• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cannot boot from a cloned HD

RobJen

Novice Member
My Toshiba Satellite p50-c-18k has only a 250 GB SSD and I've been running out of space. I bought a Kingston 480GB SSD and, using Acronis 2020 under Windows 10, cloned the internal disk to the new one in an enclosure. The program said that the GPT would be intact. However, just at the end it mentioned MBR and synchronising with the operating system. In Disk Management I looked at the structure of the SSD in the enclosure and it says GPT. I inserted the new SSD into the Toshiba, but it won't boot. I'm pretty sure I have to make changes to the BIOS but exactly what? The UEFI option is greyed, so in order to change it, I'll have to change something else first. But why should I want to, if the GPT structure is intact? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Bolosun

I did the same thing for my wife's laptop. I cloned the drive in my pc and fitted the new one to the laptop and it booted straight up. I would reformat the drive and clone it again. You shouldn't need to do anything to the bios.

DavidG1

I would wipe the new drive completely, but this time make a bootable Acronis USB and redo the clone using that

Last edited:

techquest

Use Macrium as it's a freebie, easy to use and damn good software.

Macrium Reflect Free

The reference to GPT is the type of drive you will set up. MBR is the old style but still used heavily, with limitations on partitions. GPT drives are dynamic and you can effectively create as many partitions on it you want within the physical dimension of the drive, i.e. 2 x 500GB or 4 x 250GB or 8 x 125GB if inclined etc...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom