Cancelling Sky for BT effect on Sky Q?

snowy2004

Hi all,
This is a bit of a complex one :

My current setup is Sky FTTC - router connected via Ethernet to Sky Q main box. Ethernet from router into my home office with an eight port switch in there.

Rest of house connected via Wifi (mainly TV's and tablets/laptops) - One of the rear bedrooms has a Sky booster box in it to boost the WiFi.

The kitchen/diner has a Sky Mini connected via WiFi and the master bedroom has a Sky Mini connected via Wifi.

As I understand it, the Mini's act as a sort of Mesh network to distribute the WiFi as well.

Now, I have just noticed that Sky now has FTTP available at my address (finally) but only has a 500Mb product available which would cost me £45 per month.

BT, on the other hand, has a 900Mb product available at £55 per month but it comes with Xbox Gamepass as well (which I normally pay monthly for anyway) so it works out the same price but much higher speed.

What I was wondering is, if I swap from Sky to BT I am obviously going to lose the "mesh effect" that the Sky Mini's are providing for WiFi distribution. I was sondering just how effective they actually are and could I do without them. I could add BT's disc product but that is an extra £12 per month.

Is there any other functionality I would lose from Sky Q by moving from Sky Broadband to BT ?

I'm not worried about the costs really as my max FTTC speed is 38Mb so I have a second copper line to the house with Vodafone FTTC running on it and I (sort of) bond the two connections with Speedify. So I won't be paying the Vodafone bill any more and I can ditch the Speedify subscription as well - I will be saving over £40 per month on those.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome :)

EDIT: One thing I should mention - I have already ordered the Sky FTTP product as an upgrade yesterday so I am within the cancellation period no problems - I am assuming it would revert back to the previous contract and bill ? I would then have to cancel that as I have seven months left on the contract but I don't think the exit charge will be too horrendous as it is discounted.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Ah this new issue, what happens when the bottleneck is no longer my ISP speed?

Guess a question back at you first, what do you need an extra 400Mbps of “raw” speed for?

Do you have any devices (or needs) that could actually benefit from it?

The problem is a lot of the cheaper mesh/disc solutions are designed to work with speeds up to the top end of FTTC so around the 80 Mbps or so. As soon as you go north of 150Mbps then they bottleneck and although your ISP broadband connection is capable of 500 or 900Mbps you end up not utilising it properly and paying over the odds for the service.

You have to be careful with WiFi as your traditional wifi router will be at one side of the house so depending on the size and build of your house you might find is ok near by but the speed drops off too much lower at the opposite end. But having an access point or mesh then this can alleviate some of the speed loss. However you typically spend much more on higher speed ones that are typically triband or have wired backhauls to make the most of higher broadband speed.

You will often find the real world difference between 500 and 900 Mbps apart from speed tests and bragging rights is minimal. Servers can often be capped so windows update wrong for example download any quicker but steam game downloads will do.

For me it’s still hardwire as much as possible on gigabit LAN (no powerlines adapters) and make sure what ever Wi-Fi solution can give a good solid 50Mbps to multiple clients at same time in any room.

I would probably be tempted to stick with sky and try to see what it is like in the first 14 days.

snowy2004

Hi ChuckMountain - Thanks for the reply.

Well, anything on WiFi isn't "mine" - It's the kids devices or TV's or phones. And I have 5 kids all with multiple devices so the WiFi bandwidth get's pretty congested when they are all watching YouTube vids or TikTok (sometimes at the same time on multiple devices).

I try to keep out of that.

My phone rarely connects to the network and I have a great cell connection.

My servers and my workstation are all connected to the router via ethernet. As is the primary TV (a Sony running Android so it has it's own apps for streaming) and the main Sky Q box.

The only other thing connected via Ethernet is a TS140 running as a Plex server (and a workstation for my OH) - It serves various devices around the house so the kids can get their movie fix (although I wonder why it's needed when we have a full Sky movies sub, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YT Premium and probably a few others I forgot about - I'm sure there is a history type one in there but I can't remember it now AND all the kids tend to watch now is YT and TikTok!)

Here is my use case :

I am a programmer and have a few remote servers (located in the US) that I upload to and download from (sometime huge archives) multiple times a day. These have great bandwidth and are bare metal servers located on the IBM Softlayer network infrastructure (they aren't called that anymore but I can't remember what they changed their name to lol)

I get what you are saying totally about server caps being a possible limitation. I think maybe it is just being able to have the fastest possible pipe after so long of (intially) 38mb and then double that but with two physical copper lines and two lots of FTTC subs.

I am also a gamer and do download Steam/Ubisoft/Xbox etc... BUT updates and patches aren't that often I guess.

I guess the TL;DR is :

WiFi : I don't care as long as all the kids can watch the crap they want to watch without complaining it's too slow - YT/TikTok/Netflix etc...

Ethernet: I want as fast as possible speed BUT I realise that caps will be in place on even my own servers and I probably won't see much benefit between Sky and BT.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Ok re WiFi yes the important bit is keeping the kids connected as with the increased bandwidth they might consume higher-quality files. If they are anything like mine I don't need a broadband quality monitor they just moan when it doesn't work :)

If you do go to BT then plan on buying something to give you access points around the house.

Whereas you might get away with the Sky Minis and your kids.

You may benefit from the faster download and upload speed from the 900Mbps connection but you would need to check and make sure you are using multiple connections\threads when transferring from\to your servers. Either way it is going to hopefully be a better service for you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom