Candyman Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Great horror movie, and one I'll be happy to add to my collection. Always worth watching Virginia Madsen and Tony Todd - very underrated actors.

Funnily enough, I remember I saw this when it first came out - my cousin and I did a late night double header in the Odeon Swiss Cottage. Candyman followed by The Bad Lieutenant.

Many thanks for the review Simon :)

This is an absolute classic, Which I consider to be on the same level as films like The Thing.

So glad it has finally been shown the love it deserves :thumbsup:

Can't wait to finally watch the gorier UK theatrical cut. Was this quite recently added to this version, which may explain the drop in quality? (I. E. no time to restore it).

Can't wait to finally watch the gorier UK theatrical cut. Was this quite recently added to this version, which may explain the drop in quality? (I. E. no time to restore it).

They sourced the footage from a 35mm release print IIRC. So whilst it's been cleaned up and the footage has been inserted into the film I'm not sure how much "restoring" you can do as a theatrical print is already at least a 3rd generation source from the OCN so certain things will be baked into the image already. Even still it's nice to have the footage for completion purposes even if it is supposedly just 14 or so seconds of extra gore. I trust Arrow will have handled its inclusion well anyway.

The uncut version still uses the 4K master it just has the extra footage from the theatrical print so the quality drop is pretty minimal. Its only about 6 secs.

The workprint has even more violence but thats only available from a vhs source.

I've finally added this, courtesy of eBay; it sits alongside The Thing Blu-ray Review as an absolute classic. I can't wait to watch this tonight

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom