Candidates to replace squeezebox duet

cheechy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally come to the conclusion that the lack of reliable / proper support for spotify means I now need to look at alternatives to the squeezebox duet. It's annoying to a degree in that it works well for me in terms of streaming local content from my nas in fairly high quality over the network so really need to keep this. Support for flac is a definite!

So what is there that can do what the squeezebox can do, is currently supported and that works with streaming services such as spotify or napster?

Thanks

Unfortunately, unless the streamer manufacturer has done a deal with the streaming service, you'll be hard pushed to get direct access from the device. Also, just because one of their devices supports a particular service in one region, don't expect it to support that service elsewhere, eg latest Denon mini system streamer DNP-F109 supports Spotify in Australia, but not in Europe. The Sonos Connect is probably your best bet.

However, have you considered just keeping the Duet and streaming the service indirectly from sound capturing a pc playing the service? You should be able to stream any sound produced by the pc to the Logitech Media Server, via internet radio. Something like the free Stream What You Here (SWYH) UPnP server will capture the sound of a Windows computer and send it as an mp3 file or a wav via an http stream over the network, ready for LMS to pick up as an internet radio station.

Yup ok doing some searching and it seems spotify have possibly clamped down on this to a degree, but more complicated for me considering nas is ubuntu not windows.

I could potentially install spotify on the nas but tbh I'm not sure if that will give me anything.

Technology going backwards rather than forwards here? Do I have to contemplate a wifi receiver of some sort in conjunction with squeezebox, Bluetooth range not good enough.

Thought this would be simple :)

From your first post, I'd assumed that support for Spotify via LMS to the Duet was poor or non-existent. However, a quick search on the logitech forums shows some recent posts mentioning an LMS third party Spotify plugin by Triode. Have you tried using this plugin?

From your first post, I'd assumed that support for Spotify via LMS to the Duet was poor or non-existent. However, a quick search on the logitech forums shows some recent posts mentioning an LMS third party Spotify plugin by Triode. Have you tried using this plugin?

Even if it worked with a non intel / arm CPU I'm told that even triode has stopped working. I've got a AMD based micro server so it crashes out :-(

2nd hand Sonos ZP80 would do the biz.

Assuming the preamp is a bit like the squeezebox duet player but will allow you to connect other devices to it? Hard to tell!
Yeah the HEOS link will allow you to connect into your existing system and then has line inputs, USB and optical for other devices.

You can currently use Spotify with your Duet using the Triode plugin as already mentioned. We are Napster users and can confirm it works flawlessly (without need for any 3rd party plugin) with our Squeezebox family which includes a Duet.

You can currently use Spotify with your Duet using the Triode plugin as already mentioned. We are Napster users and can confirm it works flawlessly (without need for any 3rd party plugin) with our Squeezebox family which includes a Duet.

Yup but doesn't work when you have an AMD based nas!

Yep me too (HP Microserver) but I didn't like Spotify much even when running LMS with Triode on my PC (worse with native LMS version).

IMO both Napster and Deezer are superior to Spotify.

Have you looked at Qobus as an alternative to Spotify? Works a treat with Squeesebox and provides FLAC support?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom