Cannon 1100D Vs Nikon D3100 New to the SLR's

Hunter89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the SLR world and have been looking around And i have narrowed it down to 2. There are Cannon 1100D and the Nikon D3100 But i am not sure which is the best to go for i have been into local camera shop and felt them both but cannot make my mind up. Any help would be Good welcomed with any good Deal on theese Cameras.
Thanks
Hunter

Hi

I too had the same issue when I came to buy my first DSLR. Read far too many reviews on each one, got even more confused. Went into my local John Lewis to see and hold them, and again couldn't choose. Spoke to both the Canon and the Nikon rep, both agreed that there was very little between them in terms of it being an entry level DSLR. They did both agree that the Nikon had a better lens that came with camera, and luckily for me there was also a D3100 in a clearance open box section, reduced to £300. So I purchased it :). Have had it for two weeks now and am really enjoying having a good play with it. Also finding Nikons guide mode feature very useful.
Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Hi,
I am new to the SLR world and have been looking around And i have narrowed it down to 2. There are Cannon 1100D and the Nikon D3100 But i am not sure which is the best to go for i have been into local camera shop and felt them both but cannot make my mind up. Any help would be Good welcomed with any good Deal on theese Cameras.
Thanks
Hunter

I'd get the Canon 1100D, you will not need to worry about whether a lens has a auto-focus motor in it or not like you would if you bought the Nikon.

I'd get the Nikon

Obviously your choice, but I found the Nikon smaller and nicer to hold/focus, controls seemed to be in the logical places - I had a similar choice to you and seem to remember the Canon is a bit older and specifications are bit less/lower. I'm sure I will be immediately corrected, but I think the Nikon is a bit newer, more megapixels and better video. Although as already said, I sure both cameras are much better than most amateurs abilities :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=compare+nikon+d3100+canon+1100d

Obviously your choice, but I found the Nikon smaller and nicer to hold/focus, controls seemed to be in the logical places - I had a similar choice to you and seem to remember the Canon is a bit older and specifications are bit less/lower. I'm sure I will be immediately corrected, but I think the Nikon is a bit newer, more megapixels and better video. Although as already said, I sure both cameras are much better than most amateurs abilities :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=compare+nikon+d3100+canon+1100d

You are thinking of the 1000D.

Last edited:
Well i have been looking around the web once more and have found a good deal on the Nikon D5100 What are peoples veiws on this and if i was to up my budget to say £450 What would i be better off getting the 1100D/3100 with a lens or the D5100 Too mny choices lol

D5100 has a better sensor, better screen imo better camera worth it

...Rob's just letting you know that as soon as you give in to spec/budget creep then your doomed ;)

I am Really liking the look of the d5100 Gonna go and have a look tomorrow so how it holds etc :)

I am Really liking the look of the d5100 Gonna go and have a look tomorrow so how it holds etc :)

It is ~£170 over your initial budget.

It is ~£170 over your initial budget.
Change Of Plan as I forgot to add the Extras(case memory card etc ) and i think the Canon looks like the one for me. so the Only difference is the the lens is there much diffence between the 2 lens.

Ps: Sorry about all the noob question lol

Last edited:
Change Of Plan as I forgot to add the Extras(case memory card etc ) and i think the Canon looks like the one for me. so the Only difference is the the lens is there much diffence between the 2 lens.

Ps: Sorry about all the noob question lol

Yes, one has IS and the other doesn't. :D

Get the Canon with the IS lens. That simple.

Do you know anyone with a Canon or a Nikon already... ?
If so you may be able to borrow any lenses they have as you progress...
- just a thought, if there's not much between them...

I finally got my canon 1100d mange to get a deal with sd card and case what else would you recomend me getting to get Me started?

I finally got my canon 1100d mange to get a deal with sd card and case what else would you recomend me getting to get Me started?

Flash - and a tripod if you're into Landscapes :)

UV Filter will offer protection to the front lens element when not used with a lens hood - it won't otherwise do anything - though poor quality ones may degrade the image quality or be more susceptible to flare etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom