• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cancelling an Order With DFS

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Any advice on who to contact for advise on cancelling an order from DFS.

We received a letter saying it was going to be another month before delivery due to "delays".

We rang to say we wish to cancel the order and the DFS sales manager said your not allowed to cancel an order with us once you make it.

Is this watertight, any advise on how to go about cancelling an order with DFS.

It's a standard sofa from their showroom, we have not paid for it and it has not been delivered, is the consumer allowed any cool off period on goods that are neither delivered or paid for ?

Any advice appreciated..

bigbobsgtr

Standard Member
Doesn`t sound too much of a problem, go to the store, tell them they have failed to keep their side of the contract by delivering on time so you no longer want it. If it`s not paid for i wouldn`t worry too much, not like you need to try and get a refund!

Bob

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately at this point the delivery is still not late as the contract in the small print states 12 weeks although the salesmen said 10 weeks. The letter we have recieved if the delivery does take as long as it states would take us past even the 12 weeks.

The manager on the phone a Mr David Rogers was incredibly smug, basically adopted the "you signed for it you can lump it" attitude.

I would suggest anybody considering purchasing a sofa from DFS be very very careful.

They have a piece of text at the bottom of their contract which says the sofa is made to "your specification".

This seems to be some kind of legalise to suggest it's custom made.

When I pointed out that it was a completely standard sofa from their showroom, not custom made in anyway and available from their website in the same dimensions etc, he then said that it's made to our specification because we ordered a 3 seater and a 2 seater and that's a specification. :rolleyes: We ordered a 3 seater and a 2 seater because that's what was in the showroom, nothing custom made about it in anyway.

I'm going to take some legal advice now and I'll drop an email to watch dog just see if they have any more DFS horror stories.

It seems to be one of those companies with which the consumer has no rights of any kind, no cooling off period, even if the goods have not been delivered or are going to be delivered late and so on.

Kebabhead

Distinguished Member
When you initially ordered the sofa did they tell you once you signed the contract you couldn't get out of it

They did when we ordered our sofa from them 4 months ago

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
My friend successfully cancelled a sofa from DFS. I'll find out how he did it.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
When you initially ordered the sofa did they tell you once you signed the contract you couldn't get out of it

They did when we ordered our sofa from them 4 months ago

No nothing verbal at all and it doesn't actually use the words "you can't cancel" even on the contract itself however it does say in size 1 italics at the bottom "this order is a legally binding contract" which is the same thing I guess.

Just spoke to trading standards advise who apparently have constant calls about DFS but they basically said that your screwed with DFS unless they don't meet the delivery date they agreed on.

He's advised me to send a letter registered post making it clear they can take this letter as cancellation if the sofa does not turn up other than that he said basically the consumer is really in a weak position with DFS.

I think they may have this sewn up, but I'm going to fire off a letter to watchdog anyway explaining the situation as the law's so heavily balanced in their favour with essentially no cool down period of any kind, nothing even if the product has not been delivered.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
How DFS work is like this. They make enough furniture to stock the stores. Then anything you purchase is made - whether it's exactly the same as the store stock or not - it all has to be made.

So when you agree the purchase they set about making your chairs. I imagine that DFS put pressure on the stores not to allow cancellations as they would be left with a chair that they would have to sell at discount etc.

By doing the above their inventory is small and they don't have money tied up in stock that could rapidly go "out of fashion." They also don't require huge warehouses to store all the pre-made stock.

We got our sofa from a similar style store. Came within 12 weeks and we've been totally happy with it. Great price, great workmanship, great quality leather etc.

I think it's only when customers want to cancel that the problems arise. If it doesn't come within the 12 weeks then you have every right to complain and even cancel.

Consider the same sort of deal on the trading forums here. Seller says they have an item for sale and that it will be delivered within 12 weeks. Buyer says "fine - I agree, 12 weeks at the latest then" - then the buyer pulls out. Who would get the trading ban - the buyer.

Same situation here. You agreed to purchase an item - even signing a contract. Although I can sympathise the contract cleary states that delivery can take up to 12 weeks - hence why trading standards can't even help you. I think your only hope is that they over-run the 12 weeks - but I bet they won't!

andykn

Just spoke to trading standards advise who apparently have constant calls about DFS but they basically said that your screwed with DFS unless they don't meet the delivery date they agreed on.

He's advised me to send a letter registered post making it clear they can take this letter as cancellation if the sofa does not turn up other than that he said basically the consumer is really in a weak position with DFS.

I think they may have this sewn up, but I'm going to fire off a letter to watchdog anyway explaining the situation as the law's so heavily balanced in their favour with essentially no cool down period of any kind, nothing even if the product has not been delivered.

But didn't you say that DFS aren't going to meet their contractually agreed delivery timescale; so you can cancel.

If you sign a binding contract for 12 weeks and DFS meet 12 weeks its hardly a surprise that you are in a weak position.

The "distance selling" 7 day cooling off period is becasue you don't gat a chance to physically see the goods off the internet or phone. As you've seen the goods and agreed a contract with 12 weeks delivery, I think it's a bit much to expect a "cooling off" period by law.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
How DFS work is like this. They make enough furniture to stock the stores. Then anything you purchase is made - whether it's exactly the same as the store stock or not - it all has to be made.

So when you agree the purchase they set about making your chairs. I imagine that DFS put pressure on the stores not to allow cancellations as they would be left with a chair that they would have to sell at discount etc.

By doing the above their inventory is small and they don't have money tied up in stock that could rapidly go "out of fashion." They also don't require huge warehouses to store all the pre-made stock.

We got our sofa from a similar style store. Came within 12 weeks and we've been totally happy with it. Great price, great workmanship, great quality leather etc.

I think it's only when customers want to cancel that the problems arise. If it doesn't come within the 12 weeks then you have every right to complain and even cancel.

Consider the same sort of deal on the trading forums here. Seller says they have an item for sale and that it will be delivered within 12 weeks. Buyer says "fine - I agree, 12 weeks at the latest then" - then the buyer pulls out. Who would get the trading ban - the buyer.

Same situation here. You agreed to purchase an item - even signing a contract. Although I can sympathise the contract cleary states that delivery can take up to 12 weeks - hence why trading standards can't even help you. I think your only hope is that they over-run the 12 weeks - but I bet they won't!

For sure, I'm aware of the obviousness of paras 1-3, otherwise you would simply drive away with it. That said, I did presume some kind of rights would be afforded the consumer, I assumed incorrectly.

It's a standard item it should simply mean the next customer should receive a less substantial delivery date, there's nothing lost as such here in real terms to DFS. They could certainly deal with this in a manner which didn't spread the rife internet complaints they already have even if if by the letter of the law they don't have to.

Seems to me very much a case of "get em to sign then we've got em" type company, and the managers attitude was very much along those lines when I rang in.

No doubt legally speaking it's a non issue, the contract is there in black and white, albeit tiny 1 pt italic wording , but it's there.

There is a degree of comparisom to the trading forums however the key difference is simple. In the trading forums a member might have multiple offers for his item and so would be putting off potential sales for another member , this is not the case for a sofa from DFS.

Anyway, as I've already stipulated I'm sending in my letter making it very clear that the order is cancelled if it does not arrive within the initial delivery date and will go from there.

At this point folks I'm purely after any advice on similar experiences , I'm already aware of the fragile leg I'm standing on.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
But didn't you say that DFS aren't going to meet their contractually agreed delivery timescale; so you can cancel.

If you sign a binding contract for 12 weeks and DFS meet 12 weeks its hardly a surprise that you are in a weak position.

The "distance selling" 7 day cooling off period is becasue you don't gat a chance to physically see the goods off the internet or phone. As you've seen the goods and agreed a contract with 12 weeks delivery, I think it's a bit much to expect a "cooling off" period by law.

Yup, this is basically the case, but trading standards are saying that until they don't meet that delivery date, It's not possible to cancel, even if they have stated in writing it may well go past the delivery date.

It seems the only course of action is the letter sent via registered post based on the delivery contract.

Something tellls me as the previous poster stated, that they will magically manage to deliver it on time .

Re cooling off, I guess if this was some custom made to measure sofa, not an entirely standard DFS sofa, available from their website and all stores, I would be 100% in agreement, absolutely, this is just a bog standard sofa which could be simply delivered to the next customer who ordered the exact same sofa from one of the hundreds of stores.

So while of course it's clear, they hold all the cards, I guess my feeling is whether this had been myself or somebody else in this situation I would have thought the consumer should have some ability to change their mind as long as they item is not custom made or already delivered and so on.

Bit much to cancel once they spend time money etc delivering it and so on, but at this point , all they need to do is pass it on to the next customer.

It's really a case of a major brand desperately not wanting to have to lose a sale.

Westindieman

TBH I can see the stores point in this and think it must be an administrative nightmare to re-allocate orders to someone else if someone wants to cancel. You say standard item, but you forget the fabric catalogue they showed you with a choice of colours, material or leathers.

Orson

Failing the cancellation route, and them managing to deliver inside the 12 week timescale, there is the possibility it may arrive 'damaged' ;) when you inspect it.

Thus giving you the chance to reject it, and then giving them a 'resonable' time to rectify the problem. Whereupon I'm sure you could find another problem. :D
Be careful on witholding payment, depending on the method chosen, as if you've signed up for the buy now pay later interest free offer, you may have entered into an agreement with a seperate finance company.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
TBH I can see the stores point in this and think it must be an administrative nightmare to re-allocate orders to someone else if someone wants to cancel. You say standard item, but you forget the fabric catalogue they showed you with a choice of colours, material or leathers.

I think it has vastly more to do that loosing a sale and the managers figures than the complexity of seeing who else has ordered the same sofa, they already have to determine the back log of orders for the specific sofa when they quote you the figure.

As far as colours etc go, it's a leather sofa, only available in one finish, it's completley standardised in every way.

As I say, had this got to delivery day or, it was some kind of bespoke ordered item, sizewise , finishwise or colourwise and so on then I wouldn't have any issue with it or even asked to cancel.

It's utterly bog standard in every way... You can only order it as it is no colour options etc.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Failing the cancellation route, and them managing to deliver inside the 12 week timescale, there is the possibility it may arrive 'damaged' ;) when you inspect it.

Thus giving you the chance to reject it, and then giving them a 'resonable' time to rectify the problem. Whereupon I'm sure you could find another problem. :D
Be careful on witholding payment, depending on the method chosen, as if you've signed up for the buy now pay later interest free offer, you may have entered into an agreement with a seperate finance company.

Yeah, I don't want to go down that route, not my style although just to annoy them it has it's wicked side :devil:, I'm to honest at this stage in life to play the game that way .

Actually the credit agreement is easy to cancel, it's the one thing I can cancel and with ease with no punitive measures, you have 30 days to cancel it from the day it commences.

Problem is you would still have to pay DFS instead.

I'm pretty well lumbered, no doubt about it, case of live and learn, it's the first time in as long as I can remember I've purchased from this kind of company, I usually use firms with a more personal touch for furniture and larger items, guess I've learnt my lesson ...

I'll fire off my letter on the delivery and go from there..

Kieron

Distinguished Member
At this point folks I'm purely after any advice on similar experiences , I'm already aware of the fragile leg I'm standing on.

What do you want people to tell you as similar experiences? The situation is black and white -

If it's delivered before the 12 weeks are up then it's yours. You bought it.

If it's delayed past the 12 weeks then you cancel - that's your legal right. The contract clearly stipulates that delivery will be within 12 weeks.

That's basically it.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
What do you want people to tell you as similar experiences? The situation is black and white -

I want them to hopefully tell me things like this:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7064198&postcount=6

Kieron at this point your only stating the obvious , much of which I have already stated myself.

If it's delayed past the 12 weeks then you cancel - that's your legal right. The contract clearly stipulates that delivery will be within 12 weeks.

That's basically it

Yes, as I've already stated myself.

I'm simply interested to see if anybody has had a similar experience and may have found a legal loophole I can utlise. Although it seems black and white to me as well at this point you'll excuse me if don't take purely your word on the matter and at least try to put the feelers out.

Your comments are already duly noted.

dan54

I just dont understand why anyone would order anything with a 3 month waiting time! I ordered my sofas online and they were delivered in 3 days!:thumbsup:

If you had done a spot of googling you would have read some interesting stuff about certain furniture stores and their reputations.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
I just dont understand why anyone would order anything with a 3 month waiting time! I ordered my sofas online and they were delivered in 3 days!:thumbsup:

If you had done a spot of googling you would have read some interesting stuff about certain furniture stores and their reputations.

Yes agreed, not my finest hour, quite staggering how many complaints there are about DFS generally.

Unless somebody comes up with a solution or they don't deliver on time I'm going to have to lump it.

funkyspider

Although you've not had much help it's been a valuable thread.

I will be looking for a new sofa in the near future so thanks for the info.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member

Agreed - John Lewis - which we used (or Argos/Next), paid for and delivered in days.

Kristian

I'll fire off my letter on the delivery and go from there..

Assuming you still don't actually want the sofa, wouldn't you be better off sending the 'cancelling because it's late' letter on the last day that the sofa should have been delivered. The problem you may get if you send it earlier is they make sure you get your sofa before the delivery deadline - probably one that was earmarked for someone else but sent to you instead because you want to cancel...

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
The actual quality of the sofas from DFS are pretty good, it's all the other mess that surrounds them that makes them risky...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom