1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelling O2 contract, where next, 3?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by monkeynuts, Sep 26, 2004.

1. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have had enough of paying nearly £40 for 200 anytime anynetwork minutes and 150 texts, so am cancelling my contract (up 25th ish of october).

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good deals around?

I have been round all the phone shops and get fedup with there "special" offers and often very unhelpful assistants (apologies if you are a knowledgible assistant!)

I am very tempted by 3's 12months 1/2 price line rental offer, but am not sure if it'll still be available in october and why on earth can't they release some more phones!

(Oh and i really need a bluetooth phone to use with a headset!)

Any help very greatfully received!

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. alansedge

alansedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Hopefully others have found the service different but my brother has just left 3 as he said the customer service was pretty bad. Like i say, hopefully this is an isolated incident, as i had intended to switch to them soon also.

Have you looked at the o2 online tarrifs, as far as i remember there a fair bit cheaper than the "instore special offers".

Hope this helps,

Alan.

3. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    More phones are coming in the run-in to Christmas, if you can hang on a little longer.....

4. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Was with 3 network recently. Cancelled it because it's reception/coverage was very poor. I know few other 3 users who complain of poor network coverage. Months ago 3 network was voted as one of the most complained about service by a consumer programme on TV (not by Watchdog).

They attract you with special offers but cannot provide the service you expect and once you sign on the dotted line you are committed for 12 months :suicide:

5. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agreed, a few months ago things were poor but I've found the coverage in my area has improved a great deal. Also, the first generation of handsets were also poor (NEC 606 springs to mind) but again these have improved. I've got the LG and really rate it. They've got some new phones coming out soon and if you live in an area with good coverage your laughing with their cheap price plans :thumbsup:

Waz, where was it that you had poor coverage?

6. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have also heard bad thing about their customer service, poor signal and even poorer range of phones!

Can someone confirm what i've been told elsewhere: when it loses 3 signal, the phone switches to O2 network, but has to drop the call first?!

Also, anyone got any idea when more phones are coming out? I know the Z1010 is way overdue and probably dated before it's even out!

I have a feeling i'm going to miss out on the opportunity to get a 500min contract for the current £12.50 a month (for 12 months in some online shops) if i don't sign up soon.....any ideas?!

Thanks for the replies so far!

7. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It does 'fall back' to 02 when it loses the 3 signal but I don't think I've ever dropped a call. 3 have dropped the Z1010 from their lineup, I've seen one in the flesh and it's not the most attractive (or smallest) phone. Thought the LG was better.

As far as I know the £12.50 offer will be on for a while (probably till xmas) so you should be ok. :clap:

8. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thats good to hear, i've just been looking again, and no matter how much i look i still can't find a suitable phone (keep hoping i've missed a phone somewhere!!)

I've had a look at the LG 8120 and its not a bad size, but its not blue tooth and unless you can buy a decent car kit for it, i'd rather find a bluetooth phone for my headset...

9. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I saw that in another thread about 10 mins ago and was impressed with having them all there on one page!

Thanks for the link again, be easier to find now :)

11. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Wait for the LG8130 as I think it's got bluetooth, should be out in a month or two.

12. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Some pretty good offers on at BT Mobile at the mo'

13. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has anyone got an NEC E616 phone? Seems to be the only half decent 3 phone that has bluetooth.

Could you possibly post any thoughts on it?

Cheers

14. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    www.thecarphonewarehouse.com has the offer ending end of october

15. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i live near the centre of nottingham

16. geordie_nicola

geordie_nicola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats pretty much exactly what I was going to answer with... Ive heard of a few people who have had trouble with 3.

And was also going to ask if he had looked at the o2 online offers. For my tarrif its 200 anytime mins and 500 txts for £30 a month. The best deal I could find by far!

I am on orange as well but Im cancelling my contract come January as I find its costing me FAR too much money!

17. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just an update!

I gave in to the 3 deals and got the 500 anytime minutes and 100 texts for £15 a month (1/2price line rental for 12months) i also got the new LG 8120 phone which is nice and easy to use (texts just like a nokia)......but it doesn't have bluetooth which i need for my headset in the car...

....so i bought a threepay NEC E616V from argos for £64.99 (bargain!) and am using that instead.

Haven't had to deal with customer services yet, and by the sounds of it i don't want to!

Also, having no problems using the phone as it roams onto O2 network which is the best available where i live (voda doesn't even work and orange isn't great)

18. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    regarding the 3 network i had a chat with a sales rep in phones4u shop. He tells me that you have 14 days in which to cancel the contract if you are unhappy.

if you have any doubts about 3 network then give it a try and check for reception.

as for the customer service it depends on who you get. they are either helpful or don't know what they are talking about. Being in India doesn't help a lot.

i had problems with 3 network reception on nec606 phone.