Cancelling new car order

guest11

Novice Member
Hi - I am looking for some advice..
We paid a £300 deposit at the end of August for a new electric car (it is already in stock at the dealer) and are waiting for an interest free loan from the energysavingtrust to conclude the purchase. The funds will be released soon. The dealer was aware of the long delay with getting the finance (due to covid) as it was them who told us about the 0% loans.
As part of the deal we were offered (among other things) a free, home charge point (with standard installation). The company that has been contracted to install the chargers is around 140 miles away, so they asked for photos etc of my house and then came up with a quote. It turns out that the charge point is not free: the car manufacturer will fund approx £500, then there are the olev and Scottish grants of £350 & £300, leaving me to pay £200 myself (not free, but also not really a deal breaker).
A few weeks ago, the installer offered my one date for installation this month (one of the few days I won't be home), and because I can't take this one date, they say that they might be back 'Novemberish'. I have asked what exactly this means, and can we pencil in a date, to which they replied no, because they need a weeks worth of work in my area before they make the journey.
So.. the charger might be installed in November but it might not..

I have spoken with the car dealer who said this isn't right. They asked me to email the communication with the installer to them, which I have done a week ago, then nothing but silence.

Does this sound reasonable or am I asking too much?
I don't need the charger to be installed before we take delivery of the vehicle, however as I have to drive to work every day, we will have to run a granny charger out of an open window overnight to charge it - neither very safe security wise, or to keep the heat in the house in November, for an unknown length of time (I can't charge it at work, and don't really have the time to sit at a public charge point every day.

We initially looked at the car at the dealer, but paid the deposit by credit card over the phone. The lack of trust I now have in the installation company is making me question whether I want them to do the work (I asked the dealer if they would give a discount on the purchase price if I organised my own charge point but the answer was no). The dealer has also now gone quiet, so I guess they showed concern about the 'situation' to placate me but aren't really interested?

Would I be within my right to tell the dealer that I am delaying taking delivery / paying for the car until the chargepoint is installed (as I said above, I have no trust in this company), and worst case, if the dealer gets agro, am I able to cancel the 'contract' altogether? I have never signed anything, just paid a deposit over the phone plus the fact that the charge point isn't free (I wasn't really bothered about the £200 until the lack of commitment from the installation company)

The home chargepoint is such a minor part of buying this car, but it has taken the enjoyment out of the anticipation of our new car. Perhaps we are being unreasonable, I don't know..)

thanks

John7

Can you not drill a hole in a wall/window frame to run the charger cable through as a temporary measure? That would solve your security issue.

IronGiant

I wouldn't cancel your order over the charge point installation issue. I am surprised the installation is costing £1350 though, if I've done my sums right.

guest11

Novice Member
Yes, approx £1350. I think they are chancers and trying to charge as much as possible. I cant change installer/get a better quote as the dealer wont allow it..

Yes, I guess I could drill a hole in my wall but it is a bit of an extreme measure all because the installer can't get his act together. If they gave a week for installation, I would be happy but they won't commit to anything..

IronGiant

We picked our EV up on the day before lockdown, arranged a charger installation through Rolec and the local installer bailed out "due to COVID". Although we have an external socket, we never needed the granny charger as we weren't driving anywhere. We contacted Rolec in August to try again and it was installed on the Bank Holiday Monday. They sorted out the OLEV grant and the manufacturers contribution so it cost us nothing for a standard installation. We paid extra for a 10m cable so we don't have to park nose in. It might be worth cancelling your installation and trying someone who will do similar to what Rolec did. There was a clause that we had to have it installed within 90?days of vehicle purchase unless there was a good reason, and it seems that COVID was one.

guest11

Novice Member
I cant cancel, unless I want to pay for it myself (excluding olev etc). The free charger was part of the reason we went with this car/dealer (even although it turns out that our standard installation isn't free). They simply won't entertain me using someone else.. (I need to drive 80-100 miles per day for work so need to charge the car most evenings).

Last edited:

IronGiant

We've had two EV's and each time we arranged our own installation and the installer sorted out the grant and manufactures contribution. What car is it?

mikeysthoughts

You should be able to disconnect the car purchase from the charging point installation. If you cannot, then you may claim that this is a 'frustration of contract' because a charging point is an essential component of EV ownership and it cannot be delivered in a reasonable and agreed timeframe. You should not be forced to rely on an open window to power your primary vehicle - and your home insurer will not cover you if the worst were to happen.

In that instance you will not lose your deposit. Worst-case your credit card company should cover you (this becomes less clear if it's a HP finance agreement, and/or if the car purchase price exceeds £30k, but as it's only the £300 deposit you should be covered).

£1350 sounds very high for a charging point installation. I was quoted £750 (before grants and incentives) a couple of years ago. Suggest you source a couple of other quotes; you may find that the OLEV and Scottish grants cover almost the full amount.

guest11

Novice Member
I have tried to offer alternatives - a small reduction in price and I organise my own charge point and asking the dealer to use a local installer (based near their premises) but the answer is just no. They won't budge on this. I can only guess that nationally, the manufacturer has contracted an installer in each 'region', therefore we are stuck with an installer that is based nowhere near where we live. This also raises the question of what happens if a fault/warranty issue arises - if the installer won't commit to fitting the charger before they have been paid, what chance will we have of getting help once they have been paid?..
I had a quote earlier this year for an installation and it was approx £1000, less £350 olev, plut VAT less £300 (EST) = £480 to be paid by me. My 'free' charger will be £200 paid by me.

Is it reasonable for me to tell the dealer that I won't pay for the car until the charger is installed (due to my lack of trust in the installer)?

Last edited:

mikeysthoughts

I have tried to offer alternatives - a small reduction in price and I organise my own charge point and asking the dealer to use a local installer (based near their premises) but the answer is just no
Regardless of the dealer's opinion on the matter, what does your purchase/finance contract say?

If the purchase contract or finance offer requires you to order the charging point from a single supplier that they have chosen, you must do your best to understand why. This is borderline anti-competitive practice and explains the high cost of install.

Is it reasonable for me to tell the dealer that I won't pay for the car until the charger is installed
It's reasonable for you to refuse to complete the purchase and refuse to take ownership of the vehicle. It is not reasonable for you to refuse to pay for the vehicle once you've completed the purchase, and the bailiffs will be in touch soon after.

mikeysthoughts

This also raises the question of what happens if a fault/warranty issue arises - if the installer won't commit to fitting the charger before they have been paid, what chance will we have of getting help once they have been paid?..
I had a quote earlier this year for an installation and it was approx £1000, less £350 olev, plut VAT less £300 (EST) = £480 to be paid by me. My 'free' charger will be £200 paid by me.
I'd be sceptical about your chances of repair under warranty... Make sure your contract and warranty documentation is watertight. I.e. it specifies a fix time and gives detail of what happens if they don't fix in that time. 'Reasonable endeavours' doesn't cut it here, as they will clearly claim that having to travel x miles to get to you isn't reasonable.

To the cost: they are 35% more expensive, reluctant to deliver the work, and you have concerns about their willingness to provide adequate service after installation... I know it's easy for me to say as it's not my money, but that additional £280 might be worth forking out if it gives you greater control and long term confidence.

stblob

Lol. When I borrowed my friends BMW i3, I just put the cable through the letter box onto the 3 pin socket. Worked just fine for a temporary measure.

guest11

Novice Member
We don't have a letter box in our door as the postman leaves our mail in a box at the end of our road. Otherwise that would be the simple solution!

outoftheknow

Look at the contract where it says you must use that installer. I can’t see how OLEV and government grants can be tied to a company at by purchase contract - yes I know the words can be there but I doubt it is a valid clause.

research having an install and how to apply for the grants yourself. Get quotes and ask other installers how they can do it with grants. Go to the dealer with that and tell them you don’t want their “free” installation.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom