Cancelling Sky bluff. Gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1970

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to upgrade my current SKY+ to a HD box. I thought I would chance my arm to try and get a better deal with sky by asking to cancel. low and behold they let me cancel without offering me another deal. I fully expected to get right to the end for them to make me an offer but they didn't.

I feel a bit stupid now because I have to go back to sky and ask to cancel the cancellation.

Have I been a bit unlucky or have sky now got wise to this ploy?
Should I hang on a bit before I ring them?

Any views or help welcome.

Thanks
Chris

SKY have always been wise and only thus only allow their CS reps a finite amount of retention deals which are budgeted for in advance, SKY can not afford to subsidise too many subscribers before it's better to lose customers than keep them.

You can reverse the cancellation at any point in the months notice period, you should get a letter confirming cancellation soon but come on if you ring to reverse the cancellation the rep won't give a monkies about how it looks:)

There's been at least one other post similar to yours recently - Sky have possibly become less willing to haggle, Anyway, if you feel you're been too hasty - just reverse your decision while you can - it's water off a duck's back to them - after all, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why you might change your mind.

Have "stuck" this as an antidote to the regular posts about threanening to cancel, etc etc

Churn is still at a very low level for Sky, subscriber numbers are increasing and HD is still selling well wo there's no real incentive for Sky to subsidise you in a major way, especially if you have a low monthly spend.

I thought the same and indeed the same happened to me, the end of the cancellation period came and went and nothing from Sky. Infact some considerable time passed and still nothing. (we cancelled in October 2008). Then about 6 months later, the 'come back to Sky' flyers started coming through the door, again I held off, we didn't really miss it that much.

However, we've saved some money on our mobile contracts with absolutely stonking sim-only deals, so have now decided to have Sky back, but low and behold, nothing very exciting deal-wise and the flyers have stopped!

I'm a bit gutted to have missed the free Sky+HD box deal at Christmas, with £100 cashback from Quidco! :suicide:

Serves me right I guess, 'you snooze, you lose' as they say!! :thumbsdow

Update.

Well after being fed up that they never came back with an offer I went back cap in hand.

4 calls later and a bit of moaning free I got a free HD box and free installation to be done on Saturday.

Worth all the hassle in the end.

I thought the same and indeed the same happened to me, the end of the cancellation period came and went and nothing from Sky. Infact some considerable time passed and still nothing. (we cancelled in October 2008). Then about 6 months later, the 'come back to Sky' flyers started coming through the door, again I held off, we didn't really miss it that much.

However, we've saved some money on our mobile contracts with absolutely stonking sim-only deals, so have now decided to have Sky back, but low and behold, nothing very exciting deal-wise and the flyers have stopped!

I'm a bit gutted to have missed the free Sky+HD box deal at Christmas, with £100 cashback from Quidco! :suicide:

Serves me right I guess, 'you snooze, you lose' as they say!! :thumbsdow

You haven't missed out!
The current offer is better yet.You can now get an HD upgrade OR a new Sky HD contract For only £20 extra per month with FREE installation AND multiroom.
Without multiroom it is only £10 per month extra BUT you pay £60 installation.

So take multiroom and it will effectively cost you only £5 per month over 12 months.What you do at the end of the 12 month period is up to but theoretically you could cancel multiroom and sell your old STB to recover the £60.
To look at it another way.You have been supplied with a PVR in addition to your existing one which increases your recording capacity and allows you and other users in the property to also view and record totally different channels simultaneously for a paltry £60 for the year.

Under the offer you "missed out on" you had to take The Movie Channels,which would be an extra expense and I'm guessing from you saying you didn't miss sky that much that you would not want that.
So the current offer is better for you if you want Sky HD.

SammyB

I phoned up a couple of weeks ago and asked if they'd upgrade and install me from sky+ to hd+ for free. The guy said no, and I explained that if he didn't, then I would cancel and start a new contract.

He kept banging on at me that this wouldn't infact be a "new" contract but a re-activated contract and I wouldn't get anywhere.

So I hung up and phoned the cancellation line, and the woman there was extremely helpful and asked me why I was cancelling, so I told her and she just said, well, I'm sure I can sort you out. Couple of days later it was all upgraded, for nowt.

I guess it matters who you get on the other end of the line, and what side of the bed they got out of.

I phoned up a couple of weeks ago and asked if they'd upgrade and install me from sky+ to hd+ for free. The guy said no, and I explained that if he didn't, then I would cancel and start a new contract.

He kept banging on at me that this wouldn't infact be a "new" contract but a re-activated contract and I wouldn't get anywhere.

So I hung up and phoned the cancellation line, and the woman there was extremely helpful and asked me why I was cancelling, so I told her and she just said, well, I'm sure I can sort you out. Couple of days later it was all upgraded, for nowt.

I guess it matters who you get on the other end of the line, and what side of the bed they got out of.

Or it could matter that only the cancellations had the authority and the availability to offer you such a deal?

ok i unfortunately i work for sky.im going to give you the best advice.if you call up saying you'll cancel you may very well get an offer HOWEVER the best way to avoid backing yourself into a corner is just to be honest.call up and tell your situation be it financial reasons or just feel you deserve an offer and you are more likely to get an offer that way.a big issue we do have is people not willing to have a conversation if only about the weather and people that swear and shout at us.do that and even if we can give you that offer you will not get it for being aggressive and in many cases we will remove that offer off your account so no one else can give you it either.call us up,banter and have a laugh.now we do get a lot of people calling us up saying "hi my mate got this why cant i?!"simple,every account is different.each account has different offers.if you have been with sky for 2years you wont get an offer anywhere near as good as a customer that has been with us 6 years.also if your in contract you have no chance of an offer simply because if your unhappy tough your in contract.many people believe cancelling direct debit solves issues.it doesn't as sky know your address and your details so there is debt companies they can get to collect it. don't fool yourself if you think sky wont chase up £10 and after the claw back charges are applied you looking at hundreds of £££.with regards to sky only being able to give out certain amount of offers this is incorrect.sky has no limit on the offers. in fact they encourage it.it doesn't matter what sort of a day we have had because most of us feel good if we give someone an offer to help them so we don't tend to be in bad moods unless we have had one peeved off customer after another.customer services are useless so please if you call home move or cancellations(usually the same department)we truly do know how you feel as its you guys we need to deal with after they mess up your account and blame it on us.basically if you get through to me il give you an offer(s) even if you weren't looking for one.i will loose my job because of it but i like saving people money and i feel better about myself for helping someone out that really needed it.if you ever have any questions about sky i don't mind answering them so just send me a message

Ive been considering phoning up myself although the SKY is in my dad's name

I want a Sky+ box with multiroom but i dont wanna pay £49 for the box and i think its £30 installation fee, My dad has been a customer with Sky for at least 8 years now so do you think i could get a deal or would my dad have to ring up?!

Ive been considering phoning up myself although the SKY is in my dad's name

I want a Sky+ box with multiroom but i dont wanna pay £49 for the box and i think its £30 installation fee, My dad has been a customer with Sky for at least 8 years now so do you think i could get a deal or would my dad have to ring up?!

Always the account holder or pretend to be him with all the relevant information he would know, passwords, bank, addy etc etc but as you would imagine there are good reasons for only allowing account holders to manage accounts:)

As for calling well you can give it a go but £49 for a twin tuner PVR and £30 for a new LNB and install is a sodding bargain even if it's only offered by agreeing to pay them £120 over the next 12 months in subs.

I want a Sky+ box with multiroom but i dont wanna pay £49 for the box and i think its £30 installation fee,!

Yeah, and I want a Lamborghini for a couple of old Green Shield Stamp books..........

(You have to be of a certain age to understand that one........)

Last edited:
Which I'm sure he isn't.:D

Turns out the Sky+box is £199 plus installation fee and another £10 a month for multiroom!

Gonna have to definatley try haggle something because im not paying that much!

If your Dad does not have HD he may get a free HD box which will then free up his box for you.
You will be stuck with the £10/mo multi-room, and £10/mo HD subscriptions though.

Last edited:
No because all SKY+ boxes now are the HD ones just without the HD subscription obviously

So id get the sky+ box in my room :D

Hi

Here is a variation of the theme.
I actually want to cancel sky, I was with VM and I still am for BB. I do not want to change my BB so I will go back to them for tv as well for 2 reasons
1 I bought a freesat tv which I cannot use because sky uses the satalite
2 I am hoping that the whole package will be slightly cheaper pro rata.
Question is my son found a cancellation document, (really hard to find they don't like you cancelling) and it said they would collect the box AND minidish and might charge us to take it down etc etc, so picture me confused, I thought the satelite was mine why else am I paying a breakdown premium :confused: the months notice is understandable & no prob but I don't want to loose my satelite.
So can anyone enlighten me, don't want to phone customer services to cancel until it's all done and dusted
Thanks all

Question is my son found a cancellation document, (really hard to find they don't like you cancelling) and it said they would collect the box AND minidish and might charge us to take it down etc etc,

Absolute rot! If you got your equipment from Sky it is yours to keep from the time of installation.

..why else am I paying a breakdown premium..

Why indeed? Nobody with any sense would take out a , (99% bogus), insurance policy when Sky will replace everything for a one off £65 payment.

Cancel Sky, and you get to keep your satellite dish (and Sky box).

I agree with Styevanage Neil.

If they still own the equipment, why do they charge YOU to repair it?

When I deabted the repair charge with a guy year, he said it was like buying a TV. Once the warranty runs out, it's your responsibility to pay for repairs.

Therefore, it's YOUR equipment.

a cancellation document....said they would collect the box AND minidish and might charge us to take it down
Can you say where that was?
It needs to be corrected.

Can you say where that was?
It needs to be corrected.

Hi

Thank you. Yes I can, but he saved it as a word document for me so I will need to wait and ask him for the link, will post it as soon as I have it. Maybe I am misreading it. It was difficult to find info on cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom