• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

cancelling sky-hd

al5000

Established Member
Hi..does this look right to you,well i'm trying to cancel my sky subscription,because i'm having some, family, finacial problems at the moment.so i'm finding payments hard to meet.i've emailed sky customer service dept,and had this reply.

Thank you for your email regarding the cancellation of your account.

The terms and conditions of your digital subscription contract require a minimum subscription period of twelve months, at which time, cancellation will be accepted with one month's notice.

Under the terms of the free minidish and digibox offer if you cancel your subscription before the minimum period expires, you can be charged the cost of providing your digital satellite system of up to 80.00 (GBP). Also, under the terms of the installation offer you took up you can be charged the difference between what you paid for standard installation of your digital satellite system and our full standard installation charge of 120.00 (GBP).

Our records show that there is a remaining ten months until the end of the minimum term. Should you still wish to cancel your digital subscription account at this time, please contact us again and we will process your request.

In the meantime, you may wish to amend your viewing option to a lesser package which can be arranged by contacting our customer service department on 08702 40 40 40.

Yours sincerely

Lorraine Gilfether
Customer Zone

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Sounds right to me - I would contact the number they suggest and explain you are cancelling and they may well offer you a number of months at a reduced price - or even for free. Give it a whirl. The terms and conditions are fairly standard and are non negotiable so I would take a lesser package or try to get a freebie. Good luck with this and your overall financial position.

Tony Hoyle

Prominent Member
If you went to the minimal package with no Sky+ you'd have £15 for 2 mixes + your £10/month HD sub (which you're contracted to 12 months for).

So in theory the minimum for you is £25/month.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Not sure myself on all the exact pricing. Don't wish to sound repetitive but give them a ring and find out ....... you get what you ask for..... good luck!

pnangna

Established Member
al5000 said:
fair enough,but how much would the lesser package cost,cant find any details on sky's web page about pricing.

£21.00 for the family pack no HD no sky+ and obviously no movies or sports although im not sure if youre tied into paying the HD sub for 12 months.

MetalOllie

Established Member
Are we definately talking about Sky HD? I thought there were no offers for free boxes on HD yet, in which case, there could well be a loophole there somewhere... :confused:

pnangna

Established Member
ollie501 said:
Are we definately talking about Sky HD? I thought there were no offers for free boxes on HD yet, in which case, there could well be a loophole there somewhere... :confused:

Are you referring to my post as i didnt say anything about free box

MetalOllie

Established Member
pnangna said:
Are you referring to my post as i didnt say anything about free box
Yes..I was referring to this statement in the letter from Sky...
al5000 said:
Under the terms of the free minidish and digibox offer if you cancel your subscription before the minimum period expires, you can be charged the cost of providing your digital satellite system of up to 80.00 (GBP). Also, under the terms of the installation offer you took up you can be charged the difference between what you paid for standard installation of your digital satellite system and our full standard installation charge of 120.00 (GBP).
Granted, most of Sky's letters are vague at best, but "free minidish and digibox offer" was the bit which implied a free box. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

MetalOllie

Established Member
pnangna said:
The Sky HD box is not free no it costs £299.99 with subscription
I know that... that's why $ky's statement of "Under the terms of the free minidish and digibox offer if you cancel your subscription" in their letter, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. It sounds as if they are attempting to charge you for something you have already paid for.

neilmcl

Prominent Member
ollie501 said:
I know that... that's why $ky's statement of "Under the terms of the free minidish and digibox offer if you cancel your subscription" in their letter, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. It sounds as if they are attempting to charge you for something you have already paid for.
He would have paid £299 is for the box only. If it was a new install he would have got the sky minidish, LNB, cables etc plus installation free which he'd be require to pay for in full if he decides to cancel before the minimum term, so the T&Cs are still relevant, with the exception of the free digibox.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom