Cannibal Ferox (which version?)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by coolhand101, Dec 20, 2002.

1. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was searching for this dvd last month, future entertainment was doing this for £19.99. They also claimed twice on this site that the film was anamorphic. i should have done some deeper research because the film came this morning(20/12/02) and guess what its NOT anamorphic. the only company i know so far that does this film anamorphic are-

R0 (Germany) - Sazuma Productions
    American, German and Italian theatrical trailers
    Bonus trailer for "Argento's Tenebrae"
    Collectible booklet (containing production stills, cast and crew biographies and cast and crew filmographies)
    Dutch, English, Finnish, German and Swedish Subtitles
    1.66:1 anamorphic NTSC
    English Dolby Digital 1.0 format
    Amaray Case

and my edition-

R0 DC (America) - Grindhouse Releasing
    Audio commentary with director Umberto Lenzi and actor John Morghen
    American, German and Italian theatrical trailers
    Dozens of rare production stills
    Posters and publicity materials from around the world
    Liner notes from legendary Times Square historian Bill Landis
    On-camera interview with director Umberto Lenzi
    Cast and crew biographies
    Cast and crew filmographies
    1.85:1 non anamorphic NTSC
    English and Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 format
    Amaray Case
    Note - Easter Egg - Bring up the disc's main menu and from there go to the "Grindhouse Releasing" section. Once you get there, press the "left'" arrow button on your remote control and the "Banned In 31 Countries" circle will be highlighted. If you press "enter" now, you will have the chance to see an almost 5-minute segment about Grindhouse Releasing's "Cannibal Ferox Hollywood Premiere" on February 15, 1997 when they first re-introduced the film to American audiences.

ok more features but i got a widescreen tv and didnt want to lose more resolution by zooming(am i being to of a purist?)

anyway because of the false claim by FE can i demand a refund, ive read there terms but THEY stated misinformation.

so just incase you want to buy somethink from them, always do more research on the films details.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Coolhand,

Sorry to hear that the film wasn't 16:9 compatible.

However, I could have told you this info. Remember next time, if in doubt about something, post a query on this site, and you'll get experienced replies from a load of people. That way, you won't end-up wasting your money.

Oh, and bearing in mind the film was made in the late 1970's, and is a low-budget video nasty, it was unlikely to get a 16:9 release, unless someone was willing to pay huge sums of dosh to get a new master print struck.

Anyway, enjoy the film, but be warned - it's very, very nasty viewing! As an owner of this film, I kid you not, that it is probably the nastiest horror flick I've ever seen, bar the "Guinea Pig" series from Japan.

Pooch

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Is that the film when some people land on an island to find their friends, then find some cannibals had been at them and so on? If so, I vaguely remember it. A bloke eats somebody's guts to help ward off the baddies or something like that.........

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,836
    Cannibal Holocaust could be described as the Citizen Kane of cannibal movies but that makes Ferox the Battlefield Earth of cannibal flicks.
    Lenzi's Eaten Alive, throwaway pap that it is, is actually my favourite flesh munching film. I'd say it's the Saturday Night Fever of the cannibal movies. Whenever he discusses Cannibal Ferox, Lenzi's mouth always writes cheques the film can't cash. He's full of big claims about how shocking it is, but the fact of the matter is....it's crap. He's trying too hard, and those grey plasticine titties with the meat hooks through them just ain't makin' it.
    Props to Mr Radice (aka John Morghen) for slagging old Umberto down on the commentary. Lenzi made a hell of a lot better films than Ferox, it's just a shame that most people will probably never see them and have to form their opinions of his directing skills based on watching garbage like Cannibal Ferox. He made some excellent violent cop movies, some were Dirty Harry clones, but all had a great mix of gore, car chases, gratuitous nudity....
    Lenzi deserves to be remembered for classy stuff like The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist, Death Dealers, Tough Cop, and more recently Fear in the Dark (aka Hitcher in the Dark), rather than the garbage he's reknowned as being a hack for.

Grindhouse chose to use their existing (very grainy) laserdisc master for the DVD. I've never found it particularly distracting myself

5. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you saying that because the german trailer looks better than the GH movie, i know the german version is 1.66:1 anamorphic ntsc, and the GH release does improve after time.

i cant believe the quality of anchor bays ZOMBIE that really does need a anamorphic release( i did read that there be one soon)

So the GH release is there laser disk print, what site or forum do you find this info from?

thanks

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,836
    It was common knowledge when it got released and Grindhouse were pretty open about it.
    Splatterhouse.net was a good source for this kind of info before the site shut down, even so I'm sure the laserdisc master was mentioned in most of the reviews around the time of the disc's release (3 years ago now?)

7. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    NTSC Laser Disk.

This disk contains a 7inch vinal sound track of the film, and an original VOMIT bag (not including sick of course).

I bought mine 5 years ago, and Im always,always being asked to sell it at the film fairs i attend. I just LOVE saying NO, while showing people the 12 inch beauty.

Forget the DVD version, its WACK.

R.
    B-Boy Mass
    Birmingham