Cancelling SKY HD

Reaction score
I just rang Sky, to cancel my account beacuse the half price package I had is coming to the end of its term. The guy on the end of the phone was useless he just literally said "Thats cancelled for you", no questions or offers made. Total joke.

That's kind of up to Sky really and their approach will vary depending on who you get to speak to. They're not obliged to offer you anything. It's always a risk if you say "cancel" that they'll just do it! Try calling them back saying you've changed your mind, and asking what offers they can do for you.

I'm sure there will be a call back within the month but you've got to love the idea that when SKY do exactly what the caller wants without any hard sell or awkwardness they still generate bad blood:)

As we know the retention budget is not finite and it's allocation limits what each CS rep can offer and when they can offer it, if SKY gave everyone a deal that rang to cancel they would be out of business very quickly.

I wasn't hoping for a deal on the package, but would have at least expect them to ask me question like why, considerng I have been a customer of theirs for a years now always on the top plan with HD etc......

I'm sure there will be a call back within the month but you've got to love the idea that when SKY do exactly what the caller wants without any hard sell or awkwardness they still generate bad blood:)

As we know the retention budget is not finite and it's allocation limits what each CS rep can offer and when they can offer it, if SKY gave everyone a deal that rang to cancel they would be out of business very quickly.

I totally agree with you, BUT it would have been nice to been asked a few questions to make me feel like a wanted customer. They always come and me with free broadband and line rental, which I already get free from my work.

Maybe he's had a very long day.

I do these things in writing.
E-mailed to downgrade, got one back saying they wanted to call me back and discuss details, e-mailed back saying no just do the downgrade, got one back saying they were doing it.

it's possible they may have a rule which states you can't stack an offer after an existing one or something? personally I'd say good on the guy. Millions of people pay the full and correct price for their Sky, why should Sky give you a discount?

was with sky for 15 years (always on the top package) and got sick of seeing new customers getting better deals than the people that had been with them for years (like myself). So i cancelled and a month later they offered me half price for 6 months, i also refused that, then a little later they offered the same deal , but this time for a year, so i resigned with them. It worked for me.

I think you should've said 'im thinking of leaving because im paying over my budget, however if you are able to offer me a better deal i may consider staying', but now that its done just either wait for them to give YOU a call back or use: Sky Customer Reinstate
I was on the 12 months half price (world package) and when i rang up 31 days before the contract ended, i was offered 6 months half price straight away, but they said they couldnt put on another offer on the account as there was already one on it. I was explained if i rang up on the day the contract ended they should be able to offer me 6 months half price unless the offers changed (which i was told is very unlikly...)

I think you should've said 'im thinking of leaving because im paying over my budget

I know what you mean but it's like going into a supermarket and saying you want to pay less than £100 for your trolley full of groceries only to be met with a reply telling you to remove some of your products!

I think the end of the month is also the worse time to do it.
If they do, and I have no way of proving this other than most retailers offer monthly promotions, go by a quota of offers they can offer each month then ringing on the very last day of the month will be much less productive than at the start of a new month when they have a whole new pool of offers they can dish out.

I was told offers come and go everyday by one of skys workers... but i wouldnt be surprised if what you've said is true Alex.
GaryMo, with me, it turned out removing a channel package from my account would make it more expensive than keeping it, because they were giving me half price on the skyworld package only... The purpose of saying the above is that it gets the ball rolling instead of just saying 'can you cancel my account' which could put you in a situation
like misselljay...

BSkyB made £790 million PROFIT in the nine months to March 31! I should think retention deals arent going to hurt them too much when they are averaging over £87m per month profit. Give a deal and keep a customer paying you something or let them walk and pay you nothing? It makes sense for them to fight to keep you and with Sky Atlantic they have a new weapon in the fight against switching to Virgin. If I threatened to switch and they seen our viewing stats they would laugh down the phone at me, we are never off Sky Atlantic!

Source(for profit info):

Sky profits up by 24% | News | Broadcast

BSkyB made £790 million PROFIT in the nine months to March 31! I should think retention deals arent going to hurt them too much when they are averaging over £87m per month profit.

You would think so but every penny the subscriber has waived under a deal is put back into the accounts to maintain the Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) figure which is key to SKY maintaining it's stock market price and credit rating.

I'm sure the bean counters have proved spending £300 odd million on keeping existing customers not only pays for itself but long term generates more money via other options such as "free" call outs, replacement boxes, cheap "new" customer deals on additional products etc.
However it's only going to work as long as the majority of the customer base do not balk at paying full price:)

SKY Corporate is a better site for financial results etc (no subscription required unlike broadcast).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom