewriting the control and timecode track.Also it will cause early failure of the tape and the and camera mechanism which are both very fragile in the MiniDV format.

Some users may get resets in the timecode on their rushes. This occurs when the camera loses power, or if you view the footage back during a filming session. The easy thing to do is to use the 'end search' button to cue up to the end of the tape. or at least leave the tape cued over footage before you start to record again.

I'm a Pro, believe me...don't do it ;-)

Thanks for the replies folks. I've now managed to capture 3 hours worth of Florida 2001, even if it did take about 15 goes.

I'm sure the editing Q's will follow shortly.

My problem is that my imagination is bigger than either the software, or my knowledge of the software. Still, it provides a stimulating environment to learn in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom